Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Met Spring Banter Thread

HailMan06

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today looks promising, SPC definitely sees potential for large hail, wind and maybe some tornadoes in central TX. The upper low over the Four Corners and a S/W moving up from Mexico should provide good shear and a moist environment, and the dry line should be in a good place. Hopefully these low clouds we have now clear out soon-it's been quite a frequent occurrence here most mornings. When it does we should be off to the races.

On another note, Sunday could be our first 90 of the year.

Had 0.6" here late on the 15th into the 16th as rain changed to snow before ending...this was preceded by high temps of 83 and 80 on the 13th and 14th.

Several local stations had light accumulations in that range but the park as usual came in with the lowball T.

About to get a drenching (hopefully). Skies look threatening and a decent T-storm complex is SW of us. The skies never really cleared out which likely capped the severe potential along I-35, there have been some storms to the west though with baseball sized hail and 70mph winds. No tornadoes yet.

Lots of rolling thunder right now.

I was in Austin last October and experienced one of the most intense light shows from constant storms I can ever remember. The sky lit up south of us for a solid 2-3 hours.

Last year there was at least one damaging hail event in Austin-we definitely get our share of severe weather. The problem today seems to have been how early the storms flared up over the Rio Grande-it never allowed us to clear out and destabilize enough. We needed the dry line further east maybe. Tomorrow's another chance though.

Ahh well, another missed opportunity today. We could never clear out due to the low clouds not clearing out and the anvils from the Rio Grande storms surging east early in the day. There were some bad storms in the western Hill Country closer to the dryline and also south of San Antonio which are merging into a big MCS closer to Houston, which has been getting drenched for a month now. All in all, maybe half an inch of rain so far and maybe some more showers to come, but in terms of severe we're done until tomorrow. Tomorrow might be better as the dryline and upper low are coming east and we might be able to wait until later in the day to fire off storms, which would hopefully mean the storms which nailed the Rio Grande and W TX today and yesterday can nail us tomorrow along I-35. It seems like we need this to fire later in the day and a good bit into Texas if we want a good chance at severe here. Severe weather forecasting isn't my forte. 

Let's see how today goes-it's trying to clear out here but it's mostly cloudy, around 75. Some big storms are popping north of San Antonio and headed this way, and there are some other big ones west of there near the dryline, a couple have been tornado warned. Seeing a few tall cumulus west of us. 

Tomorrow looks to be a scorcher, high around 90. 

Drumroll-warned now for a storm coming at Austin with golf ball sized hail and 60mph winds. Here goes. 

Wow at the hail core on the cell. May be bigger than golf ball hail in this one. If this hits where I am this will be fun. Already some big lightning flashes in the western sky. 

Drumroll-warned now for a storm coming at Austin with golf ball sized hail and 60mph winds. Here goes.

Wow at the hail core on the cell. May be bigger than golf ball hail in this one. If this hits where I am this will be fun. Already some big lightning flashes in the western sky.

Wow that's quite an impressive cell right into the city

Wow, that was a rush. Crazy, intense 15 minutes. We had probably 50-60 mph winds, blinding rain (still coming down heavy), lightning like crazy which is still going in the eastern sky, and penny-marble sized hail where I am. Sounded bigger than that with the bangs coming from my roof but doesn't look any bigger than that and luckily the cars in my parking lot aren't dented. The worst of the cell looks like it edged just north of me towards Downtown (I live a couple of miles south of Downtown), and the hail core looks like it ran out just west of here, but that was a rush. It's definitely up there with the best severe storm I've seen, which isn't saying much but still intense. 

Edit: hearing sirens and trucks rushing around outside now, that's never good. Luckily I still have power. 

Huge branch is chilling out in my apartment swimming pool now, as another massive thunder roll and lightning still going off. 

Fun times out there

Man, not even 10 miles west of me reported 2" hail, the Lake Travis area is a 30-40 min drive from my apartment at most, and Dripping Springs (where 2" hail was reported) is maybe 15-20 minutes. The hail core out there stood out-radar was bright purple right before I got hit. In a way I'm happy, because the last thing I needed was hail dents on my car. That's why there's comprehensive. :P

Archived