wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
March 5th Snow Threat

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sidebar discussion of the St. Patrick's Day event was strange in light of the modeling. While neither March event last season looks like a great comparison to this one, only one of them was changeover from substantial rain, a daylight event, and the first week of the month......It's like we automatically assume all March storms have to be hard to accumulate. 

The sidebar discussion of the St. Patrick's Day event was strange in light of the modeling. While neither March event last season looks like a great comparison to this one, only one of them was changeover from substantial rain, a daylight event, and the first week of the month......It's like we automatically assume all March storms have to borderline. 

yes...1st week of March is pretty much still February given all the super cold events we have had.....once you hit 3/10, it deteriorates rapidly.  

The 3z sounding is pretty gnarly above 850.  750-800 is the last to go.  6z is a snow sounding, but I'm not sure we'd flip much before then.

yeah just looked. hard to say with those rates around.. could flip quick even with a bit or work to go on 3z. 

Potentially useless question here, but I'll ask and put it out there anyhow for consideration.  How much of the snow pack do we figure on being "lost" with temps getting to 50 on Wednesday, along with a period of good rains?  Or does that even matter for much at all?  I don't know how much that will affect non-grass surfaces.  Just curious.  People have mentioned last March 2-3, and I can see some of the similarities in terms of rain to snow and much colder air moving in.  Difference is that in this case, there's more snow cover on the ground beforehand, it's been a lot colder leading up to it, and it doesn't look like the same kind of sharp QPF cut-off that we had in the event last year.

Was going by what Ian posted.  Still .7 is fine by me.

Was just an estimate lol.. only have looked total accum from SV so far. Right around 1" at 3z and north of 2" at end. Yipes. 

The 3z sounding is pretty gnarly above 850.  750-800 is the last to go.  6z is a snow sounding, but I'm not sure we'd flip much before then.

6h window where 750-800 flirt with being around 0c.  But we are parsing a 12z run two days away.  it was a good run IMO

6h window where 750-800 flirt with being around 0c.  But we are parsing a 12z run two days away.  it was a good run IMO

Lay down a layer of sleet, then a lot of snow on top of that? ;)

Yes, getting into the weeds...it was a good run as you said.  Couldn't really ask for more; something like a combination of that and last night's Euro would be nice.

according to the text output, the warmest level at 6Z Thursday is between 750-above 850mb

the numbers I see say that it is 0C, but they do round up or down so it could go as high as +.4C

also, I only have readings every 50mb so I don't know what goes on between 750 and 800mb, with soundings should be out shortly

but my purpose for posting was that it was NOT that much above 0C, which is good news

A layer of sleet before the snow is hardly a bad thing either way. Hopefully the ukie loses the delay with the midlevels and euro looks exactly like last night.

I honestly don't really care how it unfolds assuming the general idea is correct that we flip to accumulating snow at some point.

according to the text output, the warmest level at 6Z Thursday is between 750-above 850mb

the numbers I see say that it is 0C, but they do round up or down so it could go as high as +.4C

also, I only have readings every 50mb so I don't know what goes on between 750 and 800mb, with soundings should be out shortly

but my purpose for posting was that it was NOT that much above 0C, which is good news

6z looks like snow even SE of DCA to me... it's close maybe but that's snow in those rates. 

I've seen the soundings and it is close at both 6z and 9z, but snow....

6z looks like snow even SE of DCA to me... it's close maybe but that's snow in those rates. 

I've seen the soundings and it is close at both 6z and 9z, but snow....

Good.  IWMs map plots of temperature look more threatening.  

Archived