• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Met Spring Banter Thread

HailMan06

What evidence do you have to back up that statement. Most experts say we're still in an active cycle, and that it's not unusual to have a cluster of below average seasons.

We are going into a -AMO cycle, no one is denying that, look at the AMO numbers and the Atlantic SST configuration

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are going into a -AMO cycle, no one is denying that, look at the AMO numbers and the Atlantic SST configuration

You're absolutly right. This is not just a "slow" period. No one hates this more then east coast surfers like myself. We were spoiled for the last 2 decades with east coast surfing making the world map after a contest on par with the super bowl went off with a cat 4 spinning off the OBX. Those days are over.

Back on topic another day of horrendous weather. We saw this comming a million miles away though. I think we switch right to summer at some point in the next couple weeks

You're absolutly right. This is not just a "slow" period. No one hates this more then east coast surfers like myself. We were spoiled for the last 2 decades with east coast surfing making the world map after a contest on par with the super bowl went off with a cat 4 spinning off the OBX. Those days are over.

Back on topic another day of horrendous weather. We saw this comming a million miles away though. I think we switch right to summer at some point in the next couple weeks

Disagree, ensembles show us reverting back to an east coast trough towards the end of the month. Also if we are indeed switching to a prolonged -AMO then we should be see a lack of summer heat though a warming planet would be at odds with that somewhat. 

Just because the AMO is negative doesn't mean we've locked in a -AMO cycle. 

Disagree, ensembles show us reverting back to an east coast trough towards the end of the month. Also if we are indeed switching to a prolonged -AMO then we should be see a lack of summer heat though a warming planet would be at odds with that somewhat.

Just because the AMO is negative doesn't mean we've locked in a -AMO cycle.

Ok, done arguing this with you. Fruitless. Truth be told, we have entered a long term -AMO, it's fact, not opinion

Ok, done arguing this with you. Fruitless. Truth be told, we have entered a long term -AMO, it's fact, not opinion

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/data/correlation/amon.us.data

According to this the AMO has been mostly positive and was positive for the past "quieter" hurricane seasons. There's not enough to prove we've entered a long term -AMO just because March averaged negative. There are far more factors in play than just the AMO itself but currently the overall state of the AMO is still averaging positive since it flipped around 1995. 

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/data/correlation/amon.us.data

According to this the AMO has been mostly positive and was positive for the past "quieter" hurricane seasons. There's not enough to prove we've entered a long term -AMO just because March averaged negative. There are far more factors in play than just the AMO itself but currently the overall state of the AMO is still averaging positive since it flipped around 1995.

There has been a progressive down trend for years it's not a sudden negative jump. And mets and climatologists with Ph.D.'s agree we are going into a long term negative phase. I know you don't want it to be true because you think -AMO means less Atlantic and arctic blocking (+NAO and +AO) and less intense winter storms and sub par hurricane seasons. But as has been pointed out, at least the NAO and AO part of that is not always true

There has been a progressive down trend for years it's not a sudden negative jump. And mets and climatologists with Ph.D.'s agree we are going into a long term negative phase. I know you don't want it to be true because you think -AMO means less Atlantic and arctic blocking (+NAO and +AO) and less intense winter storms and sub par hurricane seasons. But as has been pointed out, at least the NAO and AO part of that is not always true

If the -AMO means record cold and more winters like 12/13 and 14/15 then I welcome it with open arms. All we need is a bit more blocking which doesn't sound unreasonable. And a quiet hurricane period doesn't mean we're safe either. We've seen a few monsters in the previous -AMO period. 

Last year was pretty good for surfing, at least around here. The previous +AMO era had negative spikes as well, too early to call guys. It's more than likely a product of the +NAO.

I think it works the other way around, cold winters push the AMO negative.

cdas-sflux_ssta7diff_atl_1.png

For sure last summer was great. We had a swell on July 4th that came up way way faster then anything I have seen in Hawaii. 3 foot to 10 foot plus in 5 minutes it was absolutly insane!!!! We lucked out big time though with tracks as most storms that did form were right in our swell window. Moving forward I doubt we are that lucky.

This summer is all about a developing moderate Nino. I still remember 97 there was one hurricane swell that was it. Not saying we see that this summer but my hopes aren't high

Hoping the el nino poofs a bit. Hurricane Bob came during a borderline weak/mod event, having a west based el-nino modoki would help as well. Sometimes homebrew activity inherently has more impact, depends on the pattern. Most of us don't want more than big waves but mother nature is not discriminatory.

The recent tendency for hurricanes to form predominantly outside of the tropics (20N) is also more favorable for impacts locally if anything does form, while leaving Florida and GOM in the clear.

The impacts are all relative, we've had some sick events between 2009-2014 from Irene, Sandy, and a couple close brushes creating massive surf, and this was occuring while Florida was in their longest hurricane drought on record.

It's challenging for me to downplay it anymore, SST are seemingly always warm along the coast, even with the current -AMO. 

navy-anom-bb.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Bob

Beautiful small drone footage of a gorgeous winter day in Long Beach.

Does anyone that posts here own one of these?

A friend of mine took this during the "busted" blizzard. I'd like to get one myself but I still can't quite justify it. As far as money goes they're not too expensive anymore but things are getting hazy as far as the law.

Global warming is causing massive sharp cut off jet streams which are not budging much. Meaning jet streams are getting stronger but are stationary more or less. Areas that do get rain will keep getting inundated, meanwhile areas that are not on the path of the prolonged jet stream overhead, will get dry winds and no precipitation. I've noticed this a few years ago and I wanted to share it with you. In my opinion this is really bad news, as California drought may get worse and hurricanes could get stronger. The image below shows an illustration of (RED jet stream supports the wet humid air), (BLUE Jet stream would be dry and windy collaboration of the two).79a7acb7d6923ec74adc4c16f93c0104.jpg

Sent from my spaceship

Boston hit 70 today. Figures they would hit that before we did.

If it makes you feel any better, it hit 87 in Austin today. It hit me-walked outside for 10 minutes around midday and the sun (believe me, you feel it, it's 10 degrees higher in the sky than NYC) broke me out in sweat. It hit 87 a week ago under almost a 70 degree dewpoint and drenched me in sweat tout suite. Summer's gonna suuuuuuuck. 

If it makes you feel any better, it hit 87 in Austin today. It hit me-walked outside for 10 minutes around midday and the sun (believe me, you feel it, it's 10 degrees higher in the sky than NYC) broke me out in sweat. It hit 87 a week ago under almost a 70 degree dewpoint and drenched me in sweat tout suite. Summer's gonna suuuuuuuck.

Sheesh thank god that's only dealt with here for 3 months

Sheesh thank god that's only dealt with here for 3 months

And up around NYC at least the heat hits for a few days, maybe a week, before a front comes through (for many with a good squall line and severe weather) and cools everyone off. Here, post Memorial Day the only heat relief to expect before mid-late Sept is a tropical system or a front on steroids/random MCS, which cools us off but at the expense of jacking up the humidity. From late July to Labor Day it isn't unheard of to have 3/4 of daily highs be above 100 with quite a few above 105. Even people "used to the heat" from FL and CA warn about the heat in south Texas. 

Archived