joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Spring Banter Thread

HailMan06

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would give up snow for the next five years for one 10" rainstorm in my backyard. While I like sunny, warm days, I don't need 40 straight days of it.

I've seen that (10" rainstorm) in August 2011, overrated in my opinion. I've never been a big flooding fan-snow is much more picturesque, you can walk out in it, and more often than not doesn't cause destruction the way flooding does. The August 2011 rain event in Long Beach caused tons of problems, and it was a week before Irene hit with 6 inches more rain and a storm surge on the east side of the eye where we were. August 2011 was nothing like Sandy on the south shore, but flooding is just too much of a headache in general, since I've been through the worst of it. And here I am now in Texas rooting on tornadoes. Hopefully the one or more I get to see some day plow through corn fields and not homes. Luckily this season so far has been pretty non-destructive (the EF4 in northern Illinois the worst one this season), but there's a long way to go. 

I've seen that (10" rainstorm) in August 2011, overrated in my opinion. I've never been a big flooding fan-snow is much more picturesque, you can walk out in it, and more often than not doesn't cause destruction the way flooding does. The August 2011 rain event in Long Beach caused tons of problems, and it was a week before Irene hit with 6 inches more rain and a storm surge on the east side of the eye where we were. August 2011 was nothing like Sandy on the south shore, but flooding is just too much of a headache in general, since I've been through the worst of it. And here I am now in Texas rooting on tornadoes. Hopefully the one or more I get to see some day plow through corn fields and not homes. Luckily this season so far has been pretty non-destructive (the EF4 in northern Illinois the worst one this season), but there's a long way to go.

The long beach rain storm was nuts. Water was shooting out of the storm sewers on lido blvd right at the eastern border of lb right by lido west. I actually know somone that lost their garage with the rain storm then Irene and then the whole house with sandy talk about awful

Cool to see Phoenix and San Diego wetter than NYC through early May with an

active Nino STJ.

NYC..............T

Phoenix.........0.24

San Diego......0.51

We're expected to get deluged over the next 5 days. Wave after wave of T-storms and rain. The STJ this spring means business. 

The SW flow straight from Baja is also making it humid as a mo-fo. 

You guys just need some secondary hobbies. I spent the day gardening. My new place needs a lot of work. Was a great day for it too. Prefect temp and the sun never did come out here on the south shore so I didn't feel like I was missing a beach day or something.

Curious if big Jim or anyone else down the jersey shore had fog/low clouds all day?

You guys just need some secondary hobbies. I spent the day gardening. My new place needs a lot of work. Was a great day for it too. Prefect temp and the sun never did come out here on the south shore so I didn't feel like I was missing a beach day or something.

Curious if big Jim or anyone else down the jersey shore had fog/low clouds all day?

Fog down to LBI then full sun once to the 50's on the GSP. Temp spiked from 62 to 74 in five miles.

We're expected to get deluged over the next 5 days. Wave after wave of T-storms and rain. The STJ this spring means business. 

The SW flow straight from Baja is also making it humid as a mo-fo. 

You picked a more interesting time to move there with the El Nino developing. Should make a dent in the La

Nina drought conditions that have been persisting there for several years.

You picked a more interesting time to move there with the El Nino developing. Should make a dent in the La

Nina drought conditions that have been persisting there for several years.

NOAA is now thinking a strong El Niño is going to develop, most of our climate models are showing a solid strong Nino and the Austrialian weather service and its ENSO prediction model (which is apparently extremely accurate) are also calling for a strong Nino

NOAA is now thinking a strong El Niño is going to develop, most of our climate models are showing a solid strong Nino and the Austrialian weather service and its ENSO prediction model (which is apparently extremely accurate) are also calling for a strong Nino

Not really. The current statistical model guidance mean is a weak Nino, and the dynamical model mean is a moderate El Nino.

http://iri.columbia.edu/our-expertise/climate/forecasts/enso/current/

A strong Nino is possible, but I think odds favor a moderate Nino right now.

I've heard that the past few nino's only to see them verify weak at best.  Remember this time last year?  Same deal

Archived