• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Mid FEB through March Threats/Snow Storms

mitchnick

This is not a good trend, IMO. I too tend to think that the 18z runs are sometimes outliers in their own right but that's hardly scientific. My guess is that the 0z runs tonight will tell the story for this storm for us. We won't have to sweat it out all weekend (unless we see marked improvement tonight).

Would a 2-3" storm with cold temps be that bad? I think we all got our expectations up, but a nice couple inches of powder is nicer than a few inches of slop followed by a driving rain.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would a 2-3" storm with cold temps be that bad? I think we all got our expectations up, but a nice couple inches of powder is nicer than a few inches of slop followed by a driving rain.

A few inches would be fantastic but the trend has been farther east and less amplification. In the early snowy runs we were getting the "front end thump" coming from the south west with a somewhat wound up, wet storm, and the latest run of the GFS has us relying on a coastal that has been pushed off the coast. Somewhat simple in the explanation but the trend has been ongoing for the past 24 hours.

No it would be great. But with a trend like this...meaning several ticks SE over the last 6 runs...most of us fear it just heads further SE until it's only BOS that gets hit..which I am confident is more a possibly at this point...but what the heck we are powerless either way so might as well let it roll...and pick up some more vodka

I'm not overly concerned with a suppressed track at this point.  Seasonal trend, FWIW, is certainly to move things N/W with time.  I still think a OH Valley track is well in-play with a thump to mix/drizzle.

I would take that in a heart beat at this point. Maybe not OH valley. Do you think that is in play because no blocking or because of the seasonal trend?

I'm not overly concerned with a suppressed track at this point. Seasonal trend, FWIW, is certainly to move things N/W with time. I still think a OH Valley track is well in-play with a thump to mix/drizzle.

I'd be pretty surprised if it went back to a west track.

I would take that in a heart beat at this point. Maybe not OH valley. Do you think that is in play because no blocking or because of the seasonal trend?

I'd be pretty surprised if it went back to a west track.

Mostly because of no blocking. We have strong confluence forecast at the moment which is forcing the track to the south, but that confluence is based on the joint positions of multiple northern stream s/w's being in particular positions at a certain time.  Lots of moving parts. 

18Z GFS is not 2-3 for anyone north and west of the cities. Like I said last week. A suppressed storm would be the perfect end to this winter. 

Here's the last 4 18z GFS runs.  You can see how the confluence changes based on the position of the northern stream s/w's and how far they dig.  The track of the storm is very sensitive to that confluence.  I don't really trust that the 18z GFS has those positions perfectly right at 4.5-5 days out.  I think anything between a OH Valley/Apps track to a suppressed slider is still within the realm of possibilities.  What probably can be ruled out at this stage is a big cutter towards Chicago/Cleveland/Detroit and something sliding off the coast of Wilmington, NC. 

post-51-0-62110000-1423785029_thumb.png

post-51-0-76571300-1423785039_thumb.png

post-51-0-66180400-1423785049_thumb.png

post-51-0-21388500-1423785060_thumb.png

Mostly because of no blocking. We have strong confluence forecast at the moment which is forcing the track to the south, but that confluence is based on the joint positions of multiple northern stream s/w's being in particular positions at a certain time. Lots of moving parts.

It's definitely not impossible and I would be less surprised to see it come back north or run over us. Further west than that I dunno. Not sure that was ever the best answer with this one to begin with.

We do relatively frequently see confluence end up not as strong as shown from range.

With that northern wave digging it seems unlikely it would come too far north/west unless there's a full early phase which I wouldnt expect for now.

Problem with midday runs is they may have just been the sweet spot during the ultimate transition to something else.

There is a lot of time tho..

Here's the last 4 18z GFS runs.  You can see how the confluence changes based on the position of the northern stream s/w's and how far they dig.  The track of the storm is very sensitive to that confluence.  I don't really trust that the 18z GFS has those positions perfectly right at 4.5-5 days out.  I think anything between a OH Valley/Apps track to a suppressed slider is still within the realm of possibilities.  What probably can be ruled out at this stage is a big cutter towards Chicago/Cleveland/Detroit and something sliding off the coast of Wilmington, NC. 

attachicon.gifgfs_z500_mslp_us_31.png

attachicon.gifgfs_z500_mslp_us_27.png

attachicon.gifgfs_z500_mslp_us_23.png

attachicon.gifgfs_z500_mslp_us_19.png

I'm with ya' 100% and believe there will be some (and hopefully not all) of us sweating a northwest trend before start time.

Both suppressed and west are still a threat. Obviously given current trends suppressed is right now the fear but if this started to amplify more it could end up trending right back. That's the problem with the nao and AO being so hostile. Since we can't rely on a high locked in we can't have an amped up storm or unless it's timed perfect it cuts. But to get it to stay under us we rely on the trough being progressive. But a progressive storm in flat flow could easily slide south of us. We are relying on getting perfect timing or luck. Weeks ago when I said this epo Pna look was good the guidance mostly showed a neutral to slightly pos nao. There is a huge difference between that and a +3. I wasn't expecting the nao to be this hostile again. The great PAC pattern at least gives us a shot but the crappy atl makes it a long shot.

It's definitely not impossible and I would be less surprised to see it come back north or run over us. Further west than that I dunno. Not sure that was ever the best answer with this one to begin with.

We do relatively frequently see confluence end up not as strong as shown from range.

With that northern wave digging it seems unlikely it would come too far north/west unless there's a full early phase which I wouldnt expect for now.

Problem with midday runs is they may have just been the sweet spot during the ultimate transition to something else.

I sort of feel the western edge of the "realm of possible tracks" is probably something on a Nashville-Pittsburgh line and then probably fairly due east afterwards.  Eastern edge is probably something that slides due east off the coast near Hatteras.  That's probably about 500mi difference?  Which is pretty typical for a 5 day lead.  Just look at how much the low position jumped between yesterday and today's 18z GFS runs.  Over Dallas to SE of New Orleans. 

We're getting into that range where the important things early on in runs can only tick a little each run. I remember watching heights tick just a little higher each run when we tracked the disaster across the midwest.

I like toggling h5 vort panels from around 72 hours+ against the previous run. I've seen confluence relax at d3-4+ leads much more often than get stronger this year. Part of me wants to believe the 18z gfs was the limit. The other part of me thinks this is a NADS situation.

18z gefs really only had 4-5 east tracks that are worrisome. We'll see how things trend.

Lol I used to have that mindset years ago when I was a hill folk. Just a place to drive through to get to the beach. Nice being an hour from Rehoboth with zero traffic issues now though. Can be to BWI in an hour or less. Plus I am far enough north I get decent snow. Plus its quiet.

I like the flat farmscapes of the eastern shore and Delaware.  I find it very picturesque.   Looks like good thunderstorm watching country too.

LOL, If this turns out true hopefully JB2's followers will finally realize he is not "the best met in the country" as they think he is.  He screams about how he never hypes a storm several days in advance because he never trusts the models. Then today he just hyped this thing saying that snow lovers will be thrilled with what information he has for them. Figure at least if we have to suffer through this horrible winter we can enjoy the show of him spinning and claiming he never hyped this storm as he always does. Looks like more and more of his followers are starting to catch on that he's like a carnival barker "come see the great big it, it's right inside this tent, pay me so I can tell you about the it" LOL

I like the flat farmscapes of the eastern shore and Delaware.  I find it very picturesque.   Looks like good thunderstorm watching country too.

Yeah its a different kind of beauty I suppose. Lots of wide open farmland. Plus after living here a while its fairly easy to distinguish subtleties in the landscape between the super flat lower shore and the upper shore where it slopes and rolls gently. Lots of nice quaint towns. Everyone seems to love St Michaels but Easton is a better place to hang IMO, with some great places to eat as well, and I really like Chestertown a lot.

LOL, If this turns out true hopefully JB2's followers will finally realize he is not "the best met in the country" as they think he is.  He screams about how he never hypes a storm several days in advance because he never trusts the models. Then today he just hyped this thing saying that snow lovers will be thrilled with what information he has for them. Figure at least if we have to suffer through this horrible winter we can enjoy the show of him spinning and claiming he never hyped this storm as he always does. Looks like more and more of his followers are starting to catch on that he's like a carnival barker "come see the great big it, it's right inside this tent, pay me so I can tell you about the it" LOL

Lots of people were thrilled earlier today, including me. Why are you being a hater?

Lots of people were thrilled earlier today, including me. Why are you being a hater?

Still chance it works out, but just think it's funny that he tells everyone how he never trusts models more than 48 hours in advance, but then hypes storms just like everyone else or even more :).  He reminds me of a politician. I've seen a few call him out on it before, but then of course his followers, who some admit they can't find their town on a map follow him blindly.

Archived