joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Spring Banter Thread

HailMan06

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

30th anniversary of the May 31, 1985 tornado outbreak coming up.

Though the storms were no longer tornadic when they reached

our area, it was the only time that I experienced continuous 

lightning while living in Long Beach. I knew something impressive

was coming since the static on the am band was off the charts for 

hours leading up to storm time around midnight.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/cle/office/localinterest/1985Tornado/1985Tornado.php

30th anniversary of the May 31, 1985 tornado outbreak coming up.

Though the storms were no longer tornadic when they reached

our area, it was the only time that I experienced continuous

lightning while living in Long Beach. I knew something impressive

was coming since the static on the am band was off the charts for

hours leading up to storm time around midnight.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/cle/office/localinterest/1985Tornado/1985Tornado.php

I remember this storm well. Living in new Hyde park at the time. I'd yet to experience lightning as frequent as that evening.

Some radar estimates out of southern OK are 12"+.

Hopefully at some point that rain is able to make it further Northeast. It's pretty amazing how the rain shields seem to just hit a brick wall once they are East of the mountains.

persistent ridge. Have to wonder if that's going to be the summer theme, if so, we're in for another dry one like last summer.

But it's been so warm as well as dry with a continuation of that warm pattern. Usually wouldn't a ton of warmth eventually equal a lot of convective opportunities. I mean this isn't the desert SW, when things get really hot, convection is not too far away.

I think eventually we'll see the rains from convective activity really pick up as we enter the summer month especially if things are well above normal temperature wise.  

But it's been so warm as well as dry with a continuation of that warm pattern. Usually wouldn't a ton of warmth eventually equal a lot of convective opportunities. I mean this isn't the desert SW, when things get really hot, convection is not too far away.

I think eventually we'll see the rains from convective activity really pick up as we enter the summer month especially if things are well above normal temperature wise.

The problem begins when there is no soil moisture anywhere near us. In order to solve that we need to tap the Atlantic we need synoptic rain to get the soil moisture back. Then we can create convection

Not necessarily. Yesterday we had plenty of moisture in the air and no trigger. This time of year you need a shortwave to set off organized convection or a well timed front.

It's amazing that even with near record rainfall in May for TX/OK, no end is in sight, at least not for the next seven days.

Payback for August and September 2011 when we cashed in and Texas and Oklahoma got shafted with the severe drought.

Another flood watch is likely throughout TX for this weekend with another strong disturbance coming out from Mexico on the STJ. 3-5" widespread with up to 8" where storms train. Locally we should make it to a foot of rain for the month. The flip side is the humidity, which makes for daily heat indices at or over 95 whenever the sun can come out.

Severe storms in south TX this evening. Tornado warning currently for western San Antonio, severe thunderstorm warning for us in Austin. Also a flood watch for all of TX through Monday as waves of rain are expected through the next two days, and a tornado watch tonight. I already had a T-storm this afternoon with some pretty solid wind gusts. 

Edit: Two tornado warnings in San Antonio now, and a tornado warning for the western portion of my county. 

Archived