joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter Thread - Part 2

IsentropicLift

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

honestly I'd rather have winter all year around. Just not too terribly cold! Can't stand rain or humid weather. There's something about snow I don't even know myself why I like it so much but ever since I was a kid I was hooked. Sometimes I would cut class to go to the library to go check the weather forecasts. Heck there were mini snow events id pretend I'm sick and once my parents went to work I'd go out wondering everywhere. Yes there were times I pulled up the bible and prayed all night for snow. Once I remember I got one when I lived in Europe. So I love summers too but 69 degrees or more exhausts my body too much. Lol 201b4244d11b3ee2599232626d2436e4.jpg

Are we ever going to see this again? And actually come to fruition! Probably it seems that global warming is either making all the weather more extreme or the government fixed the warming by using a secret scientific formula that would have only been experimented in the North America region, the last two years...

P.s. I've been 5 posted so I'll be back tomorrow I have 3 left

Sent from my iPhone

You used one of your 5 posts to talk about HAARP and the blizzard fail?  :axe:

I hear you someweathergeek. Your childhood snow experience was very similar to mine. I actually built a 15 foot x 6 foot packed snowwall behind my house in the best spot where there was the most shade possible. I wanted the snow to last as long as possible. Me and my neighbor friends had that snow sticking around until April 20th some seasons. Snow meant no school, and all day playing. It was the greatest of times. It's now like Pavlovs dogs. Even if I don't have anything to do with the snow...just hearing it's coming or may come is awfully exciting 

I think, in a way, we all sort of want the same thing but the interpretation is getting lost. I think 90% of us would gladly sign up for another 2 weeks or so of cold along with a decent snowstorm (or two), followed by a flip to a warmer pattern. It's the small percentage of people that punted winter completely in the past few days that are skewing the perception. 

Agreed ...would  sign up for MORE COLD with at least  (2) more 6+ events....BUT..cold and DRY ehh...gets boring..

I think, in a way, we all sort of want the same thing but the interpretation is getting lost. I think 90% of us would gladly sign up for another 2 weeks or so of cold along with a decent snowstorm (or two), followed by a flip to a warmer pattern. It's the small percentage of people that punted winter completely in the past few days that are skewing the perception. 

If we could get a nice 24" storm in here over the next couple weeks, and I got a couple snow days etc, I would take that in a second.  However, that doesn't seem to be in the cards, and it really hasn't been all season in this area.  The cold is getting old.  For those of us that have to walk / take public transportation to get around for everything, it's getting old.

Peoples mindset changes around this time and especially once we hit March.

The rise in climo, the higher sun angle, and the inevitable sprint towards spring makes people forget about wintry weather.

Oh and let's not forget the Morch bias that exists here as well even though I believe the snowfall average is similar to December or at least was.

honestly I'd rather have winter all year around. Just not too terribly cold! Can't stand rain or humid weather. There's something about snow I don't even know myself why I like it so much but ever since I was a kid I was hooked. Sometimes I would cut class to go to the library to go check the weather forecasts. Heck there were mini snow events id pretend I'm sick and once my parents went to work I'd go out wondering everywhere. Yes there were times I pulled up the bible and prayed all night for snow. Once I remember I got one when I lived in Europe. So I love summers too but 69 degrees or more exhausts my body too much. Lol

Are we ever going to see this again? And actually come to fruition! Probably it seems that global warming is either making all the weather more extreme or the government fixed the warming by using a secret scientific formula that would have only been experimented in the North America region, the last two years...

Sent from my iPhone

Ok Tony.. See ya tomorrow.

Very strong ice storm signal for NYC, LI and southern New England on the 00Z ECMWF with damming high and warm 850 to 925 mb layers, Surface looks like 29-31 degrees, so something to monitor I think. Middle of next week! I think we don't see above freezing until mid March looking at the models and pattern. Maybe less frigid, but still very cold for 2 1/2 to 3 weeks.

http://old.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/d/charts/medium/deterministic/msl_uv850_z500!Wind%20850%20and%20mslp!192!North%20America!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2015022400!!/

Sent from my iPhone

That must be it!

Very strong ice storm signal for NYC, LI and southern New England on the 00Z ECMWF with damming high and warm 850 to 925 mb layers, Surface looks like 29-31 degrees, so something to monitor I think. Middle of next week! I think we don't see above freezing until mid March looking at the models and pattern. Maybe less frigid, but still very cold for 2 1/2 to 3 weeks.

http://old.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/d/charts/medium/deterministic/msl_uv850_z500!Wind%20850%20and%20mslp!192!North%20America!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2015022400!!/

We'll break freezing this week brah.

This is one of the more impressive Winters that I can remember in the cold department. I can't recall another Winter where my temperature so frequently has dropped below zero. Last night was already the fourth or fifth time this season. My average is around once or twice. Some Winters we never go below zero.

With that being said, the extended brutal cold really serves no purpose. Not unless you enjoy dry, cracked hands and bone chilling cold that rips through your body on the windy days.

At this point the sun angle by itself is enough to melt the snowpack, even with temps not cracking 20F.

I think if we had not had what many regard as a good winter snow wise people might feel differently but I've gotten my fill of snow and I'm ready to start moving towards Spring.

Like Pazzo said, if we could pull out a KU, I think most people would be happy for that, but I have 37.0" of snow over 13 events of more than a trace. That's not even 3" per event on average. I could personally go without anymore nickel or dime events.

No weather "serves a purpose". No extreme or anomalous weather, anyway.

The general public feel the same way about snow. They might say, "snow is useless unless you enjoy broken backs and dented fenders".

You can't have an outstanding winter without cold air. Embrace it.

I despise cold weather, if we could have 70's all Winter long with the occasional snow storm mixed in I would be very happy.

I despise cold weather, if we could have 70's all Winter long with the occasional snow storm mixed in I would be very happy.

That would be excellent.

I don't understand the obsession with pack retention. You know what that does for me? Floods my basement.

I don't get it either. Who really enjoys the sight of filthy black/gray snow? I don't mind snow when it melts, but I'm not used to this snowpack thing.

As a new homeowner of an old farm house, that I have thankfully insulated to the best of my ability, the cold is hitting the cash reserves more than I anticipated in November. However, I truly enjoy the cold and the records that are being smashed. This pattern might not happen again in the near future; then again, I thought last winter was quite cold. With the AMO anticipated to flip negative, and the latest sunspot cycle a bit weaker than expected, maybe we are in for a good 10 years of cold and snowy winters. Time will tell.  

Archived