joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Super Snow Sunday 2/15-Party Like it's 1717

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's looking like we will need another 12 hours before we gets some model consensus. Each global still has different scenarios with track of ULL and development of surface low. Right now the only forecast with confidence is saying there is a good chance of 6" plus in Eastern New England, with possible blizzard conditions due to wind

Honestly eduggs, it looks fine for eastern SNE right now, we have room for improvement still.  We have a 492dm powderkeg running south of our region, something is gonna give.

492 doesn't do anything for me.  As far as I'm concerned, it can stay in the arctic.  You don't need a deep ULL to induce a bomb.  A modest shortwave into strong baroclinicity will do the trick.  What we could use is some Gulf moisture.  Northwesterly winds throughout the southeast is generally not what I want to see a day before a noreaster. 

15" snowpack is neat, but it's been all nickel dime out this way.

492 doesn't do anything for me.  As far as I'm concerned, it can stay in the arctic.  You don't need a deep ULL to induce a bomb.  A modest shortwave into strong baroclinicity will do the trick.  What we could use is some Gulf moisture.  Northwesterly winds throughout the southeast is generally not what I want to see a day before a noreaster. 

I bet your total snowfall for the season still beats out my 36.5" for the year, and 30.4" of that received in one storm.

I like your enthusiasm.

haha.  I'd toss the GGEM solution as that inverted trough looks too weird.  I think the EURO comes in as a decent hit.  There may be a limit to how ridiculous this can get.  The impact is huge though and just awe-inspiring even if it comes out to be a 4-8" event or something like that.  The hits just keep coming over the same areas it looks like. 

instantweathermaps.com is what I use to get the GFS and NAM quickly, and I use weatherbell(It's $20 a month, but well worth it IMO) for the other models(including the Euro) and for more detailed analysis of the GFS/NAM because their graphics are much better and you can get zoomed in views which are critical for details.

Thanks so much for these awesome links! Pretty old-school (or maybe getting pretty old?) here, used to relying on the NCEP site. So much has changed, with regards to technology, since my days of active forecasting in the early 90's.

I agree that $20 is very little investment for enhanced analysis ability.

Thanks so much for these awesome links! Pretty old-school (or maybe getting pretty old?) here, used to relying on the NCEP site. So much has changed, with regards to technology, since my days of active forecasting in the early 90's.

I agree that $20 is very little investment for enhanced analysis ability.

You're very welcome!

Also, for a free site, try http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/index.html, they have many more zoomed in views compared to the NECP site and much better graphics as well. Really the reason I pay for weatherbell is for full Euro and UKMET access, the other models are a nice perk but you can get just as good graphics elsewhere(Like at TT linked above).

Thanks so much, Ginxy! You guys are such a huge help. So many knowledgeable and thoughtful posters here! :)

It's the aforementioned reason that I don't feel the need to post much analysis myself, since the discussion here typically covers all the major analytical details, of this most fascinating and inexact science. Simply put, I thoroughly enjoy reading the various posts and the humor that accompanies so many of them!

Emergency vet visit so I'm up. Sweet MEX numbers!

Sorry to hear that, hope the little guy(or girl) is OK.

And yeah, checking them out now and they look great.

BOS is 4 Saturday and 8 Sunday

ORH is 4 and 8

BDL is 4 and 4

PWM 4 and 8

PYM 2 and 8

PVD 2 and 8

Others: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/mdl/synop/products/bullform.mex.htm, tick your station of choice and scroll down to the bottom of the page.

492 doesn't do anything for me. As far as I'm concerned, it can stay in the arctic. You don't need a deep ULL to induce a bomb. A modest shortwave into strong baroclinicity will do the trick. What we could use is some Gulf moisture. Northwesterly winds throughout the southeast is generally not what I want to see a day before a noreaster.

This is the point mostly being ignored and helps to deprive the system of some moisture for a few hours during the ramp up, as it develops moisture in the cold air it's moving by and then we rely on a system to throw moisture back. I mean I think expectations away from the coast news to be tempered and the realization that the euro may yet again have pinched this off a little early/sw are possible if not probable.

Gem is a nice hit here

ORH is 4 and 8

BDL is 4 and 4

PWM 4 and 8

PYM 2 and 8

PVD 2 and 8

Others: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/mdl/synop/products/bullform.mex.htm, tick your station of choice and scroll down to the bottom of the page.

ORH is 4 and 8

BDL is 4 and 4

PWM 4 and 8

PYM 2 and 8

PVD 2 and 8

4 and 6 in both CON and LCI

The trends at 00z are pretty neutral thus far vs 12z...maybe slightly better.

The problem this system will fight is getting the conveyors cranking efficiently. The guidance wants to disrupt it a bit on the eastern and northeastern periphery by elongating it...i.e. th einverted trough structure. This limits inflow of Atlantic moisture into SNE.

We still get some decent inflow...otherwise you wouldn't be getting warning snows on some of these runs, but it's why we aren't seeing a bunch of Euro-esque outputs. Even the Euro itself fights this problem somewhat but manages to overcome it and consolidate everything at the last minute enough fr a larger hit.

What we are looking for is a trend away from this inverted trough structure. It starts with the ULL. Keep that more consolidated and not stretched too much...this helps downstream ridging which has been an issue in this system on the models.

The problem this system will fight is getting the conveyors cranking efficiently. The guidance wants to disrupt it a bit on the eastern and northeastern periphery by elongating it...i.e. th einverted trough structure. This limits inflow of Atlantic moisture into SNE.

We still get some decent inflow...otherwise you wouldn't be getting warning snows on some of these runs, but it's why we aren't seeing a bunch of Euro-esque outputs. Even the Euro itself fights this problem somewhat but manages to overcome it and consolidate everything at the last minute enough fr a larger hit.

What we are looking for is a trend away from this inverted trough structure. It starts with the ULL. Keep that more consolidated and not stretched too much...this helps downstream ridging which has been an issue in this system on the models.

Agreed. It all just looks to come at us a bit further north than we would like and consolidates a little late. My guess is the euro was on the crack pipe again and will tend more towards elongation. But we will see

Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly... For the 1/27-28 blizzard models similarly struggled with the immense amount of vorticity swinging around the trough. Both the Euro and CMC at some point spawned multiple lows bouncing around that disjointed inflow. Ultimately this was a signal that the dominant low would form further east. I raise this because 12z and 0z CMC today again had 2 separate lows, one further northeast that is disjointing the inflow. We have a ways, wouldn't be too confident of anything beyond 96 hours.

Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly... For the 1/27-28 blizzard models similarly struggled with the immense amount of vorticity swinging around the trough. Both the Euro and CMC at some point spawned multiple lows bouncing around that disjointed inflow. Ultimately this was a signal that the dominant low would form further east. I raise this because 12z and 0z CMC today again had 2 separate lows, one further northeast that is disjointing the inflow. We have a ways, wouldn't be too confident of anything beyond 96 hours.

That pretty much sums it up. It was that wobble of the outer low around the extension that shafted jersey. Most models non euro have a similar deal this time to one extent or the other.

Archived