12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah Rednecks are usually experts at that stuff...it's the yuppies who can't handle outdoor stuff that often are the culprit. :lol:

I bantered in effacing humiliation, my own recent experiences with attempting to burn brush during typical pre-green-up spring Fire weather. 

No need to re-iterate all of that.  Sufficed it is to say ... you turn your back for just a moment to bend and break sticks into manageable fuels, and the next thing you now, you have tentacles of fire crawling with wind driven rapidity ... radially down wind from whatever insufficiently protected apparatus you are using to burn.

Which is precisely and embarrassingly (consider my background, I should have been much more precognizant) what I allowed to happen.  

Seeing as no permanent damage ... or, me having to actually call the fire department took place, I can laugh now in retrospect.  But only because it's been a few days.  That same evening I was still too pie eyed with disbelief at my self, and the untenable thought of what I narily prevented from happening.  I never saw fire spread so fast.  And, because I rather impulsively set out to burn without out taking even the minimal precautions ... I put my self in a situation where I was adrenaline-scrambling with an accelerated heart rate and wobbly knees to get the situation under control.

So some basic precautionary measures if burning is the best option for brush and left over, downed tree material ... spring cleaning.

One, have a working hose near by. In my case ... the outside spigot had not even been turned on for the season.  Said source is in the crawl-space cellar, which was closed under a couple hundred pounds of household storage ... which set over the top of the access hatch.  It was really an amazing feat that I got that exhumed in time, the outside water turned on, in time - almost miraculous really. 

Two, wet the ground around the base, under, and outwards away from the burning apparatus by 20 feet. This simple application, which would have taken all of 2 minutes really, would have prevented all of that hustle-up/emergency.

Three, do not over-feed the fire!  You do not want or need half burning embers to fall out and/or lift airborne by heat convection ...up and away from the vicinity where you are burning.  Smaller, manageable fuel stows will burn just as fast as putting a large amount in all at once, which is inherently risky.

Four, while burning ... re-wet the ground in the same areas -- the impetus being, ...the area should not be burnable at any time, and will tend to dry out quickly while you are burning. 

Five, ...and probably the most important precaution you can take, DON'T BURN! It really should be a last resort. Most brush piles can be, with a little physical effort, reduced and removed ... and most townships provide places at their local transfer stations for the transport and off-loading of lawn organics.  

As for me... I feld a tree last Autumn, and though the bigger logs have been cut up and taken away, I have several debris piles consisting of ...limbs 2" in diameter and less, that are rather large.  These are like 300 $ a pop to have an excavation crew come in with a wood shredder/chipper and remove.  Ugh !

How does early Gay look? Can we warm up the first week after Napril ends?

Not that my opinions is the be-all but I think that's a transitory time, as the cool pattern we are apparently destined to suffer before hand starts to fill/roll-out/decay ... lose impetus in general.  The NAO appears to be the only first best cause of why the local period is going backward from the 20th -the 30th or so.. And that appears to neutralized toward the end of the 10 days or even sooner.

The problem is, thereafter there doesn't appear to be a "replacement" sort of pattern trying to nudge in, which might accelerate any such change... So things might just be no-skill - 

The WPO-EPO arc (North Pacific) in total is flipping negative as the NAO goes back neutral positive out in time (interestingly..) but the deviation numbers may not be sufficiently large to assume they'll usurp the pattern over N/A this late in the year. When the NAO relaxes..the medium really loses gradient (as depicted in all ensemble means and operation tendencies) as we get into the first week of May, and that may at last be some kind of indication that we'll be entering the weaker teleconnector correlation akin to the warmer season.  

Just to rub it in out of malice ... ( :)  ) 

Here is the percentile calculated by the National Climate/Diagnostic Center for March... nicely demonstrating the targeted persecution toward those that actually embrace the warm weather in spring... 

201503.gif

I bantered in effacing humiliation, my own recent experiences with attempting to burn brush during typical pre-green-up spring Fire weather. 

No need to re-iterate all of that.  Sufficed it is to say ... you turn your back for just a moment to bend and break sticks into manageable fuels, and the next thing you now, you have tentacles of fire crawling with wind driven rapidity ... radially down wind from whatever insufficiently protected apparatus you are using to burn.

Which is precisely and embarrassingly (consider my background, I should have been much more precognizant) what I allowed to happen.  

Seeing as no permanent damage ... or, me having to actually call the fire department took place, I can laugh now in retrospect.  But only because it's been a few days.  That same evening I was still too pie eyed with disbelief at my self, and the untenable thought of what I narily prevented from happening.  I never saw fire spread so fast.  And, because I rather impulsively set out to burn without out taking even the minimal precautions ... I put my self in a situation where I was adrenaline-scrambling with an accelerated heart rate and wobbly knees to get the situation under control.

So some basic precautionary measures if burning is the best option for brush and left over, downed tree material ... spring cleaning.

One, have a working hose near by. In my case ... the outside spigot had not even been turned on for the season.  Said source is in the crawl-space cellar, which was closed under a couple hundred pounds of household storage ... which set over the top of the access hatch.  It was really an amazing feat that I got that exhumed in time, the outside water turned on, in time - almost miraculous really. 

Two, wet the ground around the base, under, and outwards away from the burning apparatus by 20 feet. This simple application, which would have taken all of 2 minutes really, would have prevented all of that hustle-up/emergency.

Three, do not over-feed the fire!  You do not want or need half burning embers to fall out and/or lift airborne by heat convection ...up and away from the vicinity where you are burning.  Smaller, manageable fuel stows will burn just as fast as putting a large amount in all at once, which is inherently risky.

Four, while burning ... re-wet the ground in the same areas -- the impetus being, ...the area should not be burnable at any time, and will tend to dry out quickly while you are burning. 

Five, ...and probably the most important precaution you can take, DON'T BURN! It really should be a last resort. Most brush piles can be, with a little physical effort, reduced and removed ... and most townships provide places at their local transfer stations for the transport and off-loading of lawn organics.  

As for me... I feld a tree last Autumn, and though the bigger logs have been cut up and taken away, I have several debris piles consisting of ...limbs 2" in diameter and less, that are rather large.  These are like 300 $ a pop to have an excavation crew come in with a wood shredder/chipper and remove.  Ugh !

We usually recommend having some sort of pit to burn, with charged hose and use common sense. Hearing lots of brush fires this weekend; I enjoy listen to the MA Fire tower guys, using old school tech to locate fires. Do we think the rain Monday/Tuesday are beneficial or just help dampen things?

We usually recommend having some sort of pit to burn, with charged hose and use common sense. Hearing lots of brush fires this weekend; I enjoy listen to the MA Fire tower guys, using old school tech to locate fires. Do we think the rain Monday/Tuesday are beneficial or just help dampen things?

we burn in a large pit surrounded by 20 feet of gravelly dirt which yuppies like Kev think should be grass. On another note raked the outside of the fence woods side, leaves under the surface leaves are soaking wet so no worry about deep brush fires. Lots of nightcrawlers, great fishing night incoming.

I took another spin up by my plot up at 2.2K in S VT today and I still can't believe how much snow is left there, even after a week of warm temperatures and near constant melting. It really is winter's last holdout there.

Depth is highly variable dependent on the amount of sun exposure, ranging from near nothing on sunny southern exposures to almost 20" in the deep shade. Average is probably 10-14". 

post-48-0-71930400-1429481031_thumb.jpg

post-48-0-90087300-1429481135_thumb.jpg

post-48-0-10706600-1429481529_thumb.png

post-48-0-15194000-1429481592_thumb.jpg

post-48-0-12440900-1429481722_thumb.jpg

grass is overated, give me a spot like that , a lake and pine needle beds with minimum lawn and it's heaven

I like grass, but I don't want to put much effort into it. I just let the random patches of clover grow and the wild flowers do their thing. I prefer the natural look, but that's just me. It keeps the wild animals perusing through the yard too. Pulled in tonight to see 4 deer in the backyard. I'll take that over a chemically loaded lawn.

Archived