Newest Member
    joxey
Mid Atlantic Snow totals thread for winter 2015/16

Midlo Snow Maker

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First serious draft.

I pulled data points from American members, CoCoRaHs, COOPs and WBAN stations. 

In some cases I had no data what so ever for areas and made a guess on what it should be (see southern VA). In other cases, I don't know if the data is right or wrong (see the area of 35-40 in VA, Warrenton area).

I had to tweak some of the data so it showed up correctly, see Parsons Ride. I only had a few data points in that area but knew they were all in the 40-45 range, so I hand drew it so that total range ran from I83 Blizzard down to just north of Sparky (who had 39). 

Also did some cleaning up out near Winchester, the Das jackpot zone and places on the lower eastern shore. 

If you see something wonky, LET ME KNOW. 

Thanks guys :)

Great map!

it helps when the data points plot up properly too I bet.

You can only go with the numbers reported so having bubbles show up can be expected.  Seems like that happens every year depending on the number of storms in a snow season.

Getting 80-90% of our snow in just one event is a bit unusual tho.  lol

The map looks great, thanks for doing it.

SE Harford looks great with that anti-jackpot.

its not finalized, will add city locations, labels, etc. waiting to hear back from Ian on whether CWG wants it or not. Hartford county is weird... Ravens with 45 then other people in the upper 20s along the water. No idea whats right/wrong. Very few data locations in the county. 

Mappy- just curious, what did Emittsburg coop have for a season total?

31 is what i have, with 0 days missing

Curious to know what that map would look like with and without the January snowfall amount.

that would be time consuming to do. i download the data with nothing but the total for each site. I'd have to go onto CoCoRaHs and COOP to get station print out to know how much to delete from each total. 

it would be a boring map. 

For example, IMBY without the January storm I only have 8.9 inches of snow

New Windsor, Carroll County: 42"

Gaithersburg, Montgomery County: 44"

Sidebar for Mapgirl, did you use Inverse Distance Weighting?

Always do with these, then I smooth areas out. Made the raster into polygons and went from there. Pretty sure I have both of those locations. Would have to check..Wednesday. TUgis tomorrow in Towson...

Always do with these, then I smooth areas out. Made the raster into polygons and went from there. Pretty sure I have both of those locations. Would have to check..Wednesday. TUgis tomorrow in Towson...

Enjoy TUgis, apparently Baltimore is too far for me to go for training now according to the boss. :wacko:

Archived