Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
March 5th Snow Threat

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, it did sniff out the north trend with the screwjob storm a few weeks ago.

Oh yeah?  I didn't know this was a "trend".  One run, huh?   Because this morning it was a decent hit and was south.  Now it's a 100 miles or so north and it's a trend.   Cool.  

Good thing I know the NAM is a horrible model.  

Oh yeah?  I didn't know this was a "trend".  One run, huh?   Because this morning it was a decent hit and was south.  Now it's a 100 miles or so north and it's a trend.   Cool.  

Good thing I know the NAM is a horrible model.  

There's been a northerly trend all season basically with most storms, I'm just saying. When the NAM did this with the screwjob storm a few days out, most people dismissed it, but it held and other models followed.

No need to get agressive...

There's been a northerly trend all season basically with most storms, I'm just saying. When the NAM did this with the screwjob storm a few days out, most people dismissed it, but it held and other models followed.

its not really a "trend" though, which is what Randy was getting at. Sure, if the GFS follows, and then the entire 00z suite, you can come back tomorrow and call it a trend. Until then, its the NAM being the NAM. 

Not 100 mile jumps, it's hardly a trend, just one data point.

You said the NAM is sniffing out a northern trend (because it was right with a storm a month ago).  I just disputed that by saying one run of a model isn't a trend.  What if it goes back to the 12z look tonight..then what trend is that?

No need to be hypersensitive.   

its not really a "trend" though, which is what Randy was getting at. Sure, if the GFS follows, and then the entire 00z suite, you can come back tomorrow and call it a trend. Until then, its the NAM being the NAM. 

No need to get aggressive, geez.  This post is the equivalent of a bloody beatdown! 

When one model stands alone, it's almost always wrong.  Having said that, I said yesterday that cold air doesn't trend south, and it doesn't.  If it was going to trend, it could only trend north, IMO.

We still have a ton of models on our side.

The NAM has been on a heater lately. But our winter heater might be more powerful. Nothing is locked in from a few days out though despite model agreement.. one of the great falsehoods of this place.

Agreed.  There were a few storms earlier this season - the screwjob storm is one example - where the NAM was the first to pick up on a shift, and did so at this same 2-3 days range (typically, Friday before a Monday).  Very different set ups, however. Until we see where other guidance comes in between now and 12z it's clearly not wise to put eggs in the NAM basket - but nor is it possible to say 'chuck it out' with absolute conviction.

The NAM has been on a heater lately. But our winter heater might be more powerful. Nothing is locked in from a few days out though despite model agreement.. one of the great falsehoods of this place.

we just cant know yet

To be fair, it did sniff out the north trend with the screwjob storm a few weeks ago.

To be fair, a lot of global ensemble members showed a cluster of more north/west tracks for that event, so it wasn't entirely a huge surprise.  I recall Bob Chill after the 18Z GEFS the Thursday before that storm saying "don't look at the 18Z ensembles!", which were then showing several too far north tracks.  It raised a lot of eyebrows.  The NAM then went north at 00Z that evening as did every other model...but even at 18Z and 12Z, I recall, things were iffy and borderline for us even as they looked good at the time.

In this case, I don't know if we have the same clustering of ensemble members like that.  This is quite a huge shift by the NAM, whereas the other storm at the beginning of February was not quite so much (or at least compared to the envelope and cluster of possible solutions?).  So, different scenario.  I'm not saying the NAM is wrong, as it hasn't occurred yet.  It raises some flag of concern, but as others have said, let's see what the globals show.  I sure hope it's completely out to lunch.

Archived