Newest Member
    joxey
Nor'easter Storm Discussion 2/5-2/6

dryslot

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm moving to Eastport

Should've done that two weeks ago.  Climo would indicate that at some point later this winter the storms are going to run farther north, and they'll get rain while your hill stays snow.  However, another east-first event would be consistent for heart-of-winter in recent years; the foothills play catch-up in March.

What's fascinating from here on out is the incremental impact that nickel/dimers can have.  Driving to work this morning, it was really something to see how hard it is to see any intersection.

There isn't much room for this one, so I'm staying on the lower end for this one...advisory snows or less.

But admittedly, there's some potential for it to pop just in time for a bigger event...esp for eastern folk and up into Maine.

I'd tap the 12z GFS.

It would tap you too, to the tune of about 2-4.

I think the 12z euro moves a little more toward the mean; we just haven't seen enough amplified solutions -- consistently or otherwise -- across the guidance options to think it's a realistic outcome yet/by this time. Glancing blow seems to be the idea.

That said, I have literally nowhere to put another 4" of snow if we get it. So, say what you will about "advisory level," it's a high impact to me with relatively low accumulations.

Isn't the Euro the outlier of the models?

Yes...but not a severe outlier...the GGEM and Ukie were not far off last night. We'll see how they do at 12z here after the American guidance has come west a bit.

GFS was actually more of an outlier than the Euro last night.

I'd really like to see the UK and GEM hold their ground, or else I'll really lose enthusiasm for anything of consequence.

Again, for me, it wouldn't take much to get to "consequence" but that's largely because of what's already down.

Lately the rhythm has seemed like "small end of week system, huge start of week storm" starting two Saturdays ago. That's more anecdotal than scientific of course, and I do not mean by mentioning it to posit that Thursday should remain meager that Monday might again rock. Or do I?!

Again, for me, it wouldn't take much to get to "consequence" but that's largely because of what's already down.

Lately the rhythm has seemed like "small end of week system, huge start of week storm" starting two Saturdays ago. That's more anecdotal than scientific of course, and I do not mean by mentioning it to posit that Thursday should remain meager that Monday might again rock. Or do I?!

Yes, I  know what you mean...but I still wouldn't deem 1-3" as anything of much consequence. 

Archived