• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Med Range Discussion days 3-10 pbp II

buckeyefan1

Thats concerning with cold air and dry air as well.  Very low Td's around here.

For people concerned what can go wrong, the big thing I see is the NAM is not exactly explosive with the precip from 78-84 and there is serious confluence from just off the Mid-Atlantic and SE Coast due to the New England blizzard, if that is slow to get out of the way I could see this shearing to pieces and nobody much east of AL or WRN-CNTRL TN seeing anything, the 2nd wave then may amplify and warm everyone.  I recall a setup like this maybe 15 years ago where we epically busted on snow in ERN TN and NRN GA, they had 4-5 inches on the AL/GA border and not even a flake at ATL as everything sheared out as it went east.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think winter has been found, can we actually get a winter storm?  My early thoughts and a map of my thoughts and where I think the **BEST** shot at this point where we could see some wintry weather.  Enjoy!  Please like my page if not already, thanks everyone!  y'all rock!!

https://www.facebook.com/ChriswxmanSimmons

00z NAM has freezing rain and snow for North GA at hr81-84  ^_^

Has surface temps generally in the upper 20s, snow/sleet/freezing rain depending on where you are with wetbulbs in the 23 to 25 range. Actual temps in the mountains are in the low 20s. Pretty nice foundation for a locked in cold airmass for the main event.

For people concerned what can go wrong, the big thing I see is the NAM is not exactly explosive with the precip from 78-84 and there is serious confluence from just off the Mid-Atlantic and SE Coast due to the New England blizzard, if that is slow to get out of the way I could see this shearing to pieces and nobody much east of AL or WRN-CNTRL TN seeing anything, the 2nd wave then may amplify and warm everyone.  I recall a setup like this maybe 15 years ago where we epically busted on snow in ERN TN and NRN GA, they had 4-5 inches on the AL/GA border and not even a flake at ATL as everything sheared out as it went east.

Thats a really good point.  I didn't think about that...It could easily get sheared apart.  See if this continues, but either way...what falls in GA if any would be frozen or freezing for sure.

Has surface temps generally in the upper 20s, snow/sleet/freezing rain depending on where you are with wetbulbs in the 23 to 25 range. Actual temps in the mountains are in the low 20s. Pretty nice foundation for a locked in cold airmass for the main event.

Honestly, Chris, thats what concerns me for us *especially y'all way* because as you know that could REALLY lock that into the forecast and it will be underestimated by the models. 

That's not looking like alot of moisture. Is the second wave going to come? That's also alot earlier, is that around noon Monday?

The nam is a lot faster but it matches the euro's precip. The 12z euro's first "wave" is pretty weak, light and to the south..affecting mainly north ga/sc with only 0.10 to at most 0.25 before precip explodes later. Folks should keep in mind that precip associated with the main system is another 24 hours away. Folks should also keep in mind this is the 84 hour nam.,..it's pretty horrible 95% of the time. If it was showing a blizzard at 84 hours i wouldn't trust it. I am interested however in the type of airmass in place..that's a lot more reliable than precip/storm tracks, etc.

THE 50/50 low on this is pretty classic. It will help immensely setting up confluence over the NE and allowing HP to linger around up there longer than it normally would. The trends usually go in our favor in these situations.

Does that force moisture and cold south? Sorry for the dumb question

I have a question about the first batch of precip? If it comes in and gives us snow and sleet or whatever , and it wetbulbs the atmosphere, then there is say 12 hours till the next "batch" , could it slowly warm in between precip, would we have " wasted" the evaporational cooling on the light stuff?

The nam is a lot faster but it matches the euro's precip. The 12z euro's first "wave" is pretty weak, light and to the south..affecting mainly north ga/sc with only 0.10 to at most 0.25 before precip explodes later. Folks should keep in mind that precip associated with the main system is another 24 hours away. Folks should also keep in mind this is the 84 hour nam.,..it's pretty horrible 95% of the time. If it was showing a blizzard at 84 hours i wouldn't trust it. I am interested however in the type of airmass in place..that's a lot more reliable than precip/storm tracks, etc.

very true...NAM has a pretty DRY airmass in there for us.  That could realy "enhance" that wedge

Verbatim, that's a crazy nose of moist air pushing into north Georgia and upstate. That doesn't look good for that area as far as evaporational cooling or sustained CAD is concerned.

That placement of the wedge on that map is not right, IMO ! It's not going to warm up in Anderson , Pickens and such, while it's alot colder in CAE!?

Whether the wedge is "enhanced' or not, that same atmospheric battle will be fought as any other time. In order to have precip even begin, the dry air needs to be overcome. The drier the wedge, the more moisture needed to do the job. The moisture arrives with WAA riding over the wedge. The longer it takes to saturate the column the more precip is 'wasted'. Warm air continues to flow north with the moisture as the column slowly saturates. While a super wedge may hang on for a longer period before being scoured out late in the event, it will delay the onset of precipitation at the beginning. The radar will be lit up with virga and the moaning and groaning in the forum will increase with every scan.

In the end, it will most likely turn out like almost every other similar storm. The usual spots will have their usual type of precip in the usual amounts. Yes, a rare event will occur now and then, when blocking slows a storm while an unusually strong HP in perfect position continually reenforces the wedge throughout the event and we get that once in 20 year storm. It takes a perfect setup though and I don't see it with this one, at least so far.

Whether the wedge is "enhanced' or not, that same atmospheric battle will be fought as any other time. In order to have precip even begin, the dry air needs to be overcome. The drier the wedge, the more moisture needed to do the job. The moisture arrives with WAA riding over the wedge. The longer it takes to saturate the column the more precip is 'wasted'. Warm air continues to flow north with the moisture as the column slowly saturates. While a super wedge may hang on for a longer period before being scoured out late in the event, it will delay the onset of precipitation at the beginning. The radar will be lit up with virga and the moaning and groaning in the forum will increase with every scan.

In the end, it will most likely turn out like almost every other similar storm. The usual spots will have their usual type of precip in the usual amounts. Yes, a rare event will occur now and then, when blocking slows a storm while an unusually strong HP in perfect position continually reenforces the wedge throughout the event and we get that once in 20 year storm. It takes a perfect setup though and I don't see it with this one, at least so far.

Very true, although one thing to keep in mind is that models do take evaporation to saturate the atmosphere into account, so there's no need to subtract from QPF for it unless you think the wedge will be drier than modeled.  The models will take that into account.

Archived