• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 14-15 Flizzard and Wind Event

Bob Chill

Funny to read you guys talking about Blackwater Falls...Rented a cabin for vday with the wife up there this weekend.  No kids, snow and cold...looking forward to it!  Don't know the topography real well but I hope to see some good upslope and bitter temps...Looks like our cabin is at about 1600', which is low compared to some of the surrounding ridges.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny to read you guys talking about Blackwater Falls...Rented a cabin for vday with the wife up there this weekend.  No kids, snow and cold...looking forward to it!  Don't know the topography real well but I hope to see some good upslope and bitter temps...Looks like our cabin is at about 1600', which is low compared to some of the surrounding ridges.

Does Blackwater still have gravell public roads as you approach the lodge or is it all paved now.

I know everyone is looking at snow possibilities, but I am also pumped about the cold that's progged. Mentioned this in the storm thread, but models are showing single digit lows at BWI and even DCA on today's runs.

Here are BWI's single-digit lows since 1990 after Feb. 1. I only found 4 instances after 2/10 in the past 25 years and 3 were in March, including last year. Would love to see this verify.

2/19/93: 9

2/5/95: 9

2/6/95: 5

2/9/03: 9

2/1/04: 8

2/2/04: 9

2/6/07: 8

3/4/09: 8

3/3/14: 5

3/4/14: 4

I hope we can escape a cheap high at 12:01am Sunday morning. Go to Wisp and hang out there in the food court. I am unsure Mr Z if you will be able to be colder than when we stood on the elevated banks of lake Ontario with a temperature of 10 and 40+mph winds

If I went to chase LES which I am/was considering it would be colder for sure.  But I am either going to New England or WV/Western MD...They're under a watch for tomorrow and should have 12"+ on the ground* on Saturday when areas could pick up another 4-6"+

*They have 8" on ground right now

If I went to chase LES which I am/was considering it would be colder for sure. But I am either going to New England or WV/Western MD...They're under a watch for tomorrow and should have 12"+ on the ground on Saturday when areas could pick up another 4-6"+

Boston is so far. It's almost in canada. Chase in your own backyard

If I went to chase LES which I am/was considering it would be colder for sure. But I am either going to New England or WV/Western MD...They're under a watch for tomorrow and should have 12"+ on the ground on Saturday when areas could pick up another 4-6"+

It's a lot of fun out there. I can't remember which year (I think Jan 2011) but I did a 3 day weekend at Wisp and it snowed off and on almost the entire time. I measured 18" over 3 days but it was windy to so who knows. The squalls were brief but relentless and intense. Sky went dark then a half inch fell in 15 minutes then peeks of blue and repeat. Going over Keysers ridge on the way home was nuts. Whiteout and drifts.

Boston is so far. It's almost in canada. Chase in your own backyard

It's not often that you'll see 4 ft of snow on the ground in a major East Coast city with a fourth 12-20"+ storm on the way. 

LES in the mountains isn't unusual... my vote is for Boston if the Euro is right.

Guess I am looking forward to my cartop coating, a breeze and highs in the 20s. But what I am really pumped up about, is the torrential RAIN to follow in a few days after that, and the 4 feet of snow in Boston after that. That is, four MORE feet of snow in BOS on top of the 4 feet they already have. Weathafella and Ginxy will be dancing in the snow clogged streets for sheer joy. Peabody Flood's house will be completely covered in deep snow by a drift

If I went to chase LES which I am/was considering it would be colder for sure.  But I am either going to New England or WV/Western MD...They're under a watch for tomorrow and should have 12"+ on the ground* on Saturday when areas could pick up another 4-6"+

*They have 8" on ground right now

zwyts,

I'll be in Canaan Valley this weekend for cross country skiing.   I usually head up there 3 times a winter.  The area around Davis, WV is great to visit even if there isn't snow.  Blackwater falls has great trails and phenomenal scenery, there are a few downhill resorts in Canaan Valley, good food choices in Davis, and of course Whitegrass (best xc skiing around).  That whole area generally does awesome during upslope events like tomorrow.  Only problem is the roads if you don't have 4WD or snow tires.  I picked up some tire chains a few years ago and have made good use out of them up there.

zwyts,

I'll be in Canaan Valley this weekend for cross country skiing.   I usually head up there 3 times a winter.  The area around Davis, WV is great to visit even if there isn't snow.  Blackwater falls has great trails and phenomenal scenery, there are a few downhill resorts in Canaan Valley, good food choices in Davis, and of course Whitegrass (best xc skiing around).  That whole area generally does awesome during upslope events like tomorrow.  Only problem is the roads if you don't have 4WD or snow tires.  I picked up some tire chains a few years ago and have made good use out of them up there.

Thanks man...If I go I will have a 4wd.....Saturday is looking good.  

SAT AFTERNOON/EVENING...THE LAPSE RATES WILL STEEPEN WITH 850MB

TEMPERATURES DROPPING OFF SHARPLY INTO THE -10 TO -15C RANGE. GOOD

CRYSTAL GROWTH SHOULD ONCE AGAIN BE REALIZED IN SNOW SQUALLS THAT

DEVELOP BEHIND THE COLD FRONT. THE SNOW SQUALL PARAMETER FROM WFO

BURLINGTON RUN OFF OF THE 12Z NAM AND GFS BOTH PUT A BULLSEYE OF

VALUES GREATER THAN 5...WITH ANYTHING OVER 1 CONSIDERED FAVORABLE

FOR SNOW SQUALL DEVELOPMENT.

zwyts,

We'll be there too (the whole family), along with about half the population of the DC metro area.  Presidents Day is the busiest weekend of the entire ski season.  About the only saving grace will be the absurdly cold temperatures - wind chills -20 should help keep at least the kids at bay on the lifts, but I would still expect hour plus delays at the downhill areas to buy lift tickets and maybe 30-40 minute lift lines, based on past experiences.  Your best bet would be White Grass or the trails in the park.

We'll be there too (the whole family), along with about half the population of the DC metro area. Presidents Day is the busiest weekend of the entire ski season. About the only saving grace will be the absurdly cold temperatures - wind chills -20 should help keep at least the kids at bay on the lifts, but I would still expect hour plus delays at the downhill areas to buy lift tickets and maybe 30-40 minute lift lines, based on past experiences. Your best bet would be White Grass or the trails in the park.

I've never seen it that crowded in Canaan Valley, if that's what you're talking about.

Archived