Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Super Snow Sunday 2/15-Party Like it's 1717

40/70 Benchmark

Who cares about HPC.

Well you know I hump them like Pavlov's dog.  Kocin not on the desk for that report, but I take them seriously - you don't?  They are one of the indicators I look at before a system.  I'm looking even closer than usual as I consider pulling the trigger on a trip home Sat afternoon.  Im going ask for some input in the banter thread.

But it was a day 2 map with fairly widespread 4+, small moderate 8+ and no 12+.  The map clearly favored ESNE and not ME!  I don't mean me, I mean ME

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well you know I hump them like Pavlov's dog. Kocin not on the desk for that report, but I take them seriously - you don't? They are one of the indicators I look at before a system. I'm looking even closer than usual as I consider pulling the trigger on a trip home Sat afternoon. Im going ask for some input in the banter thread.

But it was a day 2 map with fairly widespread 4+, small moderate 8+ and no 12+. The map clearly favored ESNE and not ME! I don't mean me, I mean ME

No, my forecasts or opinions aren't really swayed by NWS or HPC. I actually would rather interact by the mets in here like OceantSt, Ryan, Will etc....good mets who know the area and can offer the insight of a different pair of eyes. People say this field is competitive and it is, but I don't look at it as who is better than who....I value different opinions and I think it collectively adds to a better forecast. Egos will kill you.

No....the most conervative model is giving like .7" qpf fo rmy area....that is about 1' there...and it get higher up towards Newburyport. 

That the same logic upton may have used when going 24-36 in NYC blizzard , seemingly not weighting the fact the sharp cut off modeled to their SW in a anomalous set up could easily see them cut amount by 70% if things trended 50 miles East, which this one has same potential, and upton had 4 euro cycles burying them (but also with sharp cut off just SW)  Thou i know you aren't betting your life on 1-2'.

That the same logic upton may have used when going 24-36 in NYC blizzard , seemingly not weighting the fact the sharp cut off modeled to their SW in a anomalous set up could easily see them cut amount by 70% if things trended 50 miles East, which this one has same potential. Thou i know you aren't betting your life on 1-2'.

I telling you what I think will happen. 

I'm not forecasting for the largest megalopolis in the world.

If I were at BOX, I'd be going 8-14" right now.

But I think 1-2' over ne MA, from sw to ne.

No....the most conervative model is giving like .7" qpf fo rmy area....that is about 1' there...and it get higher up towards Newburyport.

Just sit and wait before you take a shot.

You had a smart answer when I said to wait for 2013 comeback, too. :lol:

It was a joke.

2' would require a bit more work. 12" would not require much and is a good look for at least Essex county.

Wish the inflow was quicker/better, it's so close to spinning up a bomb for sne, instead Maine is crushed Obv.

I still don't think the NAM has its teeth into anything at this range, but the takeaway here is actually that we're starting to see some consistency with the overall output... most of what I'm seeing from 00z into this run looks similar.

No, my forecasts or opinions aren't really swayed by NWS or HPC. I actually would rather interact by the mets in here like OceantSt, Ryan, Will etc....good mets who know the area and can offer the insight of a different pair of eyes. People say this field is competitive and it is, but I don't look at it as who is better than who....I value different opinions and I think it collectively adds to a better forecast. Egos will kill you.

Gosh I hope you didn't hear me as favoring HPC over the crew here!  I don't take anything seriously unless the mets in the NE thread do.  HPC is just a thing I look at.  I think when it comes to these storms we have the mets in the world and I am one lucky dude to be allowed to tune in.

Did I see a Euro snow map with 18+ over much of ESNE, ECNE and ENNE?  Like amounts approaching 3 feet on a 96 hour map?  It was on Joe Cioffies fb page

b_095242.jpg

This looks comical to me, to be honest. I just don't see enough support for a map like that at this stage.

But they're the paid mets in a populated market full of scrutiny, and I'm just a mild mannered reporter by day and gigolo by night.

So what do I know?

Lack of excellent downstream ridging. Normally you have higher heights ahead of a shortwave and the resistance of those heights causes the flow to "curl" up to the north and then northwest as the very strong shortwave exerts its presence. Without it, you tend to have the flow curl more north and northeast.

We want to see those height lines rip back NW north of the H5 low which is what gives us the good inflow of moisture. The euro actually looked pretty decent on this aspect which is probably why I didn't meh the QPF output as much as others. It tilted the PVA a little differently which is a really tedious nuance that can't really be forecasted at 78-84 hours.

We will see how today does but the lack of downstream ridging is something this system has been fighting from the start.

I very much agree in principle ... but this situation is unique.  Sorry if I don't have the conversational gist and am jumping in the middle.  

That trough is so absurdly deep and mechanically powerful together, that relative to the surrounding medium it kind of 'defaults' toward the set up ur saying.  As we know ... everything in the atmosphere happening in time is purely a function of conserving mass and restoring therein; so such a deep well moving through will require the same restoring as anything more modestly deep that happens to have better ridge structure in the rampart.

That's a -4 or whatever SD moving through a neutral environment ... The whole of the surrounding geopotential medium is thus more than a virtual ridge purely for slope/gradient.  

I am just stunned at the 00z Euro's delta(p) in that 24 hours between 72 and 96.  I am wondering if actual "rate" of intensity is stored in archives; would be interesting to compare against other notable rapid deepeners in the past. 

Course ...the new guidance is coming out this morning...

Archived