wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
March 5th Snow Threat

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So it certainly seems to me that it is surprisingly colder longer than expected and this ice event is way more impressive than we thought. My street is a sheet of black ice. Way more slippery than Saturday. I wonder if that will have any bearing on the next storm. Maybe an earlier flip to snow?

I think the current forecast there is indicating some uncertainty in the timing of the cold air and the transitions from rain/sleet to snow. No doubt at least the MD lower eastern shore portion of their forecast area will see watches by morning. Other than maybe the NAM, all models show 4 inch+ potential there.

I would also think their Louisa, Fluvanna, Caroline, Goochland, Hanover, Westmoreland county corridor would have Watches before not too long as well

So it certainly seems to me that it is surprisingly colder longer than expected and this ice event is way more impressive than we thought. My street is a sheet of black ice. Way more slippery than Saturday. I wonder if that will have any bearing on the next storm. Maybe an earlier flip to snow?

Possibly, it's actually been warmer here. I could see someone getting crushed when the cold front stalls, it really depends where it stalls, you will find 12" + in those locations.

Textbook atmospheric river on the water vapor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_river

An atmospheric river is a narrow corridor or filament of concentrated moisture in the atmosphere. Atmospheric rivers consist of narrow bands of enhanced water vapor transport, typically along the boundaries between large areas of divergent surface air flow, including some frontal zones in association with extratropical cyclones that form over the oceans.[1][2][3][4]

The term was originally coined by researchers Reginald Newell and Young Zhu of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in the early 1990s, to reflect the narrowness of the moisture plumes involved.[1][3][5] Atmospheric rivers are typically several thousand kilometers long and only a few hundred kilometers wide, and a single one can carry a greater flux of water than the Earth's largest river, the Amazon River.[2] There are typically 3–5 of these narrow plumes present within a hemisphere at any given time.

Atmospheric rivers have a central role in the global water cycle. On any given day, atmospheric rivers account for over 90% of the global meridional (north-south) water vapor transport, yet they cover less than 10% of the Earth's circumference.[2]

They also are the major cause of extreme precipitation events which cause severe flooding in many mid-latitude, westerly coastal regions of the world, including the West Coast of North America,[6][7][8][9] western Europe,[10][11][12] and the west coast of North Africa.[3]

wxbell maps update every hour but i think most changes are less frequent.. perhaps some offices are changing at any given time? it's from the national digital forecast database so there's probably some documentation somewhere.  wider view shows bigger disagreements in other places. ;)

KMiSnq3.png

Thank you Ian for posting the wider view to include RIC. Just now reading the thread and was about PM Yoda

asking if you guys could post a wider view of the NCEP to include RIC. :)

wxbell maps update every hour but i think most changes are less frequent.. perhaps some offices are changing at any given time? it's from the national digital forecast database so there's probably some documentation somewhere.  wider view shows bigger disagreements in other places. ;)

KMiSnq3.png

looking at this map it is apparent that NWS Blacksburg has not 'bought' into the storm yet.......

I always love looking at the WV loops. Look at that push of arctic air just hitting the Great Lakes in that loop as well. It seems to be pushing very well so far. I like this one as well:

sat_wv_east_loop-12.gif

QPF will only go up

Seems the evolution has morphed a bit. Originally it was being modeled as a cohesive band that was going to be heavy rain to snow. The shift with holding back the final piece of energy just a few hours and ejecting it has changed the landscape (for the better imo).

Matt said it nicely earlier. Cold gets here first before the main slug and then gets attacked. This was a very favorable shift for area in the central and eastern areas.

I am guessing we are going to see some people freaking out tomorrow on the high temps. Morgantown, WV is 54 degrees right now. It is going to warm up tomorrow for sure. I wonder how high it goes before the plunge begins.

I can see it happening and hear the chatter. I'm getting my car detailed.

I am guessing we are going to see some people freaking out tomorrow on the high temps. Morgantown, WV is 54 degrees right now. It is going to warm up tomorrow for sure. I wonder how high it goes before the plunge begins.

There will be a ton of "my forecast high was 52 and I'm up to 56 - storm cancel" posts tomorrow.  

Archived