• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
October, at the moment peering forward, a wild stormy affair?

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snow would be quite damaging this time of year, especially for SNE. I'm not even close to peak color down here in NNJ. Sitting at < 1% leaf drop so far.

No way you are at <1% leaf drop. Out here on the island about 25% even smack in the middle of Manhattan it's around 10-20% being as im in charge of leaf removal on a campus I notice these things. I guess you live in a pure stand of oaks.

A 970s cutter is a stretch. But climatology does support a powerful cutter as we head in to November. Add the juiced stj and it's possible

No way you are at <1% leaf drop. Out here on the island about 25% even smack in the middle of Manhattan it's around 10-20% being as im in charge of leaf removal on a campus I notice these things. I guess you live in a pure stand of oaks.

A 970s cutter is a stretch. But climatology does support a powerful cutter as we head in to November. Add the juiced stj and it's possible

Not to mention well above SST in the western Atlantic

I can picture Kevin salivating Thursdays constantly hitting refresh on the drought monitor page. Total  drought fetish.

The Daredevil of Drought. Watching over all of Ct using his special sonar flying through the streets to combat drought wherever it may popup

I don't quite understand, you would think if Mr. DIT loves damaging weather, he'd like drought, since drought can be just as damaging as big flooding. Must be the lack of excitement during drought?

Once in a blue moon you can get good winds in a fall southeaster, but it needs to be stronger LLJ than what is depicted. It's actually easier to get them in mid/late November or December since the LLJs at that point are usually a lot stronger with the PJ further south and stronger. We got one in Nov '95 and the Dec '00 cutter too was ferocious.

Once in a blue moon you can get good winds in a fall southeaster, but it needs to be stronger LLJ than what is depicted. It's actually easier to get them in mid/late November or December since the LLJs at that point are usually a lot stronger with the PJ further south and stronger. We got one in Nov '95 and the Dec '00 cutter too was ferocious.

the other thing is that Novie systems benefit from steeper lapses rates over water, such that LLJ or a portion of their momentum may be mixed down more readily, and once down...look out...at least for coastal communities. 

Name a damaging cutter in October.

Not sure if it was in Oct. 1979 or 1980 (probably '80), but a SE gale flattened about 80,000 cords of mainly spruce about 10-15 miles NW of Katahdin - from the air it looked like lodged oats after an August TS, just on a grand scale.  Wind probably got some acceleration whirling around the S. side of the mts?

The SE gale of 11/12/95 resulted in salvage of 2,000 cords on Holeb Twp, west of Jackman, and one of the 3 torch-deluges in Jan 1996 (probably the final one) gusted to 70 mph in central Maine and toppled a lot of trees.

We lost power in that Dec 2000 wind as well; it also produced one of the most earth-shaking CG bolts of my experience, at 2 AM. We picked up nearly 10,000 cords after that on a township (t13R12 WELS) we manage about 50 miles SW of Ft. Kent.

Not sure if it was in Oct. 1979 or 1980 (probably '80), but a SE gale flattened about 80,000 cords of mainly spruce about 10-15 miles NW of Katahdin - from the air it looked like lodged oats after an August TS, just on a grand scale.  Wind probably got some acceleration whirling around the S. side of the mts?

The SE gale of 11/12/95 resulted in salvage of 2,000 cords on Holeb Twp, west of Jackman, and one of the 3 torch-deluges in Jan 1996 (probably the final one) gusted to 70 mph in central Maine and toppled a lot of trees.

We lost power in that Dec 2000 wind as well; it also produced one of the most earth-shaking CG bolts of my experience, at 2 AM. We picked up nearly 10,000 cords after that on a township (t13R12 WELS) we manage about 50 miles SW of Ft. Kent.

Yes, had thunder in that too. That was a doozy. Up there with the one in Jan 2006 as well.

October storms rarely have the LLJ and can be inverted heavily. The storm that happened at the end of october in 2006 was 100kts at 850 and blew down a twig. 

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/aly/Past/2006/Oct_28-29_2006/Oct_28-29_2006.htm

With an area of high pressure offshore, a low pressure system rapidly intensified and moved northeast across Western NY State. An increasing southeast pressure gradient caused high winds Saturday morning and afternoon. High winds combined with heavy rain downed many trees, tree limbs, and wires across the region. An increasing northwest pressure gradient behind the front resulted in additional wind damage through early Sunday afternoon October 29th. Event Narrative A trained spotter reported wind gusts to 66 mph at Bradley Point on West Haven Beach in West Haven.

Archived