• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter Thread - Part 2

IsentropicLift

Trying to figure out where that is. Where was your friend headed? It looks too big to be a south shore bay. Hard to tell witout and land reference points. The sound or maybe peconic bay?

My guess is that is a picture of the Sound looking towards the east shortly after takeoff.  If it were the Great South Bay I would expect to see the Robert Moses Bridge.  The main runway at ISP runs NE-SW and the shot is from the right side of the plane.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me the nam looks good. That mix doesn't look terrible as long as the low passes to our south. The pink (probably sleet, didn't check the soundings) in reality it would most likely be snow.

I did, column cools enough for snow by hour 54, but then at 57 and 60 an above freezing layer shows up near 750mb.  Not saying it would be right, but there would be some sleet with that sounding.

That makes it an atrocious run. ;)

Pattern recognition be darned: when your wettest and most northerly solution, by a wide margin, is from the long-range NAM, you lean south and drier. The immediate metro still stands to do quite well on Thursday, but latitude won't be your friend.

It's so obvious and so sad it that this even needs to be posted. With that said, glad you did.

Two hours.  That's how long it took to detail out the driveway and roadside snowbanks to prep for two more storms.  Top to bottom, all 80 feet of my driveway the banks are a consistent 6 1/2 feet  high with a huge 9 footer at the end where it meets the street.  A few minutes after I finished the big town plow came by moving the banks back, now they are three feet tall the entire length of the street with 5-7 foot humps at the end of most driveways.  The difference in driveway pile size between the shovelers and the blowers is pretty significant.

That's the problem with this board and it leads to a lot of bickering. The snow weenies need to start rooting for one another. I know I always do.

I'm not sure who's worse, those that openly root for areas to get screwed, or those that respond to them. The latter only encourage the behavior to continue.

I'm not sure who's worse, those that openly root for areas to get screwed, or those that respond to them. The latter only encourage the behavior to continue.

I find the whole rooting for anything related to weather to be, well, odd.  Its gonna do what it's gonna do.  Have you ever heard TWC interview a snowstorm after the fact..."So hey, Snowstorm Garth (or whatever name they come up with), why did you decide to move south late in the game like that?"  "Well, ya know, I could really hear those Philly fans rooting for me tonight, they really energized me so I decided to dump on them." 

I find the whole rooting for anything related to weather to be, well, odd.  Its gonna do what it's gonna do.  Have you ever heard TWC interview a snowstorm after the fact..."So hey, Snowstorm Garth (or whatever name they come up with), why did you decide to move south late in the game like that?"  "Well, ya know, I could really hear those Philly fans rooting for me tonight, they really energized me so I decided to dump on them." 

:D

I just got a mental image of someone named Garth dumping on Philly fans

A little friendly 'competition' (in the broadest sense, of course) can be fun. It's pretty lousy to discuss your desire for somebody to get torched or fringed, but in the game of jackpots, a little 'neener neener' business never hurt anyone.

People take their climo and snow totals personally here though, so "attacking" those is like attacking the person. I always find it funny how some attribute personal characteristics to how much snow they get. Look at how crazy the IMBYism here among some. I made the mistake of poking the North Shore hornet nest last week talking about the last storm. People take these things way too seriously.

People take their climo and snow totals personally here though, so "attacking" those is like attacking the person. I always find it funny how some attribute personal characteristics to how much snow they get. Look at how crazy the IMBYism here among some. I made the mistake of poking the North Shore hornet nest last week talking about the last storm. People take these things way too seriously.

Without question, one of the biggest issues on this board.

Without question, one of he biggest issues on this board.

The thing about that that bothers me, is that I believe some cook the books to prove their points.  That is a huge no-no in a scientific area and it is rampant on these boards.  There is not much you can do about that, but it sucks.

Archived