Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
March 5th Snow Threat

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its the same 4-5 posters...classic panic

but you also have in the know vets like yoder and mitchell selling a bag of goodies based on out of range previous NAM and SREF runs.  why not say, there they go again, the same ones causing unfounded hope on simulations that are sure to change.

it's not just the usual suspects panicking, it's the same group of long-timers that jump on anything resembling good snow odds setting it up for the other ones to panic when things evolve, which they always do.

very few events here have locked and stayed locked 3 or 4 days out, like dec 09 (even then there was a run or two that pulled the rug)

gotta look at both tails of the distribution

The NAM has been on a heater lately. But our winter heater might be more powerful. Nothing is locked in from a few days out though despite model agreement.. one of the great falsehoods of this place.

it seemed kind of odd to me reading posts on here lately.  yes, we have a thursday snowfall modeled...but it's monday afternoon...and it's march.  if it was a snowstorm from start to finish then i'd be more invested in tracking it, but as-is, i need to wait until tuesday afternoon to get excited over setups like this.

but you also have in the know vets like yoder and mitchell selling a bag of goodies based on out of range previous NAM and SREF runs.  why not say, there they go again, the same ones causing unfounded hope on simulations that are sure to change.

it's not just the usual suspects panicking, it's the same group of long-timers that jump on anything resembling good snow odds setting it up for the other ones to panic when things evolve, which they always do.

very few events here have locked and stayed locked 3 or 4 days out, like dec 09 (even then there was a run or two that pulled the rug)

gotta look at both tails of the distribution

People who know better know how to parse the data.   If you get suckered in with NAM and SREF run "goodies" then whose fault is that?  Certainly not Mitch or Yoda who is telling you what it shows.  If you haven't learned how to parse models and know their faults and biases, then how is that anybody's fault but your own?

Instead of using anecdotal recollections, how about we score the 12Z GFS vs 18Z NAM right now and we'll see which one is better...NAM obviously has an advantage as it is the 18z run so closer in time.

For DCA at 9z on Thursday - Let's see which one is closer.

850 Temps

GFS: -2.1

NAM: +10.1

Amount of QPF that falls after flip

GFS: 0.58"

NAM - There is no snow

Ugh can we just toss it? It's the North American Model and it has the worst verification of any model.

North American Mesoscale Model - it's specifically designed for mesoscale features. I would trust the globals more - at least until they show the same thing ;)

Instead of using anecdotal recollections, how about we score the 12Z GFS vs 18Z NAM right now and we'll see which one is better...NAM obviously has an advantage as it is the 18z run so closer in time.

For DCA at 9z - Let's see which one is closer.

850 Temps

GFS: -2.1

NAM: +10.1

Amount of QPF that falls after flip

GFS: 0.58"

NAM - There is no snow

The NAM h5 pattern is in another world.

The NAM h5 pattern is in another world.

Look, for all we know the NAM could be on to something.   I don't think anybody here is saying it absolutely can't be right.  But to call it a trend or to go all in angst about it before we see if any other models can confirm is a little silly given what we know of the model.

Look, for all we know the NAM could be on to something.   I don't think anybody here is saying it absolutely can't be right.  But to call it a trend or to go all in angst about it before we see if any other models can confirm is a little silly given what we know of the model.

It's  a wretched model at this range and it isn't very good 12 hours from the event either. 

Archived