Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Super Snow Sunday 2/15-Party Like it's 1717

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly have no idea what I need in order to receive more snowfall...does a tick south help here?

The further west, south, and slower things pull, the more pretty much everybody sees.

And pretty much nobody is at risk of taint or changeover here, so tug away says I.

I still don't think the NAM has its teeth into anything at this range, but the takeaway here is actually that we're starting to see some consistency with the overall output... most of what I'm seeing from 00z into this run looks similar.

Yea, a wobble here or there. Pretty consistent signal from guidance. I think you should be feeling more confident if you're in NE MA into ME. SW of there, we need more digging at 12z today But we aren't completely out of it.

I think we've seen this show before. The mid level tracks are great and the actual qpf depiction is a step behind. I bet this set of guidance or next catches up and shows pretty much a bomb for a lot of SNE. As some have said, mid levels on GFS trending south while EURO might have gone a touch north. 

Bombing low goes south of us but most QPF falls up in Maine? Not if the ULL tracks under us. I just don't buy that.

These NAM solutions just refuse to make this more than a raging snow flurry wind fest... Pounds PWM and point NE toward NS though... wow.  Historically perhaps at that.  

Not sure what to make of this... Each model has it's own idea on show this impacts SNE.  The GGEM/NAVGEM both pound SNE all the way back to the Berk's relative to their own QPF biases... 

These NAM solutions just refuse to make this more than a raging snow flurry wind fest... Pounds PWM and point NE toward NS though... wow.  Historically perhaps at that.  

Not sure what to make of this... Each model has it's own idea on show this impacts SNE.  The GGEM/NAVGEM both pound SNE all the way back to the Berk's relative to their own QPF biases... 

John, what is your gut on this?? 

Not what you think should be spewed forth onto grids....but what would you think the end result would be if you had a couple shots of truth serum at the local watering hole...

I think we've seen this show before. The mid level tracks are great and the actual qpf depiction is a step behind. I bet this set of guidance or next catches up and shows pretty much a bomb for a lot of SNE. As some have said, mid levels on GFS trending south while EURO might have gone a touch north. 

Bombing low goes south of us but most QPF falls up in Maine? Not if the ULL tracks under us. I just don't buy that.

Well, WIll mentions that this 5H low struggles to get "inflow" going which is a key reason why a 5H track under us is usually so awesome

Well, WIll mentions that this 5H low struggles to get "inflow" going which is a key reason why a 5H track under us is usually so awesome

Right, models aren't "dumb." There is a reason why the QPF is further NE. It's not like they go "hey, the ULL is going south of us! Oh noes..bump up QPF!" The best dynamics are NE into Maine. At least as currently modeled.

John, what is your gut on this?? 

Not what you think should be spewed forth onto grids....but what would you think the end result would be if you had a couple shots of truth serum at the local watering hole...

Well ... ever since that last event, it just has never sat well with me that the N-stream is trying to bully these deep anomalies through in such rapid succession ... There's a an atmospheric recovery issue in play, all over eastern America, and that really hasn't gone away. 

In fact, this event today/night (that is going to drill a massive amount of DPVA under us without apparent consequence ...) is actually still yet a detriment to this latter weekend deal, whether it sticks around or not.  Sorry - but my gut 'feelings' are in part constructed by logic...  

It is still whisking away what recovery we may have made (in terms of moisture and thermodynamic gradients) since the duration event left and left the region neutralized.  The current system places the area right back into starvation mode by tomorrow; and then already ... we have to be ready for the arrival of the beast Saturday night?  Good luck. It could just be one of the most exotic examples of wasted wave dynamics since modern technology, math and physics all teamed up to invent Meteorology.  

The key there might be that 'beast' term, in the sense that it is a powerful entity in the atmosphere ...truly, as an understatement. I am confident that those conceptual aspects discussed above are true, but when you start pressing into anomalies of this scale ...heh, tough to have a gut about that.  

I agree with those that see the NE zones as greatest impacts ... You know, this whole system is like an LP supercell.   

Right, models aren't "dumb." There is a reason why the QPF is further NE. It's not like they go "hey, the ULL is going south of us! Oh noes..bump up QPF!" The best dynamics are NE into Maine. At least as currently modeled.

There is often reasoning for being a Queen. I like that phrase...models aren't dumb.

Archived