SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Nor'easter Storm Discussion 2/5-2/6

dryslot

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at the Euro ens, the mean looks nice, but there are quite a few amped up members in there that are rain for eastern areas and that's screwing with the mean QPF. Generally the split is between something like the op Euro and something like the GGEM/NAM. As of right now I'd lean toward the latter scenario, but even another 3-5/4-6 is going to cause a lot of problems for areas that have 30-40+ OTG.

If the GFS joins the party, I leave Savannah on Thursday and come home for a few days.  Gotta rake the roof (is what I am telling the him)

The GFS was better at 12z, I think it will slowly come around like it has on these last few events, And yes, The roof rake is coming out after this one

So i just took a look at the 12z GFS and I do think we'll see a correction towards a Euro/GGEM type scenario.  I've enclosed the 500mb maps for the 66 and 78h panels.  I've circled the southern stream vorts.  As you can see in the 1st image on the left the vort is pretty potent and in the 2nd image it's barely discernible.  We've seen this in the past with the GFS where it makes these southerns stream vorts disappear.  It's what we all refer to as the SE bias of the GFS.  So we should begin to see a correction in the upcoming runs.

post-238-0-44086600-1422914252_thumb.gif

So i just took a look at the 12z GFS and I do think we'll see a correction towards a Euro/GGEM type scenario.  I've enclosed the 500mb maps for the 66 and 78h panels.  I've circled the southern stream vorts.  As you can see in the 1st image on the left the vort is pretty potent and in the 2nd image it's barely discernible.  We've seen this in the past with the GFS where it makes these southerns stream vorts disappear.  It's what we all refer to as the SE bias of the GFS.  So we should begin to see a correction in the upcoming runs.

attachicon.gif12z GFS 500Mb.GIF

Euro Ops or Euro ensemble?

So where are we at this point?

Tell me where I am wrong:

Euro is a crusher for GC to ORH to Dendrite to Jeff with changeover risks in SNE

UK is similar to Euro but not such a crusher.  GGEM is the same.

NAM is a light SNE event but trending nw

GFS is a light SNE event but trending nw

Not in range yet for RGEM.

Anyone know how the JMA is?

Euro Ops or Euro ensemble?

I feel the Op Euro went phase happy and over-amplified it.  That's a know bias we've seen with the Euro in addition to it holding back energy in the SW US.  I'm just point out that we should see a correction back West with the GFS on this potential.  The 12z Euro Mean would be a sweet track right now for a lot of us but we don't know if that is even correct right now.

Ok, so...

Euro and UK both hits, Euro ensembles better for SNE than the Op, with less mixing - yes?

GGEM is good not great?

GGEM is widespread 4-6", call that what you will. Overall though that's a pretty accurate assessment.

I can't post Ukie maps, but it seems that it's roughly advisory from HVN east, BOS east maybe sniffs low end warning.

BOX 4PM AFD

WEDNESDAY NIGHT INTO FRIDAY...LOW CONFIDENCE.

LARGE AREA OF UNCERTAINTY IN THIS PORTION OF THE FORECAST. AMERICAN
MODELS HAVE SIDED WITH THE GFS RESULTING IN A FRONT PUSHING THROUGH
THE REGION WEDNESDAY NIGHT INTO THURSDAY. EXPECT PRECIP TO DEVELOP
ALONG AS WELL AS BEHIND THE FRONT IN MORE OF AN ANA-FRONTAL SYSTEM.
THE EC AND UKMET HOWEVER SHOW A MIDWEST LOW MOVING THROUGH THE
NORTHEAST AND SOUTH OF NANTUCKET DEEPENING OUT INTO THE MARITIMES.
REGARDLESS BOTH OF THESE SYSTEMS SHOW PRECIP MOVING IN DURING THIS
TIMEFRAME. HOW IT FORMS AND THE EXACT TIMING IS STILL UNCERTAIN BUT
AM CONCERN THAT THE EC ENSEMBLES SHOW GOOD SUPPORT IN A COASTAL
REDEVELOPMENT ON THURSDAY INTO FRIDAY. HAVE INCREASED POPS BUT DID
NOT BUMP UP TO LIKELY DUE TO LARGE UNCERTAINTY ON TIMING. HOPEFULLY
GUIDANCE COMES IN BETTER AGREEMENT AS WE COULD POTENTIALLY SEE MORE
SNOW...AND ICE ACCUMULATIONS...ALSO ANOTHER ROUND OF WIND CHILL ADV
FOR THE COLD SURGE MOVING IN BEHIND THE FRONT/SYSTEM.

This is nuts if this hits. Starting to lose track of all these storms

i'm starting to lose faith in these threats just because of sheer probability.....I mean, at some point, one must figure that climo is going to drag one of these threats by the hair, and propel it into failure.

It just has to intervene, doesn't it?

Archived