northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
March 5th Snow Threat

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it seemed kind of odd to me reading posts on here lately.  yes, we have a thursday snowfall modeled...but it's monday afternoon...and it's march.  if it was a snowstorm from start to finish then i'd be more invested in tracking it, but as-is, i need to wait until tuesday afternoon to get excited over setups like this.

Most of the best forecasters here are also snow fiends.. so... ;)

People who know better know how to parse the data.   If you get suckered in with NAM and SREF run "goodies" then whose fault is that?  Certainly not Mitch or Yoda who is telling you what it shows.  If you haven't learned how to parse models and know their faults and biases, then how is that anybody's fault but your own?

clearly, it's obama's fault.  everybody knows that.

the panickers are just expressing dissapointment over one potential outcome, even if they can't parse data like master parsers yoda and mitch.

if the hypothesis is that the nam and sref suck outside 24 hours or whatever, then 75-84h should not even be looked at.  but it's like a traffic accident.  it's hard not to look.

The NAM h5 pattern is in another world.

Any model on its own should be viewed skeptically.. The NAM has done pretty well lately at least in some cases though. Since it's a totally different look than other models it's probably not worth getting too worked up.. tho you would usually want it on your side with a temp profile even at this range. Gotta just assume something went haywire for now.

The NAM was the first solution to nail the ice storm over the weekend.

That's great and all but with the 2/21 storm it showed me getting nothing 12 hours before the storm, and i got 9". It has a 2% of  being right, but it is not a good model at all.

The NAM was the first solution to nail the ice storm over the weekend.

That was probably a spot it should excel. Maybe? It does tend to lead the way on colder solutions at the sfc at least. Think it did so last weekend to some degree too around here. But is it going to model the rest better than a GFS/euro combo in this case?

Ugly run for us, big run for NYC. I'll be worried if the globals are on board with the NAM at 0z.

if by big you mean 1-3" of mostly sleet sure. The trajectory of this storm puts nyc not much better off then us if it trends north. Nam is good for state college pa to poconos to southern New England.

The upcoming pattern is one that we simply do not see very often. It is possible for swings in the models. It is an event where everything must be perfect so bust potential is high. The NAM might very well be on to something or it might not. It's all about the timing of that front and precip rates. Either of those stray from ideal and its a near non event.

it seemed kind of odd to me reading posts on here lately.  yes, we have a thursday snowfall modeled...but it's monday afternoon...and it's march.  if it was a snowstorm from start to finish then i'd be more invested in tracking it, but as-is, i need to wait until tuesday afternoon to get excited over setups like this.

I hear ya, but the globals have been showing a general scenario like this for days.  We live in DC. We are bust central.  We bust all the time, and even when we don't, events tend to unfold somewhat differently than expected.  That is part of what makes it fun. I think most are aware of that, and it isn't necessary to add the caveat that we could bust.  The threat is now at 60 hours.  There is no reason we shouldn't be following it closely, or getting "excited". It might not work out. If not, no big deal.  I haven't gotten the sense that too many people are emotionally invested in this.  But I could be wrong.

Might be a hair slower on the flip but rippage after 6z. Looks like 12z mostly.

someone posted a few months ago that the 18z gfs is given a fresh data ingestion. Thats the line i use anyway when it has a good run. Euro/GFS in a similar camp is a good camp to be at right before the storm.

Archived