Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Met Spring Banter Thread

HailMan06

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, just gorgeous. 140 kts by the JTWC and officially forecast to hit 155, though I find that a bit hard to believe given SSTs dropping off to 27-28C and pretty hostile shear just a few degrees to the north. As it stands, though, that eye is a thing of beauty. Yap looks to have narrowly missed quite the disaster.

taWOixI.gif

Unreal!! At first I thought it was a late season southern hemi storm. Unreal that, that basin can support a cat 5 so insanely early!!!! It also shows that moving forward more intense storms will occur when the atmosphere clicks with the increased ocean temps

Man, just gorgeous. 140 kts by the JTWC and officially forecast to hit 155, though I find that a bit hard to believe given SSTs dropping off to 27-28C and pretty hostile shear just a few degrees to the north. As it stands, though, that eye is a thing of beauty. Yap looks to have narrowly missed quite the disaster.

taWOixI.gif

I have a cousin who does missionary work in Yap. Sometimes it slips my mind to even monitor the pacific this time of year. Amazing how powerful hurricanes in that region can get. And there is little to no protection on those little islands.

It's no Hynan but that's a text book high end cat 5. I really think they need to add a cat 6 for over 175mph

The thing about Cat 6 is that the SSHS (and subsequent SSHWS) was developed chiefly from an engineering perspective to diagnose the potential damage to property and infrastructure based on sustained winds. It's generally assumed that no structures could endure 160+ kt winds, so Cat 5 is considered the "ultimate" destruction. There might be a handful of WPAC systems that barely meet the criteria for a hypothetical Cat 6, but since very few storms even manage to make landfall as a marginal Cat 5, there's really no need for an additional category.

This pacific blocking pattern has turned things lethal with new mandatory water restrictions for California.

So while weenies throw their hands in joy, there's very little good being done elsewhere and all resources are being tested. Let's not forget the money tossed because of this year's cold and snow either.

This pacific blocking pattern has turned things lethal with new mandatory water restrictions for California.

So while weenies throw their hands in joy, there's very little good being done elsewhere and all resources are being tested. Let's not forget the money tossed because of this year's cold and snow either.

Let us also not forget about the records broken.

Courtesy of the +PDO/+PNA/-EPO/+ENSO regime we were in all winter long....

Next week could either turn out decent or a complete disaster depending on where the front sets up.

I could see how we get a couple of raw, chilly days next week in the 40s given the flow off the very cold ocean. How very classic April where this time of year you enjoy a NW wind but fear an east wind.

Archived