joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid FEB through March Threats/Snow Storms

mitchnick

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have liked this storm, and so stated, ever since saw that it's origins were in area of TX/LA gulf region. Good things for DC come from there. But, let us remember that no matter how cold it is around here we can still miss the snow. A low in the lakes plus a low to our west would be able to overcome the preexisting very cold temps. 1994 was low 20's at onset and not one flake of snow, all sleet.

at this point..more worried about supression(UKMET) than too north?

The problem is, regardless of how good the runs today are, this will require some luck because both a NW track and suppression are a threat due to the ridiculously positive AO/NAO.   Highs are going to be transient and kick out of the way with no resistance.  So we are relying on the progressive northern branch to force this east.  If it doesn't this could still cut.  If it does it could also push the whole thing east of us.  On the positive side the cold air in front at least gives us a shot, its just not the high probability scenario I would like if we could ever get a less hostile NAO/AO combo. 

ETA:  As wavelengths shorten if the EPO/PNA were to remain as they are now, and the AO/NAO, it would open the door to some kind of crazy full latitude trough/storm like 1993.  Thats actually how you get that type of setup, thats why 93 keeps showing up in analogs.  Less likely in a -NAO but of course there is no guarantee such a storm wouldnt cut on us or be an apps runner. 

EETA:  before the bombardment starts I am NOT predicting another superstorm, just saying the possibility of a deep trough and associated bombing storm is there in such a pattern. 

Archived