• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
October, at the moment peering forward, a wild stormy affair?

Typhoon Tip

Pretty sure PF was kidding... Sample size is such that he'd sign for the 1-3' and take his chances.... At least, I would...

Haha yup.

Well some posters are afraid that October snows lead to poor winters...but they are also afraid that if October isn't stormy, then the season won't be very active.

So we need a stormy pattern in October, but no snow. Just lots of rainstorms.

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha yup.

Well some posters are afraid that October snows lead to poor winters...but they are also afraid that if October isn't stormy, then the season won't be very active.

So we need a stormy pattern in October, but no snow. Just lots of rainstorms.

We want cold and stormy Octobers...just not snow.

A torch October is bad, a dry October is bad, and snowy Octobers are bad.

Out in clown range, but that is the type of look you'd want to get a White Halloween potential. Real arctic high coming in from the plains with some sort of mechanism for cyclogenesis coming out of the south...but ensembles are quite a bit more muted than that look...which is to be expected.

Out in clown range, but that is the type of look you'd want to get a White Halloween potential. Real arctic high coming in from the plains with some sort of mechanism for cyclogenesis coming out of the south...but ensembles are quite a bit more muted than that look...which is to be expected.

Kind of how Snowtober storm started

Seems like some hints at a possible turn to stormy end of month and potential white Helloween. Euro ENS with decent agreement on coastal storm. Whether or not it's a screamer or cold storm remains to be seen

I like how you left out the benchmark rainer south of the pike possibility.

Looks like a nice -EPO block with a very cold airmass moving into the Canadian Prairies. -20C 850s from the North Pole to Manitoba/Saskatchewan. Sharp temperature gradient off the coast could lead to cyclogenesis should the progged pattern verify.

sounds like wsi is taking the path of least regret by simply acknowledging the scale of the warm -enso as being so extreme, it really should have proxy on the circulation et al, and be observable much of the time.

correlation on that is/was as follows...

can't say i disagree in principle; for one, the polar field arc of indices that impact n/a are too stochastic at seasonal time scales to predict, let alone, whether they have enough compensating signal to off-set...  

unfortunately though, they can and do at times have enough weight in the system to impose the anti-correlation in the 'poker game' of seasonal guess work.  that's a deck of cards that just too difficult to count. 

that's why my own ideas on the season were generally warmer than normal, with some colder impact intervals sprinkled in. that's sort of nod both to wsi vision, and acknowledging the recent trend of -epo-ao.  

Next week's storm seems to have more of a Lakes cutter look for now. We'll see if that changes but for now it seems like Nrg in the northern stream comes into the N plains and phases with the low coming up out of the Gulf and cuts west.

I expect a phase change event with lots of precip followed by a turn to a much milder first week of Nov

I was just thinking of that as I scrolled down to your reply.

Been starting to practice some techniques to roll out the eight week forecast. One method says Novie is pretty mild with stormy colder trough to set up end of the month, Dec surprised me, just a little example of some stuff I have been working on, this would be valid  week of Dec 7th or so

Archived