Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 26-28 Blizzard Observations/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just went out on snow removal duty. Nice warm truck and snowblowing with a snowmobile helmet on work perfect. Did some measurements and looks like average of 14". Have areas of grass and areas of 3' drift, hard to measure. Very windy and gusty.

Guys , I don't call ppl posters out , that Framingham total is bogus guaranteed (slant stick every Single storm)

maybe if this band sits over them they will hit it legit

Yeah the radar doesn't match that getting to 30"  Seems a bit high.

Sherborn and Natick are not far from there and they have 19 only 2 hours before.

I am a long time lurker, the threads here are very entertaining to read when a good storm is coming up :)

Here in Sturbridge MA, the average measurement out in the 30'x30' square of driveway in front of my house is 14" total for the storm. It's good to get some proper snow, but like the rest of you I always want more :) Not much has been falling for the last hour, I don't expect to see more than another couple of inches max watching how the storm bands have been so fond of falling *just* short.

I do find it interesting that the towns next door have been reporting 20" - Southbridge, Charlton, and Worcester's at 24+. There's definitely a big sharp accumulation fall-off in a very short distance heading west from those stationary bands that sat over Worcester all night.

taking the last 4 hours on whole ... it seems for all intents and purposes the big mega band that 30 inched us out here in the Ayer to Shrewbury axis has decayed, and redeveloped over you guys back over the coastal plain.  

Interesting... I'm now edging over 30" here... the big accumulations waned off to light snow and blowing snow about two hours ago, and since the add on has been creeping at best.  

Guys , I don't call ppl posters out , that Framingham total is bogus guaranteed (slant stick every Single storm)

maybe if this band sits over them they will hit it legit

The winds have to make it difficult.  The guy may not even know he is slant sticking as all the snow off his roof is in his front yard... but he probably truly believes he has 30" on the ground.  He likely does, it just some of it came from somewhere else nearby, lol.

I am a long time lurker, the threads here are very entertaining to read when a good storm is coming up :)

Here in Sturbridge MA, the average measurement out in the 30'x30' square of driveway in front of my house is 14" total for the storm. It's good to get some proper snow, but like the rest of you I always want more :) Not much has been falling for the last hour, I don't expect to see more than another couple of inches max watching how the storm bands have been so fond of falling *just* short.

I do find it interesting that the towns next door have been reporting 20" - Southbridge, Charlton, and Worcester's at 24+. There's definitely a big sharp accumulation fall-off in a very short distance heading west from those stationary bands that sat over Worcester all night.

Used to live in Sturbridge (new Boston rd) and it definitely wasn't prone to high snow totals.

No offense because I have full respect for the NWS BOX office but they were still calling for 5-9" totals out here in their 9am update when non-mets here had dismissed that possibility hours earlier. What were they seeing in the short term?

I think they do it to avoid the full "its over stick a fork in it" call and then have it actually snow under some odd band or something.  They never just go from like 24-36" forecast to 3-6".  They'll slowly taper it each time.  ALB did the same thing...people were still hounding them this morning when they dropped it back by like 50% but it was obvious that wasn't going to work out either.

Its gotta be hard for them to sit in the hot seat, with a forecast for 24"+ somewhere, and you know that forecast knows beyond a doubt there is absolutely no way it happens.  But how does he/she go about changing that without the full brunt of media mayhem. 

I still can't believe the busts west of like ORH-TOL in this one.  One for the record books in terms of NWS forecast busts.

This is going to allow metrowest and BOS to catch up to the ORH county up I-495 totals that were racked up earlier in the deformation rotting band.

This is what I said yesterday when we might see some early "leaders" in the snowfall further west but then back east might catch up....though I didn't expect the band to be quite this intense over BOS and nearby areas...that has to be 3"+ per hour.

Looks like the heavier band is finally reaching the foothills.  At 7 AM Famington reported 1" while LEW had 10.5".  The 12-16" forecast for SNJ busted to 1" or so where we're visiting grandkids - they're having a blast in it anyway.  Apparently we got dryslotted all night, with -SN stating about 6 AM as winds backed to NW.  Snow has stopped and the sun is poking thru the clouds.

The winds have to make it difficult.  The guy may not even know he is slant sticking as all the snow off his roof is in his front yard... but he probably truly believes he has 30" on the ground.  He likely does, it just some of it came from somewhere else nearby, lol.

No powder , it is EVERY storm from that person

Archived