joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter Thread - Part 2

IsentropicLift

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We snow lovers only get Nov-March, and the prospects of winter weather in November and March are limited. So I root for winter until late March. I don't mind spring - it's summer that bothers me with the heat - but the short winter season understandably is why snow lovers don't want spring quickly.

This is a very interesting paper. 

http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2015/150224/ncomms7346/full/ncomms7346.html

An extreme event of sea-level rise along the Northeast coast of North America in 2009–2010

• The coastal sea levels along the Northeast Coast of North America show significant year-to-year fluctuations in a general upward trend. The analysis of long-term tide gauge records identified an extreme sea-level rise (SLR) event during 2009–10. Within this 2-year period, the coastal sea level north of New York City jumped by 128 mm. This magnitude of interannual SLR is unprecedented (a 1-in-850 year event) during the entire history of the tide gauge records. Here we show that this extreme SLR event is a combined effect of two factors: an observed 30% downturn of the Atlantic meridional overturning circulation during 2009–10, and a significant negative North Atlantic Oscillation index. The extreme nature of the 2009–10 SLR event suggests that such a significant downturn of the Atlantic overturning circulation is very unusual. During the twenty-first century, climate models project an increase in magnitude and frequency of extreme interannual SLR events along this densely populated coast.

This is a very interesting paper.

http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2015/150224/ncomms7346/full/ncomms7346.html

An extreme event of sea-level rise along the Northeast coast of North America in 2009–2010

• The coastal sea levels along the Northeast Coast of North America show significant year-to-year fluctuations in a general upward trend. The analysis of long-term tide gauge records identified an extreme sea-level rise (SLR) event during 2009–10. Within this 2-year period, the coastal sea level north of New York City jumped by 128 mm. This magnitude of interannual SLR is unprecedented (a 1-in-850 year event) during the entire history of the tide gauge records. Here we show that this extreme SLR event is a combined effect of two factors: an observed 30% downturn of the Atlantic meridional overturning circulation during 2009–10, and a significant negative North Atlantic Oscillation index. The extreme nature of the 2009–10 SLR event suggests that such a significant downturn of the Atlantic overturning circulation is very unusual. During the twenty-first century, climate models project an increase in magnitude and frequency of extreme interannual SLR events along this densely populated coast.

Subject terms:

Bbc alluded to that yesterday.. Very interesting

Bbc alluded to that yesterday.. Very interesting

OK...it has been 5 years since the major increase...what has taken place in the interim?

I can remember reading the NOAA press release back in 2010 when they still weren't sure of the exact cause.

Desalination was posed a while back, though I can't find the article. Desalination by the introduction of cold fresh water near the Artic could not only lead to more water volume and therefore a rise, but it also can lead to cooling SST'S leading to lower pressure which likewise allows for water rise (like storm surge with hurricanes) . This theory proposed could also help explain why we are stuck with an elusive - NAO.

Desalination was posed a while back, though I can't find the article. Desalination by the introduction of cold fresh water near the Artic could not only lead to more water volume and therefore a rise, but it also can lead to cooling SST'S leading to lower pressure which likewise allows for water rise (like storm surge with hurricanes) . This theory proposed could also help explain why we are stuck with an elusive - NAO.

The theory goes that the warming in the arctic will melt the glaciers, the glacial melt will introduce soo much freshwater into the Atlantic that the Gulf Stream will collapse...and the collapse of the most important ocean current for Europe & Eastern N. America will precipitate another Ice Age..

The theory goes that the warming in the arctic will melt the glaciers, the glacial melt will introduce soo much freshwater into the Atlantic that the Gulf Stream will collapse...and the collapse of the most important ocean current for Europe & Eastern N. America will precipitate another Ice Age..

It seems sound in theory...and I can say categorically that a Gulf Stream shut down would turn London & NYC into Churchill, Manitoba within a few weeks. 

It seems sound in theory...and I can say categorically that a Gulf Stream shut down would turn London & NYC into Churchill, Manitoba within a few weeks.

Not so much NYC, as it is still pretty far south and continental so it wouldn't have as much an effect. All though we would dry out as cold season storms would have less moisture to work with and would be far weaker.

London would be fuked big time!!

Oh and one more thing....and no, I don't watch that afternoon Fox News show...I had my Dish Net disconnected over a year ago...but does anyone sort of think of The Man With Two Brains and Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr whenever the HRRR is mentioned...it happens to me like *every* time.  

I do believe that thought has occurred to me.  I was discussing this the other day over tea with Ann Amellmahaye.

And we thought the January blizzard was a bust for the NWS look at Atlanta today!!! They shut the city down early and had rain not a flake. The WC was all over this too. They basically said the mayor of Atlanta who was going by the NWS was wrong. Granted why happened last year was worse with the opposite happening. Not a good winter for the NWS

Archived