EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Super Snow Sunday 2/15-Party Like it's 1717

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just my opinion, nice event but pedestrian by this winters standards unless you're in the space station watching the upper atmospheric spin with Steve.

pedestrian?

PYM on the model that gives you the least precip

0214/2100Z  63  17006KT  24.7F  SNOW    6:1| 0.0|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.007    6:1|  0.0|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.01  100|  0|  0
150215/0000Z  66  21007KT  29.2F  SNOW   18:1| 1.8|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.100   18:1|  1.9|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.11  100|  0|  0
150215/0300Z  69  VRB01KT  24.5F  SNOW    8:1| 0.6|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.075   14:1|  2.5|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.18  100|  0|  0
150215/0600Z  72  06006KT  28.7F  SNOW   19:1| 0.8|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.039   15:1|  3.2|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.22  100|  0|  0
----------------------------------------------+----++-----+-------------++--------------++-------------++-----------+---+---
150215/0900Z  75  34013KT  16.8F  SNOW   17:1| 4.2|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.249   16:1|  7.4|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.47  100|  0|  0
150215/1200Z  78  30013KT  16.2F  SNOW   22:1| 4.7|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.216   18:1| 12.2|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.69  100|  0|  0
150215/1500Z  81  33020KT  18.8F  SNOW   20:1| 2.9|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.146   18:1| 15.0|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.83  100|  0|  0
150215/1800Z  84  32022KT  13.7F  SNOW   19:1| 1.9|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.104   18:1| 17.0|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.93  100|  0|  0
----------------------------------------------+----++-----+-------------++--------------++-------------++-----------+---+---
150215/2100Z  87  32019KT   8.5F  SNOW   15:1| 0.2|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.014   18:1| 17.2|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.95  100|  0|  0

I'd love the trajectory of the arctic wave about 200 miles further west. That would probably ensure one for the ages for NYC north to the Canadian border.

Yup. It would spread the wealth south and west, without taking anything from north and east.

Like an across the board tax-cut.

bumping this because it is a red flag.  this is the middle of the night snow probs.  Not only no 12", but very small area of 8.  Euro qpr an inch back to CON and high ratios yet no 12 inch probs anywhere, even in ME where euro is 1.4.  What are they seeing?

3 days out. You'll most likely see those go up this afternoon if the guidance continues to look like it has.

The trends at 00z are pretty neutral thus far vs 12z...maybe slightly better.

The problem this system will fight is getting the conveyors cranking efficiently. The guidance wants to disrupt it a bit on the eastern and northeastern periphery by elongating it...i.e. th einverted trough structure. This limits inflow of Atlantic moisture into SNE.

We still get some decent inflow...otherwise you wouldn't be getting warning snows on some of these runs, but it's why we aren't seeing a bunch of Euro-esque outputs. Even the Euro itself fights this problem somewhat but manages to overcome it and consolidate everything at the last minute enough fr a larger hit.

What we are looking for is a trend away from this inverted trough structure. It starts with the ULL. Keep that more consolidated and not stretched too much...this helps downstream ridging which has been an issue in this system on the models.

Will  and Scott , what things will cause a 5H to elongate, it's obviously a anomalous strength ULL, so what is the reason models have it stretched a bit passing under us? i.e What "could" lead modeling to trend it more consolidated at 12z, it's plenty strong?

I also recall a post by Scott,  in response yesterday to a "ENY" poster had a unique post with some link to a site w interactive abilities to mess around with the western ridge and scott mentioned that this illustrated  how nuances in Pac Ridge could lead to different solutions for us, I was wondering in what regard those nuances trended at 0z if at all.  Was wondering if scott could go into more detail with this meant, does this include things like getting our 5H low to dive into the Great lakes a bit further SW and then have a little more "wiggle" room, and less needing to thread the needle to crush us, I was wondering how that trended at 0z last night or if its not an issue

Will what things will cause a 5H to elongate, it's obviously a anomalous strength ULL, so what is the reason models have it stretched a bit passing under us? i.e What "could" lead modeling to trend it more consolidated at 12z, it's plenty strong?

Im going to take a stab at this. Potentially it's because the baroclinic zone is so far east?

20:1 ratios and a bombing low in GOM. Eastern areas gonna get pounded. Doesn't look impressive for other parts of NE, but holy mackerel, another coastal for Wednesday! Thank God the kids have February vacation or they'd be in double digits days off.

No Feb vacation here.  Just a 4 day weekend.  The week off was taken away years ago.

I'm about 50/50 on it...GFS is trending south...Euro might have gone a razors edge north, but we're talking such small moves on the Euro.

I really don't have a greta feel for it. The trajectory it takes through the lakes would suggest further north to me, but this vort energy is so strong that it can definitely dig a bit.

Qualitatively, this one may harken back to Jefaffa's favorite event of all-time. 

Invision similar gradient.

Will what things will cause a 5H to elongate, it's obviously a anomalous strength ULL, so what is the reason models have it stretched a bit passing under us? i.e What "could" lead modeling to trend it more consolidated at 12z, it's plenty strong?

Lack of excellent downstream ridging. Normally you have higher heights ahead of a shortwave and the resistance of those heights causes the flow to "curl" up to the north and then northwest as the very strong shortwave exerts its presence. Without it, you tend to have the flow curl more north and northeast.

We want to see those height lines rip back NW north of the H5 low which is what gives us the good inflow of moisture. The euro actually looked pretty decent on this aspect which is probably why I didn't meh the QPF output as much as others. It tilted the PVA a little differently which is a really tedious nuance that can't really be forecasted at 78-84 hours.

We will see how today does but the lack of downstream ridging is something this system has been fighting from the start.

All we are talking is subtle changes in the trajectory and orientation of the ULL and all bets are off.  We know that winds will be pretty fierce along the eastern coastline and temperatures will be frigid.  The wildcard is precip and if we can wrap this baby up soon enough to take this from a pretty solid system into something historic.

On to 12z!

I'm about 50/50 on it...GFS is trending south...Euro might have gone a razors edge north, but we're talking such small moves on the Euro.

I really don't have a greta feel for it. The trajectory it takes through the lakes would suggest further north to me, but this vort energy is so strong that it can definitely dig a bit.

Will, is there any wiggle room with the trajectory it takes through the Lakes

Yesterday Scott responded to a post w a link it it by a "ENY" poster where scott said..."you can see how messing around w nuances in the Western Ridge can effect things for us" and I hope I paraphrased that correctly. Have these nuances trended in any way at 0z last night and if the ridge nuances trended crappier is that a reason why this SW would not drop more SW into the lakes as it traversed  , or am I out to lunch

Will, is there any wiggle room with the trajectory it takes through the Lakes

Yesterday Scott responded to a post w a link it it by a "ENY" poster where scott said..."you can see how messing around w nuances in the Western Ridge can effect things for us" and I hope I paraphrased that correctly. Have these nuances trended in any way at 0z last night and if the ridge nuances trended crappier is that a reason why this SW would not drop more SW into the lakes as it traversed , or am I out to lunch

A western ridge more amped would definitely help this track further south through the lakes. Gotta watch how that trends today and tonight because there is energy that comes on shore in BC on Friday that affects the amplitude of the ridge.

A western ridge more amped would definitely help this track further south through the lakes. Gotta watch how that trends today and tonight because there is energy that comes on shore in BC on Friday that affects the amplitude of the ridge.

That is what I figured

Seems today/tonight's system has done "its job" but the western ridge trended crappier. Which initially , (yesterday)may have been good on 12z  by flattening the trough and having this cut more W-E on 12z,  but I mean we may have  needed the trends crappier to stop right there to give us any semblance of wiggle room so this doesn't cut (further NE) thru lakes and push everything "good" Ne ward from us.

Would we want that Energy "slower" or just what? to trend ridge more amped.

Archived