joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Nor'easter Storm Discussion 2/5-2/6

dryslot

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Give me an amped run to the canal. We're still running in the red in GC. But, this seems to be the way the 14-15 winter wants to roll.

We might want to rename this thread to discuss 'frontal passage' instead of 'significant nor'easter'......

-.6/-6

sometimes i even hope for them bc if the air it bulldozes into is strong enough ill get a hellacious fe dump and then seal it with some sleet before dsing

Looks like it will come back a bit West from 06z.  Looking at the 36h panel, trough is a bit sharper raisiing heights over the coastline.

Ridge out west is pumped up a bit higher too.

It's a big shift for the ncep guidance and I suspect the GFS will jump too as it started almost immediately.   I don't know how much I buy the whole data rich/poor thing but it's pretty clear in THIS pattern models are really struggling before the key features/kickers etc are on land.  You can see the s/w coming into Missouri midway through, and that'll be one of the keys to watch.   Need that to appear stronger each run, part of a process that slows things down and helps to get the trough more N/S earlier

It's a big shift for the ncep guidance and I suspect the GFS will jump too as it started almost immediately.   I don't know how much I buy the whole data rich/poor thing but it's pretty clear in THIS pattern models are really struggling before the key features/kickers etc are on land.  You can see the s/w coming into Missouri midway through, and that'll be one of the keys to watch.   Need that to appear stronger each run, part of a process that slows things down and helps to get the trough more N/S earlier

Well I'm suspect of the GFS since it's squashed the southern s/w as of yesterday and I've seen the GFS slowly getting a clue that there is a s/w there.  I think it corrects west some as well.

I think models are struggling because most of these systems have had their origins in the northern stream, which zips right along. 

I see potential system as a southern stream dominant solution with the northern stream diving in and catching it at just the right time.

I haven't really looked at this next one closely to be honest, I was speaking of these past few systems.

Either way, I guess modeling is just having difficulty with the phasing of the two streams, which is understandable.

I haven't really looked at this next one closely to be honest, I was speaking of these past few systems.

Either way, I guess modeling is just having difficulty with the phasing of the two streams, which is understandable.

Correct, which is why I'd lean on a Euro type solution since it typically handles these interactions better than most.

These last few systems have shown up late on the modeling and pop up out of nowhere in a couple instances

We will see re the rest of the guidance.  It's just not enough on this run, timing breaks worse and the main low...there's no mechanism to get the Mexican energy up the coast in time as what digs into the TN river valley is just too weak, by the time the northern stream catches it and starts to pull it up it's already gone.

We'll see.  Window is closing rapidly.

Euro has had it in one form or another for 3 consecutive runs. It's coming.

I think so far this has been the season of the consensus. Many years it's been everything tugging toward the Euro sooner or later once the Euro locks in first.

Lately, and this may just be my perception, but it's actually seemed more like middle ground is the way to go. And right now middle ground is a sort of 3-6/4-8 east-ish hit, especially given that the Euro has ticked east a couple times from a prior solution that gave a bit of rain here initially.

Unless the GFS ticks west substantially AND the Euro maintains its solution or presents something more amplified at 12z, the goalposts are relatively narrow with the higher end potentials on the outside looking given the relatively short time frame for wiggle room.

Archived