12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice....certainly a place where you keep the lot pretty much dirt...lol. No use for grass there. Seems like a great cabin spot to get away. Any lakes nearby?

I will probably attempt to have a lawn near the house, but a small one. I want the trees far enough away as to not cause any problems with the house, so that should make for some sun. The neighbors further down the street have small lawns.

The nearest lakes are at Woodford State Park to the north or at Clarksburg State Park, which is right over the border in MA. Both offer swimming.

I took another spin up by my plot up at 2.2K in S VT today and I still can't believe how much snow is left there, even after a week of warm temperatures and near constant melting. It really is winter's last holdout there.

Depth is highly variable dependent on the amount of sun exposure, ranging from near nothing on sunny southern exposures to almost 20" in the deep shade. Average is probably 10-14".

IMG_1027.JPG

IMG_1034.JPG

Screen Shot 2015-04-19 at 6.09.51 PM.png

IMG_1044.JPG

IMG_1047.JPG

Talk about deep,deep winter. Pretty impressive being so far south.

I think that might be too much deep,deep winter for me. I don't know if my sanity could handle being buried to May. Although I wouldnt mind the 140" every year..lol.

I went to the Quabin yesterday, gorgeous day to be out and enjoying the sun and warm temps...saw two piles of snow that were still hanging on...the water was clear and cold, it sure was gorgeous..then my friend and I went and ate dinner at the Whately Diner, a stones throw from the big Yankee Candle store...good day, i wish we could string a few together...

too bad all we have to look forward to is the Pinwheel of Doom...

Specifics?

Seems like the usual banter to me. Just trying to pass the time as April moves on.

Yup, you got it, I'm just adjusting to the spring/summer tedium of dew point debates as we all resign ourselves to a potentially mild to non-existent severe season and the fact that hurricanes are a rare occurrence in New England. 

Talk about deep,deep winter. Pretty impressive being so far south.

I think that might be too much deep,deep winter for me. I don't know if my sanity could handle being buried to May. Although I wouldnt mind the 140" every year..lol.

I love it. I don't mind the prospect of having snow on my lawn into early May some years...I consider it a badge of honor. You can see the snow covered area on today's MODIS image. The red dot represents the approximate location of my land. That plateau stands out well and has a climate similar to far NNE despite its low latitude.

post-48-0-65889100-1429500454_thumb.png

The summers are probably lovely there too with no need for AC. The maximum summer average high is probably around 75° F or so in late July, and days above 85° F are rare. To reach or exceed 85° F there, North Adams would need to be at least 92° or 93° F, which probably only happens a couple times a summer, if it all. 

I love it. I don't mind the prospect of having snow on my lawn into early May some years...I consider it a badge of honor. You can see the snow covered area on today's MODIS image. The red dot represents the approximate location of my land. That plateau stands out well and has a climate similar to far NNE despite its low latitude.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-04-19 at 11.23.04 PM.png

The summers are probably lovely there too with no need for AC. The maximum summer average high is probably around 75° F or so in late July, and days above 85° F are rare. To reach or exceed 85° F there, North Adams would need to be at least 92° or 93° F, which probably only happens a couple times a summer, if it all. 

If we are staying in W MA long term my hope is to move up to MPM's area (1k+) in the next few years as that is the best location where we can still get to work easily and have cool summers with potentially snowy winters.

You are moving to a crazy good location for capitalizing on SNE/CNE weather. 

Wild scene just now..the sun was rising and was clearly out and shining..the sky was a reddish pink and all the while it was absolutely pouring rain. Visibility was  high too..It literally started as heavy rain..not even sprinkles as I had just gotten in from running.. 38.5 now and pounding.

Might be some convection today/tonight. Kind of interesting elevated setup

Wild scene just now..the sun was rising and was clearly out and shining..the sky was a reddish pink and all the while it was absolutely pouring rain. Visibility was high too..It literally started as heavy rain..not even sprinkles as I had just gotten in from running.. 38.5 now and pounding.

Might be some convection today/tonight. Kind of interesting elevated setup

Was the reddish sky from the glow of all the brush fires IYBY?

Screen Shot 2015-04-19 at 11.23.04 PM.png

Looks like it's probably snowing nicely there right now. I'm sure most on this board would love to have that spot you have at 2200'

Summers are great I'm sure. I max out at 79/80 high and 57 low in July, which is perfect in my book. Your def a little cooler higher up, so sounds about right.

Archived