joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter Thread - Part 2

IsentropicLift

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1980's type winters were not that bad for the interior.

^^ Unless you ran a ski area without significant snowmaking.

1970's - 80's winters killed the only formal ski area on LI:

http://www.nelsap.org/ny/bald.html

If they had survived 1980, it wouldn't have been for long.  Of course political will to maintain liability insurance and Brookhaven politician's profound lack of understanding of why anyone would be interested in winter sports had a lot to do with it also.

Think of all the LI folks that could have gotten introduced to downhill skiing close to home over the past 15 years.

screen-shot-2013-09-03-at-9-29-07-am.png

up-r2ni1nemp9ac230l.jpg

In my small municipality of 10 square miles we have at least a dozen snow plows and probably 6-8 salt/sanders. Some places in SNJ don't have that many county wide.

I moved this over here in banter since its where it belongs.  Anyway, I don't doubt how many plows your municipality has, I just find it very hard to believe that its a factor at all in the NWS criteria.  Do you think the NWS takes into account snow removal budgets as well? Just because a town has a bunch of plows doesn't mean it has the operating budget to deploy them, for example.  

I moved this over here in banter since its where it belongs.  Anyway, I don't doubt how many plows your municipality has, I just find it very hard to believe that its a factor at all in the NWS criteria.  Do you think the NWS takes into account snow removal budgets as well? Just because a town has a bunch of plows doesn't mean it has the operating budget to deploy them, for example.  

Well my thought process on that is advisory/warning criteria is based on overall impact, and a lot of that impact is driving conditions. For example, NYC is a lot more capable of handling a 4" snowfall than Atlantic City is. Warning criteria snowfall is parts of the south is only an inch or two whereas up here we barely flinch at under 3".

Well my thought process on that is advisory/warning criteria is based on overall impact, and a lot of that impact is driving conditions. For example, NYC is a lot more capable of handling a 4" snowfall than Atlantic City is. Warning criteria snowfall is parts of the south is only an inch or two whereas up here we barely flinch at under 3".

True.  I wonder what the NWS does use to get its criteria.  Average snowfall has to obviously be a factor in there.

It's based on annual snowfall. Areas with higher annual snowfall get higher warning criteria. Mt Holly changed theirs for Philly this year because Philly is essentially from a climatological standpoint different now then historically. Our average the past 20 years is significantly higher than it used to be.

Any guesses when we'll see a -2 daily AO reading?

We are in a rare club of no -2 readings for DJF since 1950.

Latest first -2 or lower winter (DJF) AO readings since 1950:

14-15........?

06-07.......2/4

99-00.......2/18

98-99.......1/31

94-95.......3/7

92-93.......3/2

90-91.......2/8

88-89.......4/18

82-83.......2/1

74-75.......3/28

71-72.......2/3

56-57.......2/13

Meh, -nao isnt the death sentence many assume in spring. There was a post from Adam or HM a few years ago explaining how it can actually give us some decent weather...cant find it though :(

Agreed, I remember reading this as well.  Perhaps one of the pros, much smarter than you or me, can shed some light on that.

They say this forum is bad, but man the NE forum with that one poster, who will remain unnamed, I'm sure you all know who it is. Boy, it's actually frightening. All they did was mention the possibility that it's going to get mild next week and possibly stay mild through the middle of March, then cool down at the end. You would have thought they just told him a close relative died and he went into deep denial and grief, his posts borderline on psychotic, attacking the mets there, just crazy...

This'll be my last post on AmWX (maybe at some point I'll be back but I'm having my account deleted). It was great interacting with most of you and going through some crazy times and snowstorms, but the BS in general has gotten out of hand lately, and I'm done, up to getting PM's today from a poster saying "you must be bitter that you're living in Texas now and can't get snow, that's why you're like this now", and getting trolled for giving an opinion I at least back up that people don't like, while the weenies here are never challenged. The drama and bickering has also been pissing me off for a while, and it all just has become too much. And the poster who I won't name does have a point-it's a new start for me now, and I'm done with the BS. Later. 

This'll be my last post on AmWX (maybe at some point I'll be back but I'm having my account deleted). It was great interacting with most of you and going through some crazy times and snowstorms, but the BS in general has gotten out of hand lately, and I'm done, up to getting PM's today from a banned poster saying "you must be bitter that you're living in Texas now and can't get snow, that's why you're like this now", and getting trolled for giving an opinion I at least back up that people don't like, while the weenies here are never challenged. The drama and bickering has also been pissing me off for a while, and it all just has become too much. And the banned poster who I won't name does have a point-it's a new start for me now, and I'm done with the BS. Later.

Man, don't leave. Winter is almost over. The bickering will stop. Your a great poster.

Archived