wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
March 5th Snow Threat

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice. Haven't seen that site. I agree it's snow by 6z. Soundings look colder than IWM for whatever reason.

It would be ripping snow as well. Raw surface is upper 20's nw and just at freezing along 95 @ 1am. By 7am temps are in the upper teens to around 20. Heavy wet to heavy dry snow. lol

Nice.  Haven't seen that site.  I agree it's snow by 6z.  Soundings look colder than IWM for whatever reason.  

For some reason a concern is that the cold is mostly coming over the mountains rather than dropping in more north to south like the good flip last year. Probably doesn't matter a huge ton but some of the heaviest is early so we don't want to push off the flip any longer than necessary. 

Obligatory: parsing the specifics of an incorrect result from a model at range is a futile exercise. Carry on.

I think at this point in the game, you have to look at and even parse specifics to get an idea of how the event is going to unfold. We're probably a little too deep in minutia right now, but I don't think anyone is suggesting anything is locked in.

Seems like UKMET, NAM, and GGEM are all later in general with precip, not just with the flip. 

Well, for the post-flip precip, yes. In all the models so far in this 12Z suite, there is good precip accompanying the flip. The GFS has the earliest flip so far, but also ends appreciable precip the earliest (only an inch or two after 12Z for the metro areas). 

Archived