Newest Member
    joxey
Mid FEB through March Threats/Snow Storms

mitchnick

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6z gfs cold but awful run. Dry

It is like an inch of qpf for all of central MD... I guess it is a little drier for the initial thump... But it ain't dry. Anyway... I just compared the last five runs of the gfs... In the 120 hour time frame (what I use as a bench mark for when the globals start to zero in on a solution) The low pressure track has gone from st Louis to corpus cristi. Yesterday was by far the most favorable trend we have seen all year.

I normally don't post these, esp at this lead time as they are fairly useless, so forgive me lol. But that is a really wonky looking snowfall map. Can only assume a large portion of that SE of I-95 would be sleet. Unless the run had some sort of a trailing wave after 850s cooled.

attachicon.gifeuro.jpg

Uhh...wow...Maine

It is like an inch of qpf for all of central MD... I guess it is a little drier for the initial thump... But it ain't dry. Anyway... I just compared the last five runs of the gfs... In the 120 hour time frame (what I use as a bench mark for when the globals start to zero in on a solution) The low pressure track has gone from st Louis to corpus cristi. Yesterday was by far the most favorable trend we have seen all year.

Yeah definite improvement in the track over the last day in the guidance. Still, the overall set up is not great, so even a "good" storm track likely will produce a mix or even plain rain at some point for the coastal plain. I would prefer a somewhat weaker, flatter solution over something amped up. 

Yeah definite improvement in the track over the last day in the guidance. Still, the overall set up is not great, so even a "good" storm track likely will produce a mix or even plain rain at some point for the coastal plain. I would prefer a somewhat weaker, flatter solution over something amped up. 

perhaps but comparing just the op panels for 0z and 6z I like 6z...it may be drier but colder...notice how 2m temps hr 135 on 6z wedge down further...0z 2m temps creeping up to S-central VA....would rather all frozen event and I think w of I95 might have a shot at that with 6z...but we are 5 days out and south trend is nice however don't want it too far. Never easy but always fun to track

Yeah definite improvement in the track over the last day in the guidance. Still, the overall set up is not great, so even a "good" storm track likely will produce a mix or even plain rain at some point for the coastal plain. I would prefer a somewhat weaker, flatter solution over something amped up

cape i will be happy with half of those totals

If we just had a little blocking to slow down Next weeks storm it would really be something on the 6Z GFS. As modeled its about .65 out here all frozen. Around 5 inches of snow that quickly turns to concrete. It's just moving to fast to be a big storm. But I would take it as modeled in a heartbeat.

If anyone cares about the rest of the cobb numbers:

DCA 2.3

IAD  3.2

BWI 3.2

cape i will be happy with half of those totals

I just want a low end warning criteria event that doesn't flip to rain and turn to slop. So I am with ya. Lots of moving parts this far out but never good to see low pressure to the north and high pressure sliding off the coast to our east. Places NW would have the best shot at a mainly snow event given the set up.

I just want a low end warning criteria event that doesn't flip to rain and turn to slop. So I am with ya. Lots of moving parts this far out but never good to see low pressure to the north and high pressure sliding off the coast to our east. Places NW would have the best shot at a mainly snow event given the set up.

I think it's pretty clear this is going to be a tainted event as there won't be a miracle block forming, or a High pressure showing up to our north.  The low to the north and High out at sea aren't likely to change.  So we need to accept we are dealing with a needle thread scenario here.  The question really is how long can the cold air hold without a surface high to the north, and where does the surface low track.  The next several days we'll probably see a variety of tainted event scenarios painted on the models, some with mostly snow, some with mostly sleet/frz rain, but precip type with this one is going to really drive the impact, and that may not be clear until we are inside 48 or even 24 hours. 

FWIW, the 6Z GFS sounding At DCA looked like snow at 138 hours, but at 144 hours the cold surface was extremely shallow, and there was a very thick layer of very warm air above.  It's going to be tough to keep the surface below 32 with that very thick warm layer above.  This isn't just a thin layer warm nose the GFS is showing at 144 hours.  I do still see some room for improvement, but I'm also seeing the typical redflags at this lead for debacle.  Expectations should be set appropriately given the medium range flaws of the models this year.

I sincerely hope you guys get smoked down there next week. I'm pushing some of our good juju your way. Just keep the rain out of Boston. That would spell capital T trouble; all the storm drains are completely clogged with snow.

As an aside, my God at the Euro snow output. That's 100"+ in 30 days if that happened. How many standard deviations that must be from the mean… All the best for a white future down there.

Would go with GFS/Euro for now. We can't hope on HP to save the day if the Low runs up the Apps. So we got to hope for a good LP track and hope that the Cold air holds as modeled, which has been hard to do w/o HP/wedge. Could easily see this trend north on a dime. If we have solutions like this at 0z Monday and temps Sunday/Sunday Night verify. We got a good chance and could hoist Winter Storm Watches. Way too far out to get exited. But very much able to track.

I know... at any rate, we have gotten lucky with a needle threaded in the past.... If this thing shifts another 50 miles SE... people are gonna go Ape-Sh$t around here. 

good ideas agree with you. 

All of this for a storm that is  5 days away.  This winter has taken a real toll on people.  Every storm has went north of us starting around 5 day mark.  Can we buck the trend?

can you buck unexpected high pressure to our south, its amazing how that "high" was never seen or projected in the winter outlooks, other features that were expected never show or are late!!

Archived