joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 14-15 Flizzard and Wind Event

Bob Chill

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nowhere to go but up. Getting measurable with big wind would be a nice win. If we can get this to dig more, that helps next week, right?

Edit: My bar

.25" of snow

One 40mph gust imby (which would pretty much beat last year's svr season)

Might help form a pseudo 50/50/confluence, at least initially?

I have higher standards for this one than you do, though. :P

12Z Euro has midday temps on Sunday of 0 to +5F and winds of 25-55 mph in the high ground of Garrett Co. Wind chills -20 to -30. Doesn't show any precip falling, but plenty of snow depth for blowing and drifting. If this looks to hold, I may try and talk the family into doing some hiking there on Sunday.

12Z Euro has midday temps on Sunday of 0 to +5F and winds of 25-55 mph in the high ground of Garrett Co. Wind chills -20 to -30. Doesn't show any precip falling, but plenty of snow depth for blowing and drifting. If this looks to hold, I may try and talk the family into doing some hiking there on Sunday.

GFS and Euro both have widespread 50mph gusts for a time with windchills well below zero. If we get an inch on the ground it's surely going to look and feel like winter.

I think I am punting Boston and going to Tucker/Preston/Garrett on saturday. They should get shellacked. We might do pretty well too

Go to blackwater falls and hit the lindy point trail. Wind funnels down the canyon and it can be pretty bad a$$ out on the point. It's a 1/4 mile walk from the parking area...if that.

Go to blackwater falls and hit the lindy point trail. Wind funnels down the canyon and it can be pretty bad a$$ out on the point. It's a 1/4 mile walk from the parking area...if that.

Agree.  The frozen falls are a sight to behold as well.  Very cool.

BlackwaterFallsSP_winter.jpg

Swallow Falls in Maryland west of Oakland is cool too:

swallow-falls-state-park.jpg

One of my favorite places is Herrington Manor State Park right next door where they have stone cabins for rent and a great sledding hill.  The park office (right next to the sledding hill in the woods) has XC ski, sled and snowshoe rentals and the sledding hill is lighted until 11pm on the weekends.  

http://reservations.dnr.state.md.us/#

It's an all around great area. If I thought it would be safe, I'd try to figure out a way to get up on Dolly Sods, but it would be brutal up there and you'd have to hike in since the roads are not maintained this time of year. Still though, there's plenty to do at Blackwater Falls, Canaan Valley, etc. You can snowshoe at Whitegrass for $35. That includes the cost to rent the snowshoes. And only 3 hours from DC. 

Agree.  The frozen falls are a sight to behold as well.  Very cool.

BlackwaterFallsSP_winter.jpg

nam and just about every other model look terrible for us except for canadien which hasnt been right since Canada was part of the United States

I'm gonna be at the DC convention center this weekend for a volleyball tournament I doubt I even get to see the wind

Archived