• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Spring Banter Thread

HailMan06

We're did all the "radar doesn't look good to me" and "sun angle" posters from yesterday afternoon go?....most everyone here got exactly what was expected, general 3-6" and far northern areas overperformed from the 1" we were expecting

Remember when warlock and manwithnoface try telling us we are wasting snow before 1pm? We would not see the 4-6 that the Hrrr had for us

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When does or will the warming trend full start? 2nd week of April?

eventually we have to see a warm day or period but the theme of the Spring is cooler than normal...better chances for snow the first half of April...last year there was some snow with a cold shot mid month...

It's crazy how much snow can melt in a matter of hours, spots that had nearly 6 inches of snow this morning are back to nothing.

Yeah, it was impressive to watch how rapidly it began to melt once the sun came out. A March/September 21 sun angle

with even low 40's can really melt snow.

Yeah, it was impressive to watch how rapidly it began to melt once the sun came out. A March/September 21 sun angle

with even low 40's can really melt snow.

My parents today said the snow was almost gone in LB-looks like they finished close to 6" with the snow showers overnight. I remember 7" of snow after the April 2003 storm disappearing as fast as it fell. Crazy what the sun can do now. 

My parents today said the snow was almost gone in LB-looks like they finished close to 6" with the snow showers overnight. I remember 7" of snow after the April 2003 storm disappearing as fast as it fell. Crazy what the sun can do now. 

I went from 5" here on the colder surfaces to just some scattered patches left in the shaded areas today.

It's great to finally see solid plans for an ER and scaled down medical facility to return to Long Beach after Sandy.

They seemed to strike a compromise between a larger hospital that was losing money for years and

something just big enough to meet public safety needs. Most of the Sandy damaged hospital buildings

are scheduled to be knocked down. Many of the smaller houses and buildings on the hospital property

are already gone. Went by about a week ago and all the open space looks really different in that

neighborhood. I still haven't gotten used to all those missing trees.

http://www.newsday.com/news/health/medical-site-with-24-7-emergency-service-to-replace-sandy-ruined-hospital-in-long-beach-1.10074497

Astronomical winter here was the 3rd coldest since 1977, behind 1977-78 and 93-94....remember also that this period got off to a warm start as the last 10 days or so of Dec was very mild.

The remarkable part was it was entirely Pacific driven, +PDO/-EPO/-WPO and +PNA. There was zero help from the Atlantic and arctic (no -NAO or -AO) all winter long. We lucked out with the PV on our side of the globe and cross-polar flow

Got some late season snowboarding in. Just went to the poconos to catch the fresh snow. When I left LI this morning at 7 it was like the depths of winter with 5-6 inches and snow actually started falling again. Just got back and it's basically all gone. I am ready for spring- but if there is another MECS out there I'm ready for that too. At his point though- I feel like its either double digit snow or give me 70s. March is a great month because its the only month you can reasonably expect both lol.

Guest Pamela

Perhaps you can replace Norm Dvoskin @ News 12 when he retires...?

Cygnus, would you be so kind as to delete than quote of mine...wouldn't want anyone to become too familiar with me.  Thnxs in advance.  W/o checking, I think Cygnus sounds like a star in this galaxy within 100 light years of the solar system...I'm going to check.  Binary system maybe?

Guest Pamela

Cygnus, would you be so kind as to delete than quote of mine...wouldn't want anyone to become too familiar with me.  Thnxs in advance.  W/o checking, I think Cygnus sounds like a star in this galaxy within 100 light years of the solar system...I'm going to check.  Binary system maybe?

My goodness I was not far off...technically it is a constellation...but there is a star within the constellation with the same name more or less...and it is binary...pretty amazing that I could remember such an arcane fact. 

You have to admit...I'm very smart...and a little conceited. 

Done.

Cygnus X-1 is the designation of the first black hole discovered in astronomy, and the title of a kick ass Rush song!

Guest Pamela

Done.

Cygnus X-1 is the designation of the first black hole discovered in astronomy, and the title of a kick ass Rush song!

Thank you C; thank you very much.

Guest Pamela

Done.

If I recall astronomy class, a black hole is an area in outer space whose gravitational pull is sooooooo great...even light...with a speed of 186,000 miles per second..cannot escape from it.  Black holes were once suns....they go through the various stages...when young they are blue & hot...then medium age...yellow and mid temp like our sun...then orange and cooler but growing in mass like Arctrus,,,then red like Betelgeuse....massive & cool...then they supernovae....(explode) and then they contract and become extremely dense and small white dwarfs...or something like that.

If I recall astronomy class, a black hole is an area in outer space whose gravitational pull is sooooooo great...even light...with an escape velocity of 186,000 miles per second..cannot escape from it.  Black holes were once suns....they go through the various stages...when young they are blue & hot...then medium age...yellow and mid temp like our sun...then orange and cooler but growing in mass like Arctrus,,,then red like Betelgeuse....massive & cool...then they supernovae....(explode) and then they contract and become extremely dense and small white dwarfs...or something like that.

The Cygnus system is actually a binary star/ black hole set up. I'm no expert by any means, but black holes seem to be of many varieties. It also seems obvious that all galaxies have super massive black holes at their center,similar to cyclones here on

Earth perhaps...?

Guest Pamela

The Cygnus system is actually a binary star/ black hole set up. I'm no expert by any means, but black holes seem to be of many varieties. It also seems obvious that all galaxies have super massive black holes at their center,similar to cyclones here on

Earth perhaps...?

It is interesting....how cyclones & galaxies  are sooo very similar in appearance when viewed from overhead...

It is interesting....how cyclones & galaxies  are sooo very similar in appearance when viewed from overhead...

Cloud droplets=stars?

Kinda depressing to think of ourselves as a tiny tiny speck on a cloud droplet within a cyclone amongst perhaps 100 billion cyclones in the universe. It's impossible to even wrap your head around how massive the universe is, and where it all came from. And we can't even see all of it-we can only see where light has made it back to us, which is less and less as the universe keeps expanding, so as time goes on, we'll know less and less about what's around us, due to a force called dark energy, which supposedly makes up 70+ percent of the universe, and which cannot even be perceived, along with dark matter which makes up another 25%. 

Makes for one crazy acid trip. 

Archived