amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
March 5th Snow Threat

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Classic responses on how these model runs swing to one solution to another.  The good thing is we want to see a lot of qpf with this event once that arctic air gets in place.  

Which is usually much slower to happen than what the models spit out.

People are always carrying on about threading the needle.  Well, IMO, this is the smallest eye we've threaded to date.

Here's a closer look at the sounding for BWI using Bufkit. This is at 6z when the full flip occurs. The sounding shows it ripping snow, but probably not the best for snow growth. A ton of qpf to work with though, so rates in that depiction would easily conquer any touchy mid level layer.

post-9895-0-56264400-1425317354_thumb.pn

Cobb output for BWI from the 12Z GFS shows 9.6" snow. Has .85 fall as snow, so even taking some off of that it's a good event. 

5.4" at DCA. Delay in the changeover. Goes from Rain to SNPL somewhere between 6z and 9z. 

8.7" at Westminster

9.4" at IAD

Even if 12z Euro looks solid (like 4-8 inches total with snow starting 1-4am), I can't feel good on this yet. I think a NAM/UKMET blend has worked just as well as a GFS/EURO blend this year. SREF's are garbage compared to NAM. I will likely be bearish (see redhead Ed on Twitter) right up until the start of snow or if a GFS/EURO solution wins out and we are ripping by 3:00am.

We want big QPF. We get screwed on events like this when the rates never materialize and we get light non-sticking wet snow for 12 hours with multiple drizzle lulls.

agree but we are in a way more favorable spot for temps then people in dc so that might account for different opinions in what is more crucial qpf or temps. True answer is both.

Archived