• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snowathon Obs/ Nowcast 02/07-02/09

40/70 Benchmark

last few frames radar turned to doggy doo (aside from Pym coast and S shore into Quincy)  but we have some new echoes entering CT , this time from the SW....hmmm wonder if this can amount to squat.

Watching CF like a hawk.... green echoes are building  up thru "da hahba"  now and are very close to makin it on the beaches in se Essex county

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok cool so 4.1" before the clear for total. That's pretty decent. Rap had qpf of 0.73" from 23z to 17z for us so I'm hoping for at least 6 more inches by 17z on top of the 4.1".

Ok, it's pinging outside. Didn't expect that. Prob just poor snow growth so snow pellets but wind blowing it against the window

Cliff jumpers galore. It's going to snow off and on for the next 24-30 hours and varying intensities. Do the math.

Yeah the radar looks almost exactly how i thought it would...pulses of steadier snow with some holes in it...it will get some enhancement in E MA every time those pulses move over....you don't snow for 60 hours and get 15" with hours of heavy snow....otherwise we'd be talking 4-5 feet of snow :lol:

Feb8_10pm_Radar.gif

Here's a report from South Boston:

Took the bus home around 45 minutes ago from South End. Snow was terrible until shortly after 7pm. It has been snowing moderately since then with at least an inch during that time. Temperature is 13*. All the roads are snowcovered, even with numerous plows on the road, including big pieces trying to widen main arteries with no cars parked on them. What has surprised me most (besides how cold it is) has been the wind, as it has become quite breezy, with notable blowing and drifting of snow. I can't see the Pru and Hancock from South Boston as usual, so visibility is about a half mile or less.

Yeah will, this is playing out pretty much as I expected, minus the colder trends. I've been eyeing after midnight into the morning as the best accumulating snow period.

What is curious is watching the HRRR cut back every run.  Can't figure out if it's just delaying or a real shift.

(0z was dropping 3-4, maybe 5" over Cape Anne next several hours, new is only 2-3" next 5 to 6 hours total.

No doubt past midnight to noon is the best time to book.

Best lift is probably between 09z and 15z...that's when I'd expect to see a few bursts of heavier snow embedded in the SN- party. Some mid-level lift will add a steroid-boost to the low level stuff which has been the primary factor.

But nobody shoul dbe expecting hours of SN+...not ever really on the table in this event

Yeah the radar looks almost exactly how i thought it would...pulses of steadier snow with some holes in it...it will get some enhancement in E MA every time those pulses move over....you don't snow for 60 hours and get 15" with hours of heavy snow....otherwise we'd be talking 4-5 feet of snow :lol:

Feb8_10pm_Radar.gif

Geez look at meso north of Cleveland

What is curious is watching the HRRR cut back every run.  Can't figure out if it's just delaying or a real shift.

(0z was dropping 3-4, maybe 5" over Cape Anne next several hours, new is only 2-3" next 5 to 6 hours total.

That's funny - I thought the last two runs of the HRRR have looked snowier than the previous runs.  Then again, I'm looking at my area near the bay in RI, rather than up towards Cape Ann.  Perhaps with the colder solution the heavier totals might end up a little farther south...

Archived