joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 5th Snow Threat

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, and even then you run the problem of melting unless you have (and keep) heavy rates.  I dislike the drip...drip...drip that accompanies daytime late-season snows.  

One difference in this one and, say, early March of 2013, is that you have absolutely frigid ground.  The drip, drip will be harder to come by..........................if we even get snow.

Decent run, don't like that it is during the day though.

Yeah if the NAM were right, we'd be waiting for a changeover after daybreak and then trying to accumulate during the day, reminds me of snowquester, although this at least has colder air coming through than snowquester.  But, as others have said, this is the NAM past 60 hours so I'm not going to spend too much time worrying about it.

Euro ens are almost unanimous for a good hit. 6z gefs looks better than the 6z op. NAM is going to trend right in line with the ops imo.

Overall, models have been basically showing a 2-4/3-6 kind of deal for days with the typical wobbles. My wag is we end up right in the 2-6" range. With a chance at some upside. A shutout looks very unlikely.

I sure don't like having to wait on cold air in situations like this...fronts tend to be delayed longer than modeled has been my experience since moving here...

The rain to snow deal last year flipped right on time but we were inside of 48 hours before really getting serious about flip times. I think we're good either way with this one.

Euro ens are almost unanimous for a good hit. 6z gefs looks better than the 6z op. NAM is going to trend right in line with the ops imo.

Overall, models have been basically showing a 2-4/3-6 kind of deal for days with the typical wobbles. My wag is we end up right in the 2-6" range. With a chance at some upside. A shutout looks very unlikely.

can't argue with this....I mean I wish I could ( :tomato: ), but I can't           :)

Euro is that upside potential, I assume?

can't argue with this....I mean I wish I could ( :tomato: ), but I can't :)

Euro ensembles have both of us @ 6" snow on the means. 33 members with 6"+ solutions. But those maps are flawed. I see it more as .40-60 as frozen precip potential. Ratios and stickage probably won't = 10:1 but it's really hard to say what happens after the flip. The airmass pushing in is cold and there's a lot of gulf moisture streaming. Could be heavy snow with fatties for a while. Definitely won't be a sugar and flour storm.

People comparing this setup to snowquester are ridiculous. Surface temps will drop like a rock with good CAA. SQ had none of that.

Agreed. There is zero comparison. Matt's comparison to Jan 2011 is much better even though there isn't a bowling ball approaching. When the flip happens it will be heavy wet snow that will stick quickly. Snow will become drier and lighter as time goes on. And there won't be lulls. It will snow until the boundary sinks too far south.

I should clarify, I wish we could have an evening snow, not one during the early a.m. I'm fully aware of the benefits of nighttime during March winter weather events.

It needs to happen when it can accumulate on the roads (night/early morning) and cancel things. Snow isn't real unless it annihilates the morning commute.

The timing looks good but not great on this one. A TON of Euro ensemble members have the heaviest snow arriving in earnest mid to late morning into the afternoon. 

Euro ensembles have both of us @ 6" snow on the means. 33 members with 6"+ solutions. But those maps are flawed. I see it more as .40-60 as frozen precip potential. Ratios and stickage probably won't = 10:1 but it's really hard to say what happens after the flip. The airmass pushing in is cold and there's a lot of gulf moisture streaming. Could be heavy snow with fatties for a while. Definitely won't be a sugar and flour storm.

gun to head, the way it looks now and has been looking is an areawide 3-5", with a few co-op and "trained" observers reporting 6"+

we'll need the GFS and Euro to jump on something much bigger for that to change in my mind.....like that area west of the Apps that has been getting hit hard on most of the models to jump over onto our side, but I've seen nothing so far to suggest that might happen

Agreed. There is zero comparison. Matt's comparison to Jan 2011 is much better even though there isn't a bowling ball approaching. When the flip happens it will be heavy wet snow that will stick quickly. Snow will become drier and lighter as time goes on. And there won't be lulls. It will snow until the boundary sinks too far south.

Too much to ask for the front to plow through quickly only to get hung up just to our south?  days and days of waves of LP riding along a stationary would be fantastic

Archived