• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 5th Snow Threat

WxUSAF

Agreed. There is zero comparison. Matt's comparison to Jan 2011 is much better even though there isn't a bowling ball approaching. When the flip happens it will be heavy wet snow that will stick quickly. Snow will become drier and lighter as time goes on. And there won't be lulls. It will snow until the boundary sinks too far south.

I'm sure the storm comparison is already out there, but was it February '07?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correct. If it happens during the day we need like -15 to -20 departures. Much better odds if it happens at night.

Much like the St. Patty's Day snow last year. I received 8.5", all of which came overnight. Had that occurred during the day, you could probably shave at least 1-2" from that total.

It needs to happen when it can accumulate on the roads (night/early morning) and cancel things. Snow isn't real unless it annihilates the morning commute.

The timing looks good but not great on this one. A TON of Euro ensemble members have the heaviest snow arriving in earnest mid to late morning into the afternoon.

Meteogram shows the vast majority of members flipping by 7am or before. 45 members or so show 2"+ on the ground by 7am.

Much like the St. Patty's Day snow last year. I received 8.5", all of which came overnight. Had that occurred during the day, you could probably shave at least 1-2" from that total.

In the urban heat hell of downtown DC, you could probably shave off 8 from that if it happened during the day.

I am just worried this thing is either going to shift north or south with the precip and someone is going to get hosed. How likely is that?

As likely as your buddy Bill being in the Falklands/Fulklands/Fuklans

Tracker, NAM and what Bobc referenced.

Really, it looks fine, absolutely fun to track and hope for. I tend to always look for what can go wrong, and a slower than modeled flip into the daylight hours of early March would take a lot of fun out of it, for sure.

I still have bad memories of the March 2013 disaster. But, yes, that went wrong for a lot of other reasons in a whole different set-up.

And March 17, 2014 wasn't a lot of fun up this way like it was further south.

Regardless, the idea we might re-visit Jan. 26, 2011 is a nice thought.

Really, it looks fine, absolutely fun to track and hope for. I tend to always look for what can go wrong, and a slower than modeled flip into the daylight hours of early March would take a lot of fun out of it, for sure.

I still have bad memories of the March 2013 disaster. But, yes, that went wrong for a lot of other reasons in a whole different set-up.

What did you get on 3/17/14? I believe I got 7.5-8"

There is certainly a risk of cold being delayed. But even if it is it shouldn't mean shutout. I want to maximize just like everyone else but would be totally happy with a 2-4/3-6 kind of deal.

This has all the makings of a very challenging forecast! Arctic air running into somewhat mild air, Pineapple Express of subtropical moisture, arctic intrusion, timing issues, narrow swath of heavy qpf etc. blockbuster bust potential for some and heavy accumulation for others.

6" for you

Thanks Katie - I just went and read the back-end of that thread to figure out my seemingly not as good memories, and it appears it was because of how long it took to accumulate up our way. My last post on that thread:

fwiw, rates were low enough that it was pretty much snow TV up my way and points north of me until around midnight. And for my part of the forum, 2-4/3-6 was generally how it worked out (altho on the higher end). I think the thoughts on amounts based on that timeframe were dead on. What was great for people from BWI on south was all the snow that stuck well before then due to better rates... (and what was, at the same time, really frustrating for the Balt city on north crew...props to the models for pretty much nailing that - altho it didn't make it any less frustrating...)

Thanks Katie - I just went and read the back-end of that thread to figure out my seemingly not as good memories, and it appears it was because of how long it took to accumulate up our way. My last post on that thread:

Yeah, i didn't do well that storm, less than 4"

addressing a lot of the concerns, "yes" a lot of things can go wrong, but the model consensus is for a decent hit areawide, as in north-south-east-west of the I95 corridor, more so than anything we've seen so far this year

so relax as nobody can answer questions at this point as to which problems are the most likely

This has all the makings of a very challenging forecast! Arctic air running into somewhat mild air, Pineapple Express of subtropical moisture, arctic intrusion, timing issues, narrow swath of heavy qpf etc. blockbuster bust potential for some and heavy accumulation for others.

I am pretty sure that Ian, who is a pro forecaster, is fairly confident that he will measure 20" for a storm in DC this winter so I guess this is the storm.

:^P

Archived