• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
October, at the moment peering forward, a wild stormy affair?

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/aly/Past/2006/Oct_28-29_2006/Oct_28-29_2006.htm

With an area of high pressure offshore, a low pressure system rapidly intensified and moved northeast across Western NY State. An increasing southeast pressure gradient caused high winds Saturday morning and afternoon. High winds combined with heavy rain downed many trees, tree limbs, and wires across the region. An increasing northwest pressure gradient behind the front resulted in additional wind damage through early Sunday afternoon October 29th. Event Narrative A trained spotter reported wind gusts to 66 mph at Bradley Point on West Haven Beach in West Haven.

For a storm with a record LLJ, it didn't do too much in terms of widespread high winds. You can still bring trees down with 30-40mph. 

For a storm with a record LLJ, it didn't do too much in terms of widespread high winds. You can still bring trees down with 30-40mph. 

That was during the 2006 SNE wx conference...I first met many of the board members at the time during that conference. We were all waiting for huge winds to come in and it never really materialized. Definitely a bust. It was windy no doubt, but like typical 40-45 knot stuff and not the big high wind warning type winds that we were anticipating.

We stumbled upon Tip in the computer lab I recall looking at soundings. :lol:

That was during the 2006 SNE wx conference...I first met many of the board members at the time during that conference. We were all waiting for huge winds to come in and it never really materialized. Definitely a bust. It was windy no doubt, but like typical 40-45 knot stuff and not the big high wind warning type winds that we were anticipating.

We stumbled upon Tip in the computer lab I recall looking at soundings. :lol:

I was there too. Tip was basically nude watching stratus fly by next to Cindy Fitzgibbon.

October storms rarely have the LLJ and can be inverted heavily. The storm that happened at the end of october in 2006 was 100kts at 850 and blew down a twig. 

The only places that get damaging winds with any regularity in cutters is the SE downslope zones along the west slopes of the Berkshires and Greens...like where the poster "backedgeapproaching" lives.  We get a good cutter and I'm sure he'll have some branches down and stuff like that...but for most of us, if you don't have a big a$$ ridgeline to your east, SE winds won't mix down in a lot of these set-ups.

The only places that get damaging winds with any regularity in cutters is the SE downslope zones along the west slopes of the Berkshires and Greens...like where the poster "backedgeapproaching" lives.  We get a good cutter and I'm sure he'll have some branches down and stuff like that...but for most of us, if you don't have a big a$$ ridgeline to your east, SE winds won't mix down in a lot of these set-ups.

Coastal areas often get damage from strong cutters mostly in Nov and early December

All the best ones I remember were IN warm-sector,and the WCB is pressed against the high out over the ocean.  That's when you hear the jet engines from the inside of closed doors.  

That SE PG look when isobars are dense looks scary, but has a couple of fluid-mechanical negatives to overcome: 

1) it's barotropic lift air OVER a warm and/or occluded boundary.  101, that's an inversion, and it's almost never going to punch through that save for extreme scnearios.  

2) the normal BL inhibition over land is a lesser factor, but when compounding with # 1, is almost why those scenarios don't mean much below the summit of Mt Monadnock.  

I can't believe 2006 was 9 f'um years ago, man - 

good christ

I was there for that. Recall Tippy going nuts at the big gusts ripping outside with the fropa

Lol...I remember your flip phone.....one or both of yr. daughters was sick and you were trying to keep the home fires burning while wanting to rip yr shirt off and weenie to the incoming winter.

Lol...I remember your flip phone.....one or both of yr. daughters was sick and you were trying to keep the home fires burning while wanting to rip yr shirt off and weenie to the incoming winter.

I don't think I had a phone back then. Maybe it was your car phone you are thinking of? I do recall us in the computer lab checking out latest runs or something #geeks

I don't think I had a phone back then. Maybe it was your car phone you are thinking of? I do recall us in the computer lab checking out latest runs or something #geeks

You had a phone in 2006...everyone did by then. Yeah I remember tip gave us the euro pw and we were going wild. Walt Drag walked in and kind of made fun of us. I should go to this one but too busy these days.

I remember Middlebury would get quite windy in cutters with SE winds...East Middlebury really took the brunt of it right below the spine. Awful downslope spot there.

Nov 89

Thunderblizzard. 

S+ and 60 mph gusts, temps plummuting from 40 to low 20s, roads in AUG quickly became impassable shortly after I drove in at 6 AM.  Without thinking, I parked my old (1979) 2WD Subaru coupe facing north.  At noon, when the worksite was closing, I found that the wind had pretty much packed the engine compartment with snow and frozen the throttle link.  Since the battery was also old and weak, such that it barely cranked the cold car, I played the game between killing the battery and stuck-throttle blowing the engine for a few minutes before unsticking the linkage.

Lightning in that storm hit a radio broadcast antenna on Passadumkeag Mt, some 40  miles NE of BGR, and blew up all the electronics of a BGR station - they were off the air for a couple weeks then another month at 10% power.  That storm also brought in the record cold that lasted thru Dec 30, after which there was no real cold at all (though some nice snowstorms here.)

The late Oct 2006 gale had lots of wind though the leaf-off trees didn't suffer much.  Getting 3" rain mainly in 6 hr was the major impact.  A mile east of Farmington downtown, a small brook blew out a 7' by 50' culvert, floating the 5-ton-plus pipe about 50 yards downstream and leaving a stretch of State Rt 43 under a foot of gravel.

Cold stuff for Halloween on the GFS and Euro...still 8 days out, but that's a pretty good cold shot. Definitely no speedo Superman costume for Scooter this year.

Was just looking at that. Almost exactly like the cold shot last weekend..complete with snow in the air as kids head out. 

And then another identical torch warmup right behind it. Welcome to our strong Nino

Was just looking at that. Almost exactly like the cold shot last weekend..complete with snow in the air as kids head out. 

And then another identical torch warmup right behind it. Welcome to our strong Nino

November looks warm at the moment...at least the first 2-3 weeks. Almost the opposite of 1997.

Archived