• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February mid to long range threats discussion

Ji

It's a really tough one to make any calls. Unfortunately it's another "complicated" evolution. I don't think suppression is much of a worry. If there is no stream interaction it could be 2 separate events with the juicier component missing south. I really don't know. Ensembles and ops are currently showing the kitchen sink. 

This guy sitting here off the coast (GEFS mean look below) as the moisture ejects from the gulf reminds me of several previous events this month and last month that looked like ice for a while but ultimately became cold rain...followed by a cold air hit that came way too late (see 1050 there). Happy to be talked off the ledge though. 

LaVe1lI.png

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 8 to 10 of the 12z GGEM are... interesting re coastal low

192 -- 1015mb MSLP east of JAX

204 -- 1012mb MSLP east of SAV

216 -- 1009mb MSLP southeast off ILM

228 -- 1003mb MSLP east of ORF

240 -- finally moves NE and out to sea

ETA:  Precip finally makes it into DC metro at hr 216, 228 decent, but better for about BR and east... 240 as low pulls away everyone still gets some snow

Looks like a decent snowstorm for most (better for eastern sections of LWX)... but the lollygagging low is a bit much

This guy sitting here off the coast (GEFS mean look below) as the moisture ejects from the gulf reminds me of several previous events this month and last month that looked like ice for a while but ultimately became cold rain...followed by a cold air hit that came way too late (see 1050 there). Happy to be talked off the ledge though. 

It's definitely a problem. It's not a great setup. Euro has a 997 over WVA and a 1027 over bermuda. lol. ugh

Eh, maybe so, but all too often around here we're "waiting for the cutter to set up the next good possibility for us."  Not trying to denigrate what you're saying, and there may be some truth to it, but it's a bit dangerous around here to hope for that (especially when the NAO is not cooperating).  As for the particular event, it is disappointing (on the GFS and Euro) to not see that big high sort of push down a bit more on the eastern side to keep the low from going too far north like some depictions had shown.  But, as has been said several times, there's awhile yet to go and I'm sure things will change back and forth in some manner.

I am not arguing with the frustration, I feel it too, but the NAO not cooperating is why we may need a cutter to score a flush hit.  We have some things working for us, the pattern isnt awful, there will be cold available due to a decent EPO/PNA combo.  The trough axis is pretty good also.  What is against us is again an awful AO/NAO combo.  So any storm that amps too soon is likely to cut, amp too late and its a strung out POS not worth tracking.  So how do we get a big hit in this pattern.  Either we need perfect timing, a high to come along as just the perfect time ahead of an STJ wave.  Thats an option.  Another way to get it done would be a phased storm but for the phasing to happen exactly where we need it.  Less likely.  Another option would be to get a cutter to drop the thermal boundary behind it and then get the next storm to develop at just the right time.  These are all viable options.  its also not a perfect setup, if the storms are not spaced well one could cut then the next get squashed.  Space too far apart and they can all cut.  Its not the ideal setup (thanks +NAO) but its one we can score with if we can get any luck. 

I am not arguing with the frustration, I feel it too, but the NAO not cooperating is why we may need a cutter to score a flush hit.  We have some things working for us, the pattern isnt awful, there will be cold available due to a decent EPO/PNA combo.  The trough axis is pretty good also.  What is against us is again an awful AO/NAO combo.  So any storm that amps too soon is likely to cut, amp too late and its a strung out POS not worth tracking.  So how do we get a big hit in this pattern.  Either we need perfect timing, a high to come along as just the perfect time ahead of an STJ wave.  Thats an option.  Another way to get it done would be a phased storm but for the phasing to happen exactly where we need it.  Less likely.  Another option would be to get a cutter to drop the thermal boundary behind it and then get the next storm to develop at just the right time.  These are all viable options.  its also not a perfect setup, if the storms are not spaced well one could cut then the next get squashed.  Space too far apart and they can all cut.  Its not the ideal setup (thanks +NAO) but its one we can score with if we can get any luck. 

This is why I believe Feb 1-2 is our best chance, even though it doesn't look that way on the surface currently.  NAO should be neutral or slightly negative around this time, so this may be our chance.  A cutter in our only -nao of the winter really would be a slap in the face. 

I see what you're saying and overall I agree with how things could happen with the hand we've been dealt.  It is frustrating and the overall setup, while not completely hostile per se, leaves us with non-ideal possibilities to score a good event.  Sorry if my comment sounded overly negative toward you, not my intent, but I admit it was written with an element of exasperation.  Too many 35 and cold rain events here this year I guess, LOL!

I still havent seen a modeled snowstorm for us via a coastal this season with 5 days or less

Word. I am also not someone who is at all happy with a "nickel and dime" to climo winter for snowfall. Past time for us to get a legit area-wide watch/warning level storm, otherwise, if we can't get one this season, this winter sucks on turbo.

Word. I am also not someone who is at all happy with a "nickel and dime" to climo winter for snowfall. Past time for us to get a legit area-wide watch/warning level storm, otherwise, if we can't get one this season, this winter sucks on turbo.

Yeah, I agree. I'm happy with small events in November or December, but they're getting old.... I'd like to see a bigger storm. Not a single winter that lacked a warning criteria storm in the past 13 years has been a good one.

Archived