• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Winter Med Range Discussion days 3-10 pbp II

buckeyefan1

Come on James, tell me you are kidding right?  Suppression concerns, this winter?  :)

Mostly, but, hey, we've been pretty good at missing storms this winter, so why not miss it from being too far north! :lol:

this is from a well respected poster in the Northeast from another board. Don't like what he has to say at all.

A couple things. 1.If the storm takes an 18z GFS track, it will NOT give big snows to GA/NC and Southeast Virginia. Not in a progressive pattern, and we all have seen cold snaps be unimpressive compared to modeled. Eastern and Northern New England into Nova Scotia would do good though. 2.This could still trend back to NW solutions easily. 3. The NW QPF shield would be way better with HP. Could be another synoptic/localized event. The trend is clear right now though.    

Well, it might not be "big" by NE standards where they get 80" of snow in two weeks, but I'm pretty sure most of us would consider 6" to be a pretty decent snowstorm.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol sounds like a wishcast to me, 18z track with that hp gives us all wintry wx every day of the week and twice on sunday.

I agree, you can try and spin things any which way you please at this point. I just wish it were easier to sort through what might be wishcasting, and what is discussion based on sound meteorological thinking.

Mostly, but, hey, we've been pretty good at missing storms this winter, so why not miss it from being too far north! :lol:

Well, it might not be "big" by NE standards where they get 80" of snow in two weeks, but I'm pretty sure most of us would consider 6" to be a pretty decent snowstorm.

Well we still have a HP sliding out to sea, that's never good, but I guess we will worry about that later.  Plus, this thing can only go so far east with that HP.

It tracks right over central NC. Then again, you'd kind of expect that considering its initial condition is the hr 84 NAM.

EDIT: That's the 06z run. The 18z tracks through S GA and 8s presumably much better.

Yeah, the 18z jackpots I-85, through GA/SC/NC.  Snowmap is going to be nuts, going to aggravate Jon if we post it though.

I know someone this morning mentioned that the JMA and NAVGEM were still showing cutters, but the JMA came way south on the 12z run and the 18z NAVGEM is also much further south. All models appear to be in agreement on a Southeast Winter Storm now.

yeah that was me, not that anyone should be worried what they show anyways lol. But it is nice to see all models converging closer to a solution.,

I get it that infrequent posters are generally ignored and I don't want to throw cold water on the excitement or jinx the potential for a winter storm in the SE, especially IMBY....but, should we speculate some about what could go "wrong" -- at least briefly? -- so that we, 1.) aren't utterly disappointed; and 2.) understand the dynamics at play a little better?   Or, not.

I get it that infrequent posters are generally ignored and I don't want to throw cold water on the excitement or jinx the potential for a winter storm in the SE, especially IMBY....but, if we don't address what could go "wrong" -- at least briefly? -- are we "jinxing" it????

OK, what could go wrong. The high gets out of here too fast with no blocking? I don't see moisture being a problem but maybe Temps I guess. 

I get it that infrequent posters are generally ignored and I don't want to throw cold water on the excitement or jinx the potential for a winter storm in the SE, especially IMBY....but, should we speculate some about what could go "wrong" -- at least briefly? -- so that we, 1.) aren't utterly disappointed; and 2.) understand the dynamics at play a little better?   Or, not.

Worst case scenario...

There ends up being 2 waves... the first wave dampens out and provides nothing more than flurries for most... the second main storm arrives later on Tuesday. The low pressure cuts through Nothern GA/Upstate SC from this 2nd wave. 850's warm and high pressure slides out leaving everybody with 33 and rain except the Mountains.

Worst case scenario...

There ends up being 2 waves... the first wave dampens out and provides nothing more than flurries for most... the second main storm arrives later on Tuesday when 850's have warmed and high pressure has slid out leaving everybody with 33 and rain except the Mountains.

The Burrel hit the nail on the head with this statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if this does end up 2 waves. wouldn't the surface temps be effected on whether or not snow is on the ground with the first thump of snow? Does anyone think that might play an important role in how this plays out with the main event? would it also saturate the atmosphere ahead of the storm and effect the effects of the evaporational cooling later on or no?

Archived