joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid Atlantic Snow totals thread for winter 2015/16

Midlo Snow Maker

1/17 - .25

1/20 - .5

1/22,23 - 28

Like most I found this storm difficult to measure due to winds.   I have settled on 28" as my total even though 2 spotters a couple of miles either side of me both reported > 30", so I am being somewhat conservative.  This puts this storm just a couple of inches below Jan 96 30 inch total as the second biggest single storm I have ever witnessed, just barely above the dual blizzards in Feb. 2010 which were 26 and 27 inches. The drifting pattern in my driveway reminded me of the Jan 96 storm in some ways.  I think Jan 96 rightfully deserves to remain the top storm in my neighborhood.

Total 28.75

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm basing mine off nearby spotters who all reported 29, plus a Twitter follower who lives up the road from me, we also reported 29. I know my measurement wasn't correct, I was using the driveway Saturday and then shoveled it. So then it was an estimate on how much fell after the shoveling. I was on par with other spotters until about 11, when we finished shoveled.

If you feel yours was lower than surrounding reports, then adjust as see fit. I saw a measurement of 28" for cockeysville... So I'd go with that if you think yours was off.

Thanks, that was really helpful.

So I decided to revise my total to 27.5".... it's my best estimate of what actually fell in my yard based on my measurements and the reports around me. 

I'll also add 0.5" to account for the handful of dustings earlier in the month, giving me a round 28" for the seasonal total to date.

MY BACKYARD

1/4/16....... Trace several snow showers from an arctic front

1/17/16...... 0.8" western edge of an off shore coastal

1/20/16.......Trace weakening clipper

1/22/23/16. 15.5" coastal snow/sleet/ mega wrap around band over ric

TOTAL 16.3"

coldest temp 12

RIC

1/17/16...... 0.7"

1/20/16.......Trace

1/22/23/16. 11.4"

TOTAL 12.1"

coldest temp 13

Mappy- I know you have limited reports at this time, but the < 20 area is much more extensive...right along the bay and on the eastern shore closer to the bay were under 20, and got less than the interior(upper shore and N DE) where amounts were 12-18". I work in Easton and there was under a foot there, probably more like 10-11. I believe I saw a report of 8 at Cambridge. There were significant mixing issues from Easton south and east, along with the dry slot, limiting accumulations. 

Oh yeah, I believe that. What you see is literally only the members who gave me totals. some I didn't put lat/long in for yet either, so they aren't being shown on the map.

i'll have another list of COOP and CoCoRaH reports too to combine with these to add more data. That should help with contours. My post was sort of a joke response to WWL saying it wasn't a single contour anymore ;) 

I was originally going to wait until the end of the season to list all my totals in one post but since that map is so overstated for my area I have to respond now  :)

1/4: T

1/17: 0.1"

1/20: 1.0"

1/22-23: 15.5"

Total: 16.6"

These were all sent to LWX as spotter reports and all appear under their event maps as well.

Archived