• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
March 5th Snow Threat

WxUSAF

Hmmmm... I just re-read the CWG winter storm forecast from 3/1 of last year. It's pretty eerie when you compare it to CWG's post about the storm today-- especially discussion about the 09Z SREF's, lol:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/03/01/storm-update-heavy-snow-and-crashing-temperatures-likely-monday-starts-as-rain-to-wintry-mix-late-sunday/

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not anymore, we will need to rebuild averages every 5 years now.

More than just averages and you'll notice things generally stay within historical bounds. Snow behind cold fronts happens more in March than Jan because there is generally more moisture avail etc.

I don't think the models are high enough for qpf Thursday AM. Experience and knowledge over years of forecasting...if you open the pacific and the gulf and run that kind of tropical tap into arctic air some crazy things can happen. I'm real excited for an event like this. Could be intense rates in local banding, some thunder in the frontogenetical forcing, high sleet rates etc.

That sounds like someone reaching for the clapper on the Major Storm alarm bell.  If your experience verifies this prediction.... wowzer.  

Why is that?

More than just averages and you'll notice things generally stay within historical bounds. Snow behind cold fronts happens more in March than Jan because there is generally more moisture avail etc.

Aside from having feast or famine and periods of cold and warm years back-to-back. One must account for shifts in the PDO and climate. Our historical bounds is pretty large even in the 20th century so you may be onto to something.

I don't think the models are high enough for qpf Thursday AM. Experience and knowledge over years of forecasting...if you open the pacific and the gulf and run that kind of tropical tap into arctic air some crazy things can happen. I'm real excited for an event like this. Could be intense rates in local banding, some thunder in the frontogenetical forcing, high sleet rates etc.

Someone is going to get massacred by EPIC snow rates. It wont just be an assault, it'll be an occupation

Archived