Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Nor'easter Storm Discussion 2/5-2/6

dryslot

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ukie isn't that enthused either...it's got decent overrunning...esp for CNE, but that last second coastal is probably a tick east of 00z...again, this is shaping up as an advisory event or lower to me. We just need a better western ridge than what is present in this one.

It would tap you too, to the tune of about 2-4.

I think the 12z euro moves a little more toward the mean; we just haven't seen enough amplified solutions -- consistently or otherwise -- across the guidance options to think it's a realistic outcome yet/by this time. Glancing blow seems to be the idea.

That said, I have literally nowhere to put another 4" of snow if we get it. So, say what you will about "advisory level," it's a high impact to me with relatively low accumulations.

This is actually quite true...  It's no different than Dallas' NWS issuing a winter storm warning for 3-5" of snow and .10 ice, when that's advisory for Albany.  It's a matter of relative impact -- same in a situation like now.  Roof loading is an issue for those structures that didn't benefit as much from scarping winds.  It is gentle fluff, but as Brian also correctly intimated ...even fluff starts to add up when pressing down 12" events cyclically... Then if it did rain, woah.   But yeah, 3-5" might be considerable as a warning for much of the area do to the immense civil engineering task at hand.  

It's a fast flow regime again ... albeit transient, it would appear.   Much of earlier January was freak show of wind velocity in the L/W and it wouldn't allow in situ S/W any room to amp up.  Shear fest as it were....  But, the flow relaxed and the blizzard immediately broke....   This last event was really more of an NJ model low, as it's deepening and production was more longitudinal than N-S.  

The storm for Monday isn't dead in my mind, because ...the flow starts to relax, and when that does, there are two aspects more 50,000 foot conceptual in nature to contend with.

1) There will be a lot of cold air around, and baroclinic zones will have good thermal packing to offer steepish frontal slopes and so forth.. Comparatively weaker mid level jet perturbations can over-perform when there is sharper frontal tapestry.

2) The flow remains, overall, in a +PNAP ...probably instructed by the ongoing and erstwhile +PNA.  Which means ... correction vector is toward more western ridge than less.

These two base-line factors mean that anything in the middle/extended range modeled is actually doing so during a gamblers hot streak (so to speak..).  The pattern is powder-keg.  

I am also willing to hunch that barring any details ...those deep amplitude extended range GFS ideas have more legs than usual, too.   Buuut, this post probably belongs in the Pattern thread...

Why sarcasm?

The runs were dissapointing...we all wanted to see another 6-12" Friday, and another 10-20" Monday.

Did we expect it?

Different concept....

Yes, Totally different concept that some gloss over.

I never bought into either event so i guess it is semantics but i was just elated at the chance for all towns to be crippled, but alas just sorta like "awww man" that would have been great, where as i reserve disappointment for getting shafted in imminent storms

Archived