• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Met Spring Banter Thread

HailMan06

If I recall astronomy class, a black hole is an area in outer space whose gravitational pull is sooooooo great...even light...with an escape velocity of 186,000 miles per second..cannot escape from it.  Black holes were once suns....they go through the various stages...when young they are blue & hot...then medium age...yellow and mid temp like our sun...then orange and cooler but growing in mass like Arctrus,,,then red like Betelgeuse....massive & cool...then they supernovae....(explode) and then they contract and become extremely dense and small white dwarfs...or something like that.

Cool fact-every element heavier than carbon came from a supernova explosion (an explosion so great it can light up part of an entire galaxy) or fused matter inside a supergiant star which exploded in a supernova. So pretty much any physical matter besides carbon came from such an explosion, indeed much of our own bodies. Supergiant stars can fuse atoms up to iron, then past there more fusion creates less energy than required to sustain the star, so the star explodes and every heavier element is created from the force of the explosion and flung into space. 

Our star, the Sun, can only fuse matter into carbon I believe, because the mass isn't there to fuse into heavier elements.

As you can tell, astronomy is another hobby of mine. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Pamela

I invariably relieve myself of all those concerns by drawing upon the wise admonition of John Maynard Keynes:  "In the long run, we are all dead."

Cool fact-every element heavier than carbon came from a supernova explosion (an explosion so great it can light up part of an entire galaxy) or fused matter inside a supergiant star which exploded in a supernova. So pretty much any physical matter besides carbon came from such an explosion, indeed much of our own bodies. Supergiant stars can fuse atoms up to iron, then past there more fusion creates less energy than required to sustain the star, so the star explodes and every heavier element is created from the force of the explosion and flung into space. 

Our star, the Sun, can only fuse matter into carbon I believe, because the mass isn't there to fuse into heavier elements.

You are very knowledgeable. 

If I recall astronomy class, a black hole is an area in outer space whose gravitational pull is sooooooo great...even light...with an escape velocity of 186,000 miles per second..cannot escape from it.  Black holes were once suns....they go through the various stages...when young they are blue & hot...then medium age...yellow and mid temp like our sun...then orange and cooler but growing in mass like Arctrus,,,then red like Betelgeuse....massive & cool...then they supernovae....(explode) and then they contract and become extremely dense and small white dwarfs...or something like that.

Escape velocity is different from velocity... you can't shoehorn the term in just because it sounds cool, ya know. ;)

Guest Pamela

Escape velocity is different from velocity... you can't shoehorn the term in just because it sounds cool, ya know. ;)

Well, at least I got the speed right...I'll make the needed changes.  I probably accidently threw "escape" into the mix because the thought of light's inability to "escape" the black hole filtered into my thinking. 

Astronomy is such a fascinating subject.  I am always just awed by the size of stars, galaxies, the universe...lots of interesting tidbits that involve scale.  One of the most interesting is that the amount of energy released in a few seconds from a Gamma Ray Burst equals the entire amount of energy our Sun will emit in its ~10 billion lifespan.  Just mind boggling to think about that!

What an incredible winter historic to me. the coldest winter I have ever saw and incredibly dynamic with its persistent pattern!

I'm amazed what a perfect winter would be and I think we have just seen a perfect winter. Well if we had a mega snowstorm around March 30th or so it would be perfect. But we'd need 20 inches or so.

Edit: pazzo must be pissed because it snowed 2 days ago. Hmmm probably not cause at heart he's still a snow weenie.

My only gripe with spring is allergies. Other than that it's wonderful.

Many hate spring for that very reason. It's an absolute nightmare for them and I'm not a fan of widespread pollen and gunk everywhere.

For me, spring is my least favorite season. I'll take fall over spring any day when it comes to transitional seasons.

Many hate spring for that very reason. It's an absolute nightmare for them and I'm not a fan of widespread pollen and gunk everywhere.

For me, spring is my least favorite season. I'll take fall over spring any day when it comes to transitional seasons.

I love the smell of spring, but autumn -- with its chilly air, beautiful colors, and that faint scent of winter cold -- certainly tops the season of sneezes.

I pass the area when I go home from work.Lots of police cars and news stations around tonight. Terrible news.

We must be work neighbors. My sense of Brooklyn geography is terrible so I didn't realize exactly where the fire had taken place, but I passed the block this morning. I can't wrap my head around it.

Archived