• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
October, at the moment peering forward, a wild stormy affair?

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty cold next 2 days upcoming with 40's in hills .. Low 50's valley and coast with freezing and below nights. Then torch cutter with big winds and another nice cold shot Friday and Helloween with most towns staying in the 40's

Most soundings in the area are still pretty inverted when the core of the +3-5 SD LLJ comes overhead. Maybe your best bet would be with an isallobaric couplet as the front switches winds around to the WSW.

Probably 40-45 mph gusts across SE sections and possibly the higher terrain. I'm not seeing 50-60 based on the modeling right now. The fact is most of these type events don't really produce widespread damage with a 992 near Buffalo and a warm sector and LLJ that affects SE areas the most. Sometimes we grasp for damage and excitement while the vast majority of time it does not deliver in marginal set ups.

Probably 40-45 mph gusts across SE sections and possibly the higher terrain. I'm not seeing 50-60 based on the modeling right now. The fact is most of these type events don't really produce widespread damage with a 992 near Buffalo and a warm sector and LLJ that affects SE areas the most. Sometimes we grasp for damage and excitement while the vast majority of time it does not deliver in marginal set ups.

True

Euro usually fairly tame on these events.. So to see it so amped should turn a few light bulbs on

We really want some sort of easterly component to the winds to really mix down, otherwise it's just too easy to invert the temp profile.

In the absence of some other mitigating factor, it's hard to get too excited.

The summit of Mount Tolland is at 850 hpa though

True, we're not talking about boundary layer processes anymore.

I will say that near to post-frontal period may be a little interesting. NAM and GFS Bufkit soundings try and create a small mixed layer and it's still pretty gusty aloft as the LLJ veers around to SSW/WSW. Before that though winds are still only 40 knots around 800 feet. And we know how hard it is to mix winds down from that level with an inversion in place, and the fact that it's at night.

True, we're not talking about boundary layer processes anymore.

I will say that near to post-frontal period may be a little interesting. NAM and GFS Bufkit soundings try and create a small mixed layer and it's still pretty gusty aloft as the LLJ veers around to SSW/WSW. Before that though winds are still only 40 knots around 800 feet. And we know how hard it is to mix winds down from that level with an inversion in place, and the fact that it's at night.

Quite a bit of elevated CAPE too on the NAM around the fropa. 700+ j/kg on the NAM around here as lapse rates steepen. 

The grids are fairly windy in the mountains... this is the 3,000ft grid-point forecast for Stowe. 

This is fairly significant even for that elevation:

Wednesday Night
Rain. Low around 47. Strong and damaging winds, with a south wind 65 to 75 mph decreasing to 50 to 60 mph. Winds could gust as high as 90 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

The grids are fairly windy in the mountains... this is the 3,000ft grid-point forecast for Stowe. 

This is fairly significant even for that elevation:

Wednesday Night
Rain. Low around 47. Strong and damaging winds, with a south wind 65 to 75 mph decreasing to 50 to 60 mph. Winds could gust as high as 90 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

The mountains should rip. The NAM actually has an 80 kt LLJ that would tickle the top of Monadnock.

Guessing they want different model physics in there to give a more accurate "spread" 

Maybe I am not thinking it through, but I wonder if that would reduce some of the crazy solutions, but still have some range of possibilities. Anecdotally, the ARW has performed better IMO, than the NMM. 

Archived