joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter Thread - Part 2

IsentropicLift

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I looked at the GFS and GEFS through their entire runs and they keep it frigid through 3/7-3/10. Don't think our next 32 degree crack is due to us around the ides of March.  The EPO will keep it frigid through mid-March.  I like the depiction of early next week major snow fall to moderate ice storm on the 6Z GFS, looks about right too.  Don't buy the warm cutter one bit on the Euro, we know that is 100% wrong in the pattern.  My take on 2/23-3/15: 18 inches of snow, and only one day above freezing for the high.  I am 65-70 % confident of this verifying, and let's see how I do once it is 3/15/2015.  I bet some of you agree that this could be right too.

Its been awhile since I can recall this area with such sustained snow depth for what is now 31 straight days...I mean at least a foot most of the time. What you wrote over a month ago was not far off. Plus the CPC did have it well below normal temperature wise and well above precip wise the next 14 days...which is practically a guarantee for more snow. 

Its been awhile since I can recall this area with such sustained snow depth for what is now 31 straight days...I mean at least a foot most of the time. What you wrote over a month ago was not far off. Plus the CPC did have it well below normal temperature wise and well above precip wise the next 14 days...which is practically a guarantee for more snow. 

There have been over 800 months of temperature readings taken out at Upton since they started keeping records during the 1940's; February 2015 is the coldest of them all.

I've come to the conclusion that people who constantly change their minds about whether they want instant spring or prolonged winter are the biggest weenies of them all...

Epic cold, possibly the likes of which will be unmatched for some of us, and all we've been hearing is incessant talk about a warm-up, a pattern change, and that winter is over. Anyone who posted such should not be able to post about a snowstorm until next winter. I think that's fair retribution. 

Epic cold, possibly the likes of which will be unmatched for some of us, and all we've been hearing is incessant talk about a warm-up, a pattern change, and that winter is over. Anyone who posted such should not be able to post about a snowstorm until next winter. I think that's fair retribution. 

best part is so many people HOPING for a warmup. I also like the spring, but what do I want a February 23rd early spring for? Days in the upper 40's and low 50s here and there? I'd rather get as much winter as we can ( while it's still winter) , and let spring start in earnest in springtime. March 20th and onward....not Feb 23rd. I was under the impression people in here wanted snowstorms.

best part is so many people HOPING for a warmup. I also like the spring, but what do I want a February 23rd early spring for? Days in the upper 40's and low 50s here and there? I'd rather get as much winter as we can ( while it's still winter) , and let spring start in earnest in springtime. March 20th and onward....not Feb 23rd. I was under the impression people in here wanted snowstorms.

I can understand looking forward to a change of pace. I mean, we live in the mid-latitudes, not the arctic: we can only expect so much tolerance of the brutal cold. I happen to enjoy wintry weather and temperatures, but at 40N you learn to only impose your preferences when it's seasonably appropriate!

Still... it boggles the mind to think that there are meteorology enthusiasts who would renounce some of the most extreme temp anomalies in recorded local history to bask in the glory of 41F overcast.

I can understand looking forward to a change of pace. I mean, we live in the mid-latitudes, not the arctic: we can only expect so much tolerance of the brutal cold. I happen to enjoy wintry weather and temperatures, but at 40N you learn to only impose your preferences when it's seasonably appropriate!

Still... it boggles the mind to think that there are meteorology enthusiasts who would renounce some of the most extreme temp anomalies in recorded local history to bask in the glory of 41F overcast.

ya....that's the thing. There isn't going to be any kind of enjoyable spring this time of year. The way I see it is that we have 2.5 months of good opportunity at our latitude. December 20th or so, until about March 10th. Good storms before or after those dates are generally an anomaly...but I'll be damn if I'm rooting for spring at anytime inside of those dates.

Some people actually enjoy being outside when it's warm out.

Is upper 40's or low 50's warm though? Because that's all we would generally get in late February. I'll take my cold and snow while I can get it, and hope for warmth in the springtime....when it's 60+ and actually enjoyable. 

its winter still, and if it's going to be cold at least, there'll be chances of snow. I'd rather it be cold and dry than hot and humid and 99.9 degrees with a few point of 72. Come on stop complaining, this is our hobby and you know you love winter. I'll be pissed if we get backdoor cold fronts in late April and May! Otherwise bring me a cold and snowy March and I'll be happy!

I was born for this sh*t

its winter still, and if it's going to be cold at least, there'll be chances of snow. I'd rather it be cold and dry than hot and humid and 99.9 degrees with a few point of 72. Come on stop complaining, this is our hobby and you know you love winter. I'll be pissed if we get backdoor cold fronts in late April and May! Otherwise bring me a cold and snowy March and I'll be happy!

I was born for this sh*t

We are in the minority. Seems a lot of people in here are dying for 48 degrees and raw. I just don't get it. Springs great....but I do not want it now.

Is upper 40's or low 50's warm though? Because that's all we would generally get in late February. I'll take my cold and snow while I can get it, and hope for warmth in the springtime....when it's 60+ and actually enjoyable. 

50s are quite pleasant.  You can easily get 60s in early March as well.  A lot of us are done with cold/snow.  We really haven't had all that much snow, and for some reason day after day after day of highs in the 10s/20s and lows in the single digits is getting old.  Shocking, I know.

50s are quite pleasant.  You can easily get 60s in early March as well.  A lot of us are done with cold/snow.  We really haven't had all that much snow, and for some reason day after day after day of highs in the 10s/20s and lows in the single digits is getting old.  Shocking, I know.

Everyone is above average so yes, people have gotten a lot of snow.

We are in the minority. Seems a lot of people in here are dying for 48 degrees and raw. I just don't get it. Springs great....but I do not want it now.

honestly I'd rather have winter all year around. Just not too terribly cold! Can't stand rain or humid weather. There's something about snow I don't even know myself why I like it so much but ever since I was a kid I was hooked. Sometimes I would cut class to go to the library to go check the weather forecasts. Heck there were mini snow events id pretend I'm sick and once my parents went to work I'd go out wondering everywhere. Yes there were times I pulled up the bible and prayed all night for snow. Once I remember I got one when I lived in Europe. So I love summers too but 69 degrees or more exhausts my body too much. Lol 201b4244d11b3ee2599232626d2436e4.jpg

Are we ever going to see this again? And actually come to fruition! Probably it seems that global warming is either making all the weather more extreme or the government fixed the warming by using a secret scientific formula that would have only been experimented in the North America region, the last two years...

P.s. I've been 5 posted so I'll be back tomorrow I have 3 left

Sent from my iPhone

I think, in a way, we all sort of want the same thing but the interpretation is getting lost. I think 90% of us would gladly sign up for another 2 weeks or so of cold along with a decent snowstorm (or two), followed by a flip to a warmer pattern. It's the small percentage of people that punted winter completely in the past few days that are skewing the perception. 

Archived