Snowathon Obs/ Nowcast 02/07-02/09

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FITCHBURG              7.1   542 PM  2/08  TRAINED SPOTTER
LEOMINSTER             7.0   545 PM  2/08  TRAINED SPOTTER
LUNENBURG              7.0   551 PM  2/08  TRAINED SPOTTER

lol..funny they all report with 10 minutes of each other and always have the highest amounts of anyone in the area. Exact same thing as in 2/2.

LUNENBURG             24.1   530 PM  2/02  TRAINED SPOTTER
WESTMINSTER           23.1   541 PM  2/02  TRAINED SPOTTER
LEOMINSTER            20.7   517 PM  2/02  TRAINED SPOTTER

FITCHBURG              7.1   542 PM  2/08  TRAINED SPOTTER

LEOMINSTER             7.0   545 PM  2/08  TRAINED SPOTTER

LUNENBURG              7.0   551 PM  2/08  TRAINED SPOTTER

lol..funny they all report with 10 minutes of each other and always have the highest amounts of anyone in the area. Exact same thing as in 2/2.

LUNENBURG             24.1   530 PM  2/02  TRAINED SPOTTER

WESTMINSTER           23.1   541 PM  2/02  TRAINED SPOTTER

LEOMINSTER            20.7   517 PM  2/02  TRAINED SPOTTER

Today's totals probably aren't too crazy....they are within an inch or so of the updates for the rest of the region and they do tend to do a bit better up there. Would be interesting to see what comes in from, say, Gardner

Posted this is the other storm thread.

You have the real cold boundary in blue, as you say tucking east through Plymouth Co. The original boundary 1 Scott talked about sort of washing out to the east of that (notice the distance between the two has really shrunk). And there is a third boundary if you loop base velocity that is moving fairly quickly westward over the waters.

post-44-0-94426200-1423445116_thumb.png

Here's my Report.  

West Roxbury where I stayed last night had a Storm Total of 6" at Noon and was snowing then.  Milton, where my concert was, had moderate snow All day under an OES band, really hurt my attendance but the concert went over great and I was SO inspired by what I saw outside the giant windows.  Even sang about it by changing the words in Cheek to Cheek and I really don't sing haha.  There was 7" Compact Total in Milton at 6pm so Storm total now must be at 8.5" as it was snowing hard when I left.  

Now - ALERT - The Roads from Milton to 128 to 95 down to RI were AS BAD as the January 2014 0*F Blizzard and Dec. 13th, 2007 which are the Worst conditions I've ever seen on the highway.  I called the NWS on it to report it.  

Back home in North Cumberland, and the compact total is 4.25", Storm Total at 5" and snowing nicely.  Into Hour 35.  

depth at the stake? Non season long melt ftw

76"....I've got 36" at the base. The last thaw was the Grinch storm just before Xmas, and that was really the only thaw all year long because we managed paste type snow during those other rainers elsewhere. It's not so much even the depth (though it's 18" above long term normal at the coop), it's the quality of the pack. This is pure western style snowpack where if you get enough currier and Ives snow it does actually add up significantly.

Posted this is the other storm thread.

You have the real cold boundary in blue, as you say tucking east through Plymouth Co. The original boundary 1 Scott talked about sort of washing out to the east of that (notice the distance between the two has really shrunk). And there is a third boundary if you loop base velocity that is moving fairly quickly westward over the waters.

attachicon.giftbos1.png

Ocean st wx, is the Red line (which is heading west)  going to over take the orange (diffuse line/front) and pretty much tighten up the gradient in your opinion, or do you anticipate blue line moving westward with it eventually.

Also I would assume if this gradient tightens we may actually see some nice CF enhancement bands

I think in the end, this one will be very reminiscent of the Boxing day event.

Good call there. Snow growth and banding are fickle.

I'm way less worked up than Boxing Day storm because there is already decent snow cover out here and my expectations are lower.

Snow growth sucks here right now but it's coming down and the density will make it a pain to deal with tomorrow.

Nice night, might have to go play while wife watches the Downton Abbey.

Archived