Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
March 5th Snow Threat

WxUSAF

I have NO memory of that Storm.

I don't remember it well either. I think I thought it was going to bust till I woke up and it was ripping. Went out to take pics that day it was frigid after.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well ****, now that we have the blessing of this poster from NY -- LETS DO THIS

Umm with the trajectory of this storm up here we are in about the same boat as nyc. If it stays south of them the big snows probably stay south of us too. What he says is good for dca but would be bad for us. We are fine now, no south trend is good. Even the uk would smoke us up here.

Temps were 25, 26, or 27 at DCA during almost all of 3/9/99 (snow started at 8 am), so somewhat warmer than last March's event.

Temps as is are fine I think esp after the first bit.

Umm with the trajectory of this storm up here we are in about the same boat as nyc. If it stays south of them the big snows probably stay south of us too. What he says is good for dca but would be bad for us. We are fine now, no south trend is good. Even the uk would smoke us up here.

clearly trolling posts go over your head.  

Looking forward to watches going up tomorrow with the afternoon afd. I suppose technically they could go up in the morning.

From your mouth to the snow god's ears! :whistle:  :D

Seriously though, I was skeptical (though hopeful) about this event when it was showing up the past few days in the globals.  Now it's getting into the shorter range and there's reasonable consensus in many ways.  Still a tricky situation, but even the models that flip to snow a bit later give us a solid amount.  If this continues, we'll definitely be looking at a warning-level criteria snow through the area.

I have NO memory of that Storm.

Cold storm up here.  5-7" through the typical Leesburg to BWI corridor but with temps in the single digits.  Surprisingly, the ratios were not good, basically 10:1.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/43078-march-2-3-obs-thread/page-58

Equally interesting was the St. Paddy's storm two weeks later.  I received 10.3" and, when the clouds cleared in the afternoon the sun was roasting.  It was only 24F but the snow was steaming, just like after a summertime thunderstorm.  Low that night was 12F, very cold for late March.

Temps were 25, 26, or 27 at DCA during almost all of 3/9/99 (snow started at 8 am), so somewhat warmer than last March's event. 

Last March, for the March 2-3 event, there wasn't much on the ground early in the morning but we got banded for a few hours after that.  Ended up with around 5" where I'm at.  It was in the low-mid 20s even in the afternoon.  The tricky thing with that event last year was the tight QPF gradient, as I recall.

Then there was also March 1-2, 2009...change to snow pre-dawn, not much at first, but some good bands went through in the morning.  I recall that it stayed in the 20s all day for that one as well.

Remember your sweet 'copter pic from that day. Was a good storm and very cold. Cleared out in time for a nice sunset. 

I don't remember it well either. I think I thought it was going to bust till I woke up and it was ripping. Went out to take pics that day it was frigid after.

Thanks...will consider that. Is it compatible with the phone?

It works on a phone like any other web page would but it doesn't have a web version per se. SV is a bit better there.. or their site is more shape-able to a phone at least. Wxbell is perhaps a bit steep but the offerings there are unparalleled at this point. I was always adamant that people don't need to pay for weather models but I'm not sure I could go without weatherbell these days. 

It works on a phone like any other web page would but it doesn't have a web version per se. SV is a bit better there.. or their site is more shape-able to a phone at least. Wxbell is perhaps a bit steep but the offerings there are unparalleled at this point. I was always adamant that people don't need to pay for weather models but I'm not sure I could go without weatherbell these days.

I was going to cancel it last spring but kept it through the summer because I'm an addict. They keep adding so many cool things. Their euro op panels and ens data is ridiculous. Now that they have high res regional ukie stuff it's even better.

Remember your sweet 'copter pic from that day. Was a good storm and very cold. Cleared out in time for a nice sunset. 

yeah that was lucky (for me at least).. remember being shocked we had fluffy powder under clearing skies in March. last few winters are throwing my thoughts on march for a loop heh. :P

I just want Euro data.  I'm ok on the other models with what's available for free.  I'm in the category that doesn't need to pay for weather models.  I probably have access to too much as it is.

I just want Euro data.  I'm ok on the other models with what's available for free.  I'm in the category that doesn't need to pay for weather models.  I probably have access to too much as it is.

I think EuroWX is the way to go, that's just me though.

Weatherbell just added a 15 to 1 snowfall ratio variable to the ECMWF maps. Produces 10"+ of snowmap snow for the region

thursday. heh. 

I suggested he add a way to choose your own snow ratio. Imagine the maps. :D

But yes to Bob.. it's worth having all year at this point and Ryan adds new stuff constantly. 

I was going to cancel it last spring but kept it through the summer because I'm an addict. They keep adding so many cool things. Their euro op panels and ens data is ridiculous. Now that they have high res regional ukie stuff it's even better.

not to get too bantery, but Weatherbell is soon going to add on this thing where you can blend two or more models. Not sure how that will work on a practical level (in terms of the output), but it will be interesting to try. 

Archived